Do the MBP Palmrests discolor with wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imidazole, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Imidazole macrumors regular

My old Powerbook 17" 1.67 G4 discolored after 2-3 months of use, on the palmrests.

Do the new MBP's discolor as well? I think the paint just simply rubbed off.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Excactly.

The paint will rub off. I haven't heard about the issue a lot though.

I would have linked you to the most recent thread about it but I can't since this forum's search function works like *****.

3. TaylorB macrumors regular

I haven't heard anything about MacBook Pro's discoloring. The only thing I've heard about are MacBook's. I would think that MacBook Pro's would take longer to start to discolor, but i'm semi-new. :)

4. stealthman1 macrumors regular

For all I could tell, it is aluminum, all metals oxidize, just a different rates.
    Oils + salts + electric currents = patina
    Think of it as customized.:rolleyes: :D

5. Zadillo macrumors 65816

If it's something you're concerned about, Marware makes a "protection pack" for the MBP that includes a nice wrist rest that sticks onto the MBP and should protect it.

6. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I've never had this problem with any of my Power/MacBook Pros...

I've had two PowerBook G4's in my day, neither had discoloration.

I've had my MacBook Pro since March and it has had no discoloration.

I guess if you are a particularly dirty person, then this might increase the discoloration of the metal. I guess I'm clean!

7. Imidazole thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I used it as my primary and only machine. Many many hours of programming/gaming/etc.

It just plain rubbed off where my palms would rest ;(

I hope it doesnt happen on MBPs if I get one. Still deciding :p

8. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Since there is absolutely no difference between the materials used to build the PowerBooks and MacBook Pros, I think it would be safe to assume that the same thing would happen after loooooong periods of use.

9. n8236 macrumors 65816

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

Do you know if the 17 Powerbook handrest cover fits the 17" MBP?

11. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I don't think so. I think the trackpad on the MBP is wider now than that PB.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yup. It's a different protection pack.

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

So, does Marware's protection pack work? It says its wrist area protection cover has the re-stickable adhesive which does not leave any residue after the cover is removed.
    If you have this product on your MBP, please comment on what type of adhesive it uses. Is it like PDF screen protectors?

14. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I've just pulled up the Marware protector to check, and it's true. No residue, no sticky gross stuff to deal with. The protector itself is kind of... umm.. foamy? And although I love the fact that it protects from my MBP's wrist area from ever pitting, it's kind of thick and sometimes my lid won't close all the way.

15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

That is not good. Their web site says it does not interfere with lid closing. It seems their claim is less than honest.
    I am cancelling this order as I placed it earlier today. Still Sunday today. Hope they are at least accommodating the cancellation.

16. L3X macrumors 6502a

MBP Discoloration

I got my MBP in Aug. 07. I started noticing some discoloration on the palm rests a few months after that.

I didn't bother getting any protection because I had not seen cases of this on the forums. Now, I wish i would have.

I took my MBP into the Apple store the other day and the genius said it was due to the acid/sweat/salt from my skin. However, I would clean the surface every week or so with wipes and stuff. I do use it everyday for at least 8 hours a day.

I never really planned to resell my MBP but now I prob never can. Thankfully the spots are pretty small but they are annoying. I'll post some pics when i get a chance.

17. DachWuff macrumors newbie

Yes mine do, i have a scrape spot where my watch clasp resides. and the areas where my palms rest are discolored. But i have kind of acidic skin too, any fake jewelry on me dissolves in about a day. A friend of mine had a similar problem, so he got one of those clear protectors to stick over the base, and they are almost black now because they seem to absorb the dirt.

18. Skystar macrumors 6502

I bought a powerbook g4 that had pretty bad wrist marks (pitting) on the palm rest. I covered it up with the marware protection pack and it actually made it look really nice, and it was comfortable to type on. Now that I have a MBP, I plan on getting either another marware pack, or the invisible shield / bestskinever. Until then, I try to type with my wrists "lightly" resting on the palm rests.

19. theblueone macrumors member

I've had my MBP for a year almost, and I still haven't seen any appreciable (permanent) discoloration. Every month or so, it starts to look like it might have been discolored, but it always looks new after a gentle wipe-down.

20. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

21. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Since I use my MBP alot I bought a palm rest pad, works well does not interfere with the latch or closing in any way.

22. mikey.f macrumors regular

Well, I guess you're lucky. I've had the Marware protection thing on my laptop for about a year... While in the first weeks after putting it on, it indeed was easy to remove it without sticky stuff, so I assumed I bought the good stuff, and didn't think about it anymore. A few months later, I tried again to see if it's still easy to remove, but I was surprised by the classical sticky gooey stuff. I didn't bother removing the protection thingy off, since it would leave a coating of the glue, and possibly damage the notebook itself.

How long have you had yours?

23. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

you might want to check out moshi palmguard. best stuff i've seen comparing them to a lot of other palm area protectors.

24. Binford macrumors member

mine did slightly with wear, but i tink if you clean it regularly (just wipe it) it'll be fine.