"Do Not Disconnect" & Failure to Sync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TWTCommish, May 20, 2004.

1. TWTCommish macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought my iPod, and upon loading up iTunes and first connecting it with my FireWire adapter, I was greeted with a "Do Not Disconnect" message. It stayed there for 10 minutes, and stays indefinitely no matter how few songs I have in iTunes.

I have to use the old "Safely Remove Hardware" option from XP, and when I do, it remains empty. No songs have synced. Any idea what's up? I'm really anxious to try this thing out.

Also, on a related note, how do I disable autosyncing in iTunes?

Thanks so much for your help,

Chris

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

ummmmm, it stays there

If you are talking about "do not disconnect" on the ipod screen, it stays there reminding you to eject first before pulling the plug. Do you have automatic syncing checked. Otherwise its a drag and drop from your library or drag and drop a playlist you have made.

Autosyncing should be in the Preferences most likely, which if I remember correctly that is under "File"maybe ........ its in one of the drop down menus that go across the top of iTunes should have something to change that. I don't have a PC so I'm just guessing with the autosyncing.

3. TWTCommish thread starter macrumors newbie

Eject? The only option is "Eject Disc," which opens my CD-ROM drive.

What version of iTunes are you using? I cannot see a way to drag and drop songs in iTunes onto my iPod.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

When you select the iPod on the left side in iTunes, the "Eject Disc" becomes and "Eject iPod". At least it does on the my Mac.

Using iTunes v4.5 (31), and while the iPod is plugged in, and is on the left side in iTunes, click on song or playlist, hold and drag it up to the iPod and drop. Should start to transfer files. Again, this is how it is on the Mac, I would expect it to be the same for the PC.

Attached Files:

5. TWTCommish thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. I think that's the problem; there's no iPod icon/button on the left for me. I've just got the three next to it. Anyone run into this problem before?

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

7. TWTCommish thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried; the "Update" button remains grayed out, and when I choose the "Restore" option, it goes through the progress bar, and then says "Can't unmount iPod." Any ideas?

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Sounds to me like XP is not recognizing your iPod is there at all.

Are your firewire ports enabled on your PC? I think there should also be a firewire network connection too, and I'm not sure if that needs to be enabled or not.

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

can you connect thru firewire on windows? i guess not, and thats why its not recognizing it..you have to use usb2 i think..

cheers

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, Apple doesn't officially support connecting iPods via FireWire on Windows. You need to use USB2 if you're on a PC.

11. Synapple macrumors regular

:confused: Are you sure? The package comes with an adapter for PCs' 4pins firewire ports and the manual clearly states you have to connect via USB (and, therefore, buy the specific cable) only in case you don't have a 4pins firewire port.. I assume Apple officially supports connecting the iPod to PCs via firewire..

Anyway, can't help the original poster.. sorry :(

12. daxmax macrumors newbie