Do OSX updates cause slowness problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by annh, Apr 3, 2007.

1. annh macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new and I have an iMac 400 MHz PowerPC G3 with 384 MB SDRAM, running OSX.3. Lately we've been seeing a lot more of the "spinning beach ball" (what do you call it?). Could it be that installing the frequent software updates from Apple is causing this problem? Or could it be spyware? I've reinstalled OSX without it changing much. I don't know what else may have changed before this started. I realize if I have too many programs open at once it can gobble up the RAM, but I don't quite understand why the same old software on the same old computer is hanging up more often (especially Safari). And should we be concerned when we are offline but the modem and router lights start blinking as if some communication is happening that we did not originate? Thanks in advance.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think updates optimise some apps to run on certain chips eg Velocity Engine on G4/G5 chips, and while doing that, it may slow them down on other chips.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

Mine does this occasionally but I don't think it's anything sinister. If you're network is secured then it should be fine.