Do People Go Out To Wi-Fi Hostspots?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jun 10, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I just got a MacBook so I was wondering if people intentionally go out to like Starbucks or something? Starbucks place I can think of, they have Wifi there right? Anyways, yea I just wanted to see if anyone does, and if so, where do you go?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There are a number of places around me with free WiFi, and I frequent them, grabbing a bite and doing some work. Sometimes, co-workers and I will go to one to work. That's not to say I don't go to Starbucks once or more every day... I just don't stay there.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

A lot of bookstores do have WiFi.

But does does my house. :p

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Starbucks uses T-Mobile and they charge $6 a day or $40-50 a month depending on the plan. There are a couple of free hotspots around here that I go to occasionally, mostly in the winter when I want to get out of the house for a bit.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Use something like this to find free WiFi near you. Don't use Starbucks, Borders, etc. They all charge a fee. There are plenty of free places out there.

There is also good JiWire widget, if you don't want to use the website.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Very rarely.

I'm wireless in my house and love the freedom. But I usually bring books to the hotspots around me instead of my PB. I'm only half as pretentious as I sound because I only understand half of what I read.

I do have an increasing tendency to wish to be more connected, though. Like, I went to the soul-sucking mall today to buy candles and they seemed overpriced, and I really wanted to compare the prices to prices I had seen online. But the urge to make the comparison in that moment -- that it seemed indispensable to be able to make the comparison and the purchase in the instant -- god.

Screw this on-demand world I've been sucked into.

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Now, you'll have a bunch of Mac users at your house, drinking coffee and reading your books and magazines for free.

On my driving trips across the country, I've paid to use Barnes & Noble's wireless connection a couple of times and found an Apple store a few more times. Then again, Barnes & Noble has a Starbucks inside all of its stores, right?

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Not too many free places around here, otherwise I might. The only place I know of is this restaurant around here called Calistoga, it's sort of like a Panera Bread. They offer free wireless. Everyone else charges.

I wish someone would make a modem driver for my Blackberry 7250, that way I could use it as a modem and get online like that and not have to worry about finding hotspots.