DO NOT use Camino (Yet)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by odedia, Apr 7, 2006.

1. odedia macrumors 6502a

Okay, here's the deal:

I was banging my head against the table, wondering "how on earth can my brand new iMac core duo 20" be so damn slow?!?!".

So I open up activity monitor, and see that Camino was taking over 200MB(!!!) or RAM! now, all I had open was about 6-7 tabs from the same website. This is not acceptable. It's like he's opening a new process per tab. I am now writing these lines from Safari and everything is okay. Safari also has about 6-7 tabs open, but uses only about 30MB of RAM.

Camino has great potential, since I love firefox. But it's too early I guess...

Oded S.

2. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I've been using Camino for months now without any problems or memory leaks. I'm not sure what the cause of all that memory usage is. :confused: Camino owns Firefox on OS X any day of the week! ;)

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

is Camino universal yet?

EDIT: Oh I see it is

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Ditto. Use it on 2 systems, neither are Intel admittedly but no problems on either.

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Works just fine for me but I'm on PowerPC like the others. Maybe it's something odd about your websites. Generally people say Safari is a memory hog - it's odd for someone to say that Camino is worse.

6. Heath macrumors regular

Tab memory usage

This could be the annoying bug where memory is not released when tabs are closed.
    This has supposedly been fixed in firefox see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=131456
    Hopefully this makes it into Camino soon. There is a workaround however.

1. Within Firefox, enter "about:config" in the address bar
    2. Scroll down to the entry "browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers" and double-click it. (Or filter for it)
    3. In "Enter integer value" field, type..
    * "0" to disable the cache
    * "1" through "8" to set the maximum cache as 1 through 8 previously-viewed pages
    * "-1" to return the cache to its default

Apparently this is a 'feature' too, not a bug. I'd say the other way around though.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've been using Camino since .7? or .8. stable and awesome browser with no problems for me. perhaps try to start over by deleting your prefs? its an odd problem.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I just started using Camino and I'm happy here.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....another FUD thread. I have no issues with Camino either on either of my computers. I wish people would stop making these bold statements that insinuate that because *they* may have a problem the program (or hardware) is naff and should be avoided....oh yeah!

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Ditto, I'm using Camino as I type this and it's been fine for me, sometimes better than Safari with certain things but very stable :)

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree with you Duff-Man. one problem means that the world is ending and that because one person has a problem with an application means that everyone will. so no one should use it. :rolleyes: :eek:

people have to learn how to stop generalizing.

12. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

The whole attraction of Camino leaves me cold. :eek:

Its gecko rendering engine is no better than Firefox (which I think is not that great on a slow internet connection - but thats another story:)

and the only real reason for having Firefox on the Mac is for the wealth of plugins:cool: which Camino does not support.

Basically you have a browser that is not as feature rich as Firefox with a Mac like coat on it.:rolleyes:

13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Camino is great, it doesnt leak any memory in my experience unless you go to some weird sites with loads of Java going on then it starts getting dog slow and fires up my G5 fans, but apart from that its a faultless, lightweight, and simplistically beautiful browser....

ShadoW

14. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

I agree with PlaceofDis. People should stop generalizing.
    If one person have issues with Camino there is no need to assume that everyone else will have those as well!

You're so wrong!
    Camino support the exact same Plug-ins as Firefox (...and Safari, Shiira, etc). It does not matter if its QuickTime, Flash, Java, Flip4Mac...

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm loving Camino :) It's so much better than Safari and so far I haven't had any issues.

To anyone reading this thread who hasn't yet tried Camino - don't let it put you off!

I'd really like to see something like this adopted as the Macs default browser right out the gate. Coming from a Windows world I found Safari to be a massive let-down.

16. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

I suspect they meant extensions, camio doesn't support as many because it doesn't have something or another for some reason.

I don't use camio much mostly safari and that sure uses up the ram, currently only have one window open (did have a number of windows and tabs up a little while ago) and it's using 100MB.

You got to take into account this how much RAM each system has and what else you have open. Programs will usually begin using up more RAM if it is free to improve performance. I assume thats a general memory management thing? If you got it you might as well use it! Course if it's using lots of RAM when you haven't got it then thats a problem...

17. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

In what sense and dont say speed or I will laugh:D , That mozilla gecko rendering engine is appauling if you are forced to use a dial up connection, no probs and you might thinks it draws the screen faster if you have high speed access.

I realise the people on this site cream their pants over open source software so having a debate on the matter is pointless.

You all think Mozilla stuff is great I dont end of:p

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I personally never had a problem with IE6 in the Windows world. Not everyone gets infected with viruses and spyware, believe it or not, and it was very fast :)

Safari's implementation of tabbed browsing is awful. In Camino you can just double click next to a tab and a new one appears. On my Mac mini Core Duo with 2GB of RAM over my Broadband connection Camino is also faster than Safari at rendering web pages, yes :)

19. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

No arguments from me there on the PC platform I use IE6.:cool:

and I wish the Trident rendering engine from IE7 was available on the Mac platform but we are getting off the guys original topic a bit;)

20. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guys, don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard Firefox user, but this type of memory leak was something I never seen before, so I warned y'all if you happened to have the same problem. Firefox is great, but Camino is very new so it might still have a few gliches. It's not a FUD, it's sharing a tip with you all. Lighten up. :)

Oded S.

21. howesey macrumors 6502a

No XUL, it uses cocoa instead. So firefox extentions will not work.

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think you got called for FUD since your title is 'DO NOT use Camino' - even with the yet in parenthesis, that's a pretty broad instructions.

I suspect if it had been more along the lines of 'Memory Leak in Camino?' that you'd have got much the same discussion but with less accusations.