DO NOT BUY: Yoobao leather iPad 2 case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by born4sky, Apr 5, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

born4sky

How cant you buy this case, its affordable and looks great. - thats exactly what I thought when I was buying it.

I received it yesterday and it's smells like some poisoned chemicals. I tried to clean it with different leather cleaners, sprayed with couple outdoor sprays, nothing worked.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DO NOT BUY IT!

2. macrumors regular

I have to agree with you on this. I returned mine because of the smell and the smartcover feature was crap. It turned off my device when the cover was turned over to the back of the ipad. I highly don't recommend it. Wait for the Chinao case which looks to be a better case.

3. macrumors 68030

It's a shame. I like the concept and I liked their first ipad cases. In fact, I used their brown leather case for ipad 1.

However, I do feel that the issues are serious.

1. Smell= People have described the smell has chemical. That's not good. They told me that the smell was so bad that they had to wash their hands like everyday and every time they use the case. Dunno why this is happening, but the issues are clear and needs to be addressed.

2. Smell is one thing, but it appears that it has an issue with sleep/wake function when the cover is folded. Again, this cover was rushed.

Bottom line, I agree with OP here. Do not buy until these two issues are resolved.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Looks like I will be having problems returning it, bought i from eBay user : electronics-deal

5. macrumors 68030

If you bought it with Amex card, just return it to AMEX. If you bought it with credit card/paypal, (You definitely did because it's ebay) then file a complain.

Don't give up without fighting.

6. macrumors regular

Have you tried contacting the seller? Most sellers take back returns as long as the item is still sell-able/new. You would only lose on the shipping and the return shipping.

7. macrumors newbie

bobbyrab

I agree with everything that has been said. The smell is worse than any toxic waste dump in NJ; it does sleep when the cover is flat behind the IPad; AND when it is SUPPOSED TO put the IPad to sleep when you close it, it is hit or miss because the cover's front edge is not flush with the back cover edge. I, like some others I guess, was impressed by the initial glowing reviews that seem to be fading once the users live with cover for awhile. Off to wash my hands again from that toxic smell!

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Smells is very bad... and its not going to go away.

9. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

After A 30 page thread..It might be too late for some :D

Thanks for the heads up.

10. macrumors 6502

Got a refund on mine. Terrible smell.

11. macrumors member

Me too.. will be returning it ..The smell is too hard to live with. Now that Yoobao is not an option.. what are you guys looking at ???

12. macrumors 6502

I went with a Dodocase.

13. macrumors newbie

bobbyrab

I am considering a ZueGue but would want to smell one first, lol. From now on, ANY case gotta pass the smell test!:p

14. macrumors member

Too bulky for my liking..

15. macrumors member

Agreed

I ordered one too thinking "how bad can it REALLY be?"...It's BAD. I'm throwing mine straight in the trash as it definitely smells toxic. As for me, I'm going with what should have been my 1st choice - Radtech Skinny. ETA is now 4/12:(

16. macrumors 6502a

Mine smelled Bad, and I complained here, but after a week of airing it out it is much better. I do wish the smart function worked perfectly. Overall the case is like what I wanted.
    early adopters suffer some due to the high demand and case manufacturers not getting actual iPads early for to test fit/function properly.
    I'm pretty happy with the case, the smell was the worst thing. I hate toxic chemical smells, and agree it came off in my hands at the beginning. I've rubbed it with cloths, and aired it out in front of fans overnight. I hear many Chinese cases come like that so it;s not just Yoobao.

17. macrumors member

I'm not sure but I think Yoobao and Chinao seems to be under one company.

18. macrumors member

I've had mine for over a week and the smell has almost vanished.

While i agree it was a toxic smell (probably knocked off a few days off my life span having it on my desk) now that its gone it is an OK $40 case.

For the record, there are other cases (pad&quill and others) that have been reported to shut the ipad2 off when the cover is folded around the back. On my Yoobao case i have to try and make it happen... it never happens while I'm using it.

Its not the best case... but for my needs i can't find anything better that is actually shipping.

~Brian

PS. You forgot to mention the leather itself.. while it is super soft, mine has so many 'natural defects' in it that the cow/pig/dog/animal must have been dragged by a car... over a gravel road... from Vietnam... before being processed into a case.

19. macrumors member

Agree

Sent mine back today to Amazon seller ...:(

20. macrumors newbie

bobbyrab

Plus, I think the pigs must have acne and bathed in cyanide twice a day and ate magnets for breakfast.

21. macrumors 68040

I just hope some of the profits go to the workers Widows. (assuming they are old enough to marry)

22. macrumors regular

It might be but the chinao case makes a synthetic leather that I hope wouldn't have the carcinogenic smell.

I'm also looking at the PixelSkin HD which looks about perfect except it doesn't have the smartcover feature.

23. macrumors newbie

Knockoff Yoobao

Is the Apple iPad 2 leather cover case with build in stand from Wonkiworld off ebay for 14.00 a knockoff of the yoobao case? If so, i wouldn't like the smell even at 14.00. I did order one and waiting on it and all i would use it for is to transport the Ipad in the vehicle as i like the smart cover at home.

24. macrumors member

yoobao and CHINAO are not the same, Chinao uses a better quality material therebsynthetic is better than Yoobaos so called genuine leather

25. macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The smell is typical with almost any case or accessory coming from Asia. I have a lot of products that came in from China and Singapore, all have the same nasty smell.
    I appreciate US made products much more.