Do OS X upgrade discs include iLife?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BulkHedd, Nov 14, 2006.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I am a new Mac user and I was just wondering about something. If iLife 07 is available when Leopard comes out will the Leopard upgrade discs include it? Or will I have to buy the Leopard upgrade AND the iLife upgrade?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They will have to be purchased separately...at least that's the assumption based on how things work right now. No reason to think they'll do it any differently for Leopard.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nope – iLife is a separate suite of applications and if you want the '07 version of either it or iWork you'll have to fork out the extra cash, I'm afraid.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You will have to buy both.

EDIT: D'Oh! Stupid tabs.

5. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

there is normally only one version of the OS disks (retail)

upgrade disks are sent to people who buy a Mac a couple of weeks before the OS is released or if their computer was built prior to the release and came with the previous version installed.

iLife is not included in the OS disks you need to purchase them separately

the OS is normally $120 (us dollars) and iLife retails for $79

6. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Ok, that's what I was afraid of. I just had noticed that there were only (2) OS X install discs that came with my MacBook so I thought that iLife might just usually be included on the OS discs.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The disks that come with your computer will have iLife on them for restore purposes.

8. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

What about other apps that come bundled with some Macs (like that sound recorder app and Omnigraffle and graphicconverter)?

Are they forever orphaned at the version that shipped? I've often wondered about this.

Do new iMacs/Macbooks still ship with Appleworks or is that now a dead suite?

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

When you buy a new Mac you get OSX, iLife and a few other apps. You get free upgrades for OSX and iLife within the version number that shipped with your Mac. The other apps are subject to the terms and conditions of their separate developers.

When you purchase the new version of OSX that's what your get. Just the new operating system. You won't get iLife, you won't get any third party apps.

If you want to upgrade to a new version of iLife you'll have to pay for that.

Remember, nobody is making you upgrade to the new OS/iLife. You have the choice to upgrade or not. If choose to upgrade then you have to fork over the cash. If you choose not to upgrade you don't have to spend a thing.

And yeah, AppleWorks is dead. You can still buy it and it works in Rosetta but it's pretty much dead now.

10. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I was just browsing around the Applications folder and I found "ComicLife" installed. I didn't know Apple was including this. Is it just a trial version? I couldn't find anything saying whether it was trial or not.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's the full version.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple will not provide you with updates to third party apps. In the past Omni have allowed upgrade pricing when a new version is released but it's up to you to buy it.