Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
After two sweaty workouts the bass on these things have never been the same.
Going back.
Don't use these in the gym folks.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Some people seem to be getting on fine with them for workouts though.

Interesting fact.... some people sweat lots with a low concentrate of salt, some people hardly sweat at all, but when they do it has a very high concentrate of salt. And all the other permutations in between of both.

You might just have a faulty pair or it could be your sweat has got in and damaged them?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Going back.

Appears results are mixed. Others have used the Airpods in the rain with no issues and yours are now ruin due to Mositure from the gym. Either way, Apple never claimed these to have any water or sweat resistance. You obviously took the risk likely knowing this. It's something to improve on in the future.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

Interesting fact.... some people sweat lots with a low concentrate of salt, some people hardly sweat at all, but when they do it has a very high concentrate of salt. And all the other permutations in between of both.

You might just have a faulty pair or it could be your sweat has got in and damaged them?

EverythingApplePro has made a video about the durabilities of these. In his tests, they held up really well to both water and drop tests.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
EverythingApplePro has made a video about the durabilities of these. In his tests, they held up really well to both water and drop tests.

Rain isn't sweat though. Big difference when it comes to corrosive properties, especially over repeated use without proper cleaning.

You only have to look at the number of places where moisture could get in to the AirPods compared to something like the PowerBeats3 which are designed for workouts to see what could be going on.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Could be a faulty pair but something just doesn't feel right anymore. I'll try and get them changed but won't be using in the gym again.

dgreening

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I am thinking something is wrong with your pair. I have worn them in the gym at least 6 times a week and doing a lot of cardio and sweating. I have had no issues at all. I love the fact they don't have wires. This was my first worry about getting these though but after watching the youtube videos and what they put them through I went for it and I don't regret it at all. By the way, I have had them since 12/19.

Chrome262

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013

Also acid content. Men's sweat will be more Acidic while women's sweet tends to be more Alkalide

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Going back.

I'm certain that lots of people will want to wear AirPods while sunbathing or during other outdoor activities where sweat runs down a face.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Also acid content. Men's sweat will be more Acidic while women's sweet tends to be more Alkalide

Good point

If you look at a pair of headphones made for exercising, or even some of the cheap wired in-ear ones you can buy which are bombproof and last for years, they're sealed up good-and-proper and typically sit inside the ear, with some sort of foam or plastic cushioning to help them stay in (and help with reducing background noise). So there's not actually that many places sweat or rain can get in.

Check the AirPods out. Sitting here looking at this one, there's what, five openings for moisture to get in? All it takes is a faulty seal inside somewhere (I didn't check the ifixit teardown out so don't know how well sealed the internal components are) and you could have a problem.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
That is not my issue, the airpods do not go loud enough with lots of music I listen to for gym use.

Their music is playing, mine gets drowned out. Even the machines drown it out.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
There is a clear reason why other companies stress that their sport headphones are sweatproof.

Not saying you can't use your AirPods at the gym, but I do think it's risky.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Rain isn't sweat though. Big difference when it comes to corrosive properties, especially over repeated use without proper cleaning.

I don't dispute this at all. I just think it's peculiar considering they could withstand a washing machine with bleach and whatnot, as well as a bunch more, and not handle sweat. I'm not saying it's scientifically impossible though

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I don't dispute this at all. I just think it's peculiar considering they could withstand a washing machine with bleach and whatnot, as well as a bunch more, and not handle sweat. I'm not saying it's scientifically impossible though
To be fair that test was bogus because all they did was check whether the things played music. Mine still play it's just the bass that's gone funny

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

This is all guesswork on my part, but I've put various pairs of headphones through washing machines before and they generally work ok after drying out. I guess though that washing machines will do some sort of rinse at the end so won't leave much behind.

I have also killed a couple of sets of wireless headphones through running and I suspect its a combination of poor seals or salt and other stuff getting in to the working over time and "gunking" things up (technical term).

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
To be fair that test was bogus because all they did was check whether the things played music. Mine still play it's just the bass that's gone funny

That's not true - he did do a subjective listening test, saying "They sound the same to me" or something like that.

This is all guesswork on my part, but I've put various pairs of headphones through washing machines before and they generally work ok after drying out. I guess though that washing machines will do some sort of rinse at the end so won't leave much behind.

Fair enough.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If the bass is gone I'd check the air vents on the Airpods. The less air that gets in the less bass, maybe yours have gotten clogged?

If you cover up the air vents you can hear the difference in bass.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If the bass is gone I'd check the air vents on the Airpods. The less air that gets in the less bass, maybe yours have gotten clogged?

If you cover up the air vents you can hear the difference in bass.
For some reason that made me think of Simpsons:
tumblr_m3ud0ugSOO1qf6i04.jpg

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Who cares what they sound like. I bet you looked pretty cool/sexy at the gym wearing them.

Reactions: mrex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.