do pb prices drop when new models come out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by r6girl, Sep 7, 2003.

1. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

okay, this could be very wishful thinking on my part ;) but i thought i'd ask...

i'm planning on going back to macintosh after a very long hiatus (my first and last mac was an LC40 in college back in '92! and i still have it and it still runs, though it's mostly a large paperweight at my dad's house) and i'm eyeing a powerbook. i've read the rumors on the upgrades to come, but am just curious whether or not prices on the current models drop when the new ones are released. i know that many places are out of stock already (but a local mac store has 5 12" pbs with superdrives right now - how tempting!), but there are bound to be some left in stores whenever new ones are released, right?

any information would be greatly appreciated!

marianne

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Yes and no. The prices do drop, but you probably won't be able to buy from Apple, or right away. I found the 700mhz iBook on Amazon.com for $800 a couple months after Apple discontinued them (was the $1000 model). You have to look around a little to find the older ones.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

prices could even go up because right now they are really low for that line...they may pack more features and justify a raise even....i would hang onto the hope that prices stay the same....that looks like all you got to me.

4. r6girl thread starter Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

horrotaxi and kwyjibo:

thanks for the info. i was guessing that it wouldn't be as i'd hoped. oh well. a girl can dream, can't she? i'm getting antsy, anyway, so i might just get a 12" pb sooner rather than later to make sure i get exactly what i want.

marianne

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

current powerbook stock is almost zero.

You won't be able to find an old one... in fact, I doubt you could find one right now if you wanted to.

arn

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you will be able to get them at a cheaper price. but like arn said problem is finding them. especially in this powerbook drought right now. online and local resellers may have them , but they cant order any more and they go on a first come first serve basis.

iJon

7. beefstu01 macrumors member

All three PowerBook models are sold out now at the Apple store accoring to MacPrices.com. Yes, this means that there are no more 17" PowerBooks in stock. For the last month there were no 15"ers, but now it's across the board. You can find a 15" PB at Amazon, a 17" PB anywhere, and a 12" at Amazon and BestBuy.

8. actionslacks macrumors regular

Arn, do you think they will not keep exisiting G4 powerbooks as OS 9 booting machines like they did with the PowerMacs? Of course, those went up in pirce for a bit.

9. bluecrown macrumors newbie

Originally posted by beefstu01
    All three PowerBook models are sold out now at the Apple store accoring to MacPrices.com.

Wow, that's interesting. I was shopping last week & two stores here (No Cal) had them in stock.

10. bluecrown macrumors newbie

<<All three PowerBook models are sold out now at the Apple store accoring to MacPrices.com>>

Wow, that's interesting. I was shopping for one last week and two stores here (No Cal) had them available.

11. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Using eductational pricing and the available rebate, I recently (5 weeks agao) purchased a 12" PB (combo drive) and a 10GB Ipod together for a combined $1469 plus tax at my local Apple Store, which still had stock at my last check. That's a heck of a deal if you ask me, and I doubt that the upcoming replacement 12" books will be available at prices like that for several months to come (assuming they debut at similar prices as did the current round). If money is tight and the current 12" PB does what you need it to do, I say go for it. That was my reasoning. It's a gamble though. If you are able to find the current PBs after the new ones are introduced, you should be able to get a pretty sweet deal.

12. r6girl thread starter Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

okay, i just had to update this thread 'cause i'm a big fat geek! i did purchase a 12" pb (867 mhz, superdrive) and i love it! it was $100 off the original price, plus the educational discount of $200 = $1499. plus a 30 gb ipod for $399 (due to discontinuation discount and student discount). and with the back to school special, an additional $200 off the pb and the ipod by mail-in rebate! apple rocks!

still need to migrate my pc files, but don't think that will be an issue. i'm worrying most about my sony clie nx70v, as i haven't read encouraging things about the ability to sync with macs. hmmm, maybe i should get a new pda too... :D

if i spend any more time playing around with the powerbook or at the itunes store, or listening to my ipod, my husband is going to have me committed. seriously.

marianne