do not download iTunes 5: huge bug

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supergod, Sep 7, 2005.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    I was foolish enough to download iTunes 5 today before waiting for initial reports. Well, now I pay the price. There are a few major bugs to it. The largest one is that when I plug my 1 week old iPod to sync music, it is not detected by my computer. My iPod displays the "Do not disconnect" graphic but it does not show up on the desktop or in iTunes. So now for the time being I can't update it. In addition to that I am now having problems with touch recognition that I have never had before. The whole clickwheel is functioning screwy. Holding the play button is not powering it off and pressing the menu button is being detected as a clockwise scroll.

All I can say is that I am very dissapointed in Apple. Not only is the GUI not significantly improved (in this day of Core Image, do we still have to see the same horrible animation when we open the browser in iTunes?) but it is downright broken. Apple had better get ready on the update to this immediately.

One week old iPod and I can't sync anymore. What complete rubbish!
  2. shidoshi macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2004
    Downloaded 5.0, and everything is working just fine here with my iPod. *shrugs*
  3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    Sounds like an ipod issue to me not iTunes. Restart the ipod and see if that cures it. If that fails use an ipod firmware update to erase and reset the ipod.
  4. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    i can't even install it! it says that itunes is still running when its so pissed...
  5. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    It is more likely an iTunes problem. The iPod is brand new and worked fine with iTunes 4.9 (I synced with iTunes earlier this afternoon). As soon as I downloaded iTunes 5.0 it simply stopped working properly... really: since the firmware hasn't been updated why would that be the problem? The clickwheel stuff, yes, but not the failure to detect the iPod, that's certainly a result of the new iTunes.

What is most likely the case is that it's a problem restricted simply to my model of Power Mac. I have had problems and heard of others with problems using USB to sync with the first gen single processor Power Mac G5s so I'm assuming this is a continuation of that problem.
  6. Layer34 macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2005
    hi, you probably dont want to hear it but it is more than likely a problem with your ipod, I fix ipods all the time and the symptons you describe are the same as if the hard drive is failing or failed or the logic board has blown.

The only way to be sure is try it on a different machine with itunes 4.9 but i am pretty sure it has gone wrong.

As it is so new you can return it to apple and they will either fix it or provide a replacement unit.
  7. honeytoast macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2004
    bay area, CA
    layer34 is right. this definately sounds like hard drive failure. i have no issues with itunes 5.0 on xp or tiger
  8. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    "iTunes Broke My Clickwheel" sounds about as likely as any of the headlines on a supermarket tabloid.
  9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Everything's fine here, PowerBook running 10.4.2 and a 60Gb photo iPod.

Sees the iPod, updates fine, no problems with the iPod's operation.

I think you might have been a little unlucky.
  10. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2004
    Down the street from Jiv3turkey748
    its doing the same for me...
  11. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Try relaunching Finder, or restarting the computer??
  12. Jopling macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Ive always had a problem with the usb cable for my ipod on my PB and iMac G5. Try fire wire.
  13. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    As I understand it though the iPod isn't mounting in finder either so the issue is not linked solely to iTunes. The firmware update reinstall simply gives the Pod a clean slate with which to work from and will clear up any corruption on the device. The problem isn't an issue with your model of G5 as I have access to one and it is working fine as are other G5's.

Apple's support forums have one post containing 3 entries discussing inability to sync iTunes 5 with ipods and all the macs are different so it isn't widespread nor is it limited to specific machines. Try downloading iTunes 5 from and install it again. If you still don't get anywhere make sure your connecting the Pod directly to the mac and use the rear ports as the front ones can be unreliable. When connecting the Pod make sure it is turned off and iTunes is closed. If you get iTunes to open and the Pod to give you the 'Do not disconnect' sign then at least it is being recognised and the issue is to do with the data and syncing process. Run the diagnostic mode on the iPod, google for instructions in necessary. Let us know what happens.
  14. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I grabbed iTunes 5 a couple of hours after it was announced.
    All installed fine here. Yet to plug my iPod in though - but I agree...
    sounds like an iPod rather than an iTunes issue.

I hope all ends up well mate! I can't imagine what I would feel like if my iPod broke! Mmm maybe that is a good excuse to buy a new iPod nano... they seem to cool very cool, I am overdue for a new gadget, and it can be my day to day back up!
  15. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I got iTunes 5 at about 9:15 PM (GMT) and haven't had any problems yet. I have a 20 GB iPod G4, which synched up fine.
  16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    I know the iPod is new but have you got the latest iPod update and repaired permissions etc etc.
  17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    My iPod started behaving the same way, when I was on iTunes 4.9. My iPod wouldn't be recognized by any Mac, not just mine. It would show up on the Firewire bus in System Profiler, but no joy with iTunes.

To fix it, I had to do a total restore to the little guy. I mean erase everything.

Then, I repaired permissions on the iPod and my Mac with Disk Utility. Then installed the latest iPod software and firmware.

Plugged the iPod in, and presto, it showed up. Of course, I had to re-update my entire library onto it, but at least my iPod worked properly again.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear.
  18. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Do you have any auxiliary programs installed? For me, the issue was Sizzling Keys... go into system prefs and disable it. You should be good to go.
  19. parenthesis macrumors member

Mar 22, 2003
    Here and there
    If you have something like SizzlingKeys, Synergy, or some other program that you use to control iTunes, you need to quit it before installing.

Try going into the Activity Viewer and quitting *all* nonessential processes.

It fixed it for me, anyway
  20. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Does anyone know of a site from which I can download 4.9? 5.0 works well for me, but my friend with a 700 MHz G3 iBook is having serious issues. Would appreciate any help. Reply here or iChat me (Screen name is in my profile)

EDIT: Nevermind. Found a download link, at long last :)
  21. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    everything worked fine for me here with 5.0. I'm with the others and don't think its itunes that's screwing up on you.
  22. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Same for me.
  23. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
  24. noelister macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
  25. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    No problem here. Why does everyone seem to have trouble with updates? I've never had a problem at all with the many, many updates over the years.

I religiously run MacJanitor, then restart, then repair permissions before updating. Maybe it has something to do with that. iTunes 5.0 is rock solid for me.