do the new apple store employees get drug tested?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kissNrockme, Nov 12, 2006.

1. kissNrockme macrumors newbie

do the new apple store employees get drug tested? and if so what do they get tested for and how long into the interview process? any experienced apple store employees please let me know.

2. calculus Guest

calculus

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

4. kissNrockme thread starter macrumors newbie

its tomorrow... i keep hearing mixed things if they do or not.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I hope you fail the drug test.

I can't stand people who try and get around things like this.

6. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I disagree strongly. I don't do drugs myself, and I do agree with drug testing for areas where it matters...like airline pilots and such.

But I think drug testing is an unacceptable invasion of privacy, accepted only because it's become so common. I personally refuse to take drug tests, have never taken one, and would refuse a job offer that was conditional upon passing a drug test.

Don't tell me that a retail store really needs to test their employees. If a person was stoned enough that they couldn't do their job, then the store can fire them or not hire them to begin with. They shouldn't have to test for drugs...if someone wants to smoke pot or whatever in their free time, it shouldn't matter to the employer unless that activity is interfering with the employee's performance.:rolleyes:

7. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

8. kissNrockme thread starter macrumors newbie

for your information i don't do this stuff... i was at a party and people were smoking pot there and im afraid that it will show up. ask questions first before you make assumptions.

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Jeeez, come on. Its not such a big deal. I mean if he was an addicted crack user i wouldn't feel much sympathy for him, but then again an addicted crack user wouldn't be looking for a job at apple. He probably just smoke a joint or two, and thats its. Steve did the same in his college years, and maybe we have to thank the weed for the great operating system we have today:p

But back to topic, i have no idea. But would be surprised if they did.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wow I've never heard of a job that requires you to have a drug test here in the UK at least except for the obvious (Police, Army etc).

That's a complete invasion of your privacy. It is disgraceful that a company should be able to do that to someone.

11. NJuul macrumors 6502

I have to say it was a pretty obvious assumption to make, however, if you didn't smoke it yourself, you'll be fine.

12. kissNrockme thread starter macrumors newbie

Back when apple started they all did pot... and steve did acid.

But still though.... i agree with the guy above... i mean if it was affecting my job at all then i could see it... but i mean whatever someone chooses to do in their spare time is their personal info.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I <3 ignorance.

My dad hired a just-graduated guy some years ago. Several weeks in the guy was caught taking drugs (Ecstasy I believe). My dad quietly sat him down and said the usual "go home, sleep it off, don't you ****ing do it again". It's company policy to fire anyone caught taking drugs... taking drugs in a newspaper printing station is a retarded thing to do, these machines are so dangerous that anything but a steady mind and woops! You've lost an arm.
    Anyways. week later the guy was caught doing it again. My dad just sacked him there and then and has his name down as a dangerous person to work with in printing. ho hum! a drugs test would have prevented all this.

All for drugs tests. Keep the addicts away from jobs that require any sort of mental ability.

14. kissNrockme thread starter macrumors newbie

well not necessarily.... some people just do it as a social thing... or some don't so they don't have to feel depressed. I'm just saying... if the kid looks like a **** up from the beginning they shouldn't hire them. I'm a pretty decent kid... i'm 20 years old, have my own company (2 to be exact), and i go to a private university. plus i mean come on.... apple can't be hypocrites when they use to be druggy's back then.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Maybe that's how he came up with the iTunes visualizer :)

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, we all have the right to keep our illegal activities private. :rolleyes:

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, but I don't think 'If its good for the goose, its good for the gander' really applies in this instance. Times change. Yeah, Steve might have done drugs in his college days... Maybe he did... So? He wasn't the head of a multi-billion dollar company then, now he is, do you think he does now? I doubt it.

It doesnt matter what he did then, or even what he does now. If your not allowed to take drugs and work at an Apple store either stop taking drugs (Or stop being around those who do) or don't work at the Apple Store... I'd say the choice was easy, myself.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, but if the drugs test shows up negative, you don't get the job.

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Your joking right? I'm not talking about taking drugs while actually working. If an employee did that they deserve to be sacked immediately.

What I am talking about is taking drugs in your own time and in such a way as that it does not affect your work life and then get drug tested and do not get the job. That is what I have a problem with. Lets not beat around the bush the drug culture is pretty wide spread. In the UK at least Cociane is used by a large minority of the middle class. Cannabis is in widespread use amongst teenagers and adults, and if you go to a club and don't take Ecstacy you are the one in a minority (thats clubs that play decent music).

I don't see why an employer has the right to make you take a drug test in order to get the job, just like I disagree with companies that require you to have a medical (unless it is a very physical job).

20. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

If he was takin Ecstasy on the work-floor, than i am honestly surprised that your dad didnt fire him on the spot, not only is it dangerous, but it is also disrespecting his employer. Its the same that a school shouldn't test someone for drugs before they enter the school, but if they are caught using, they should get kicked out as soon as possible.
    Arent drug test quite expensive, wold apple, or any company bother to waste the cash for something that is not really needed, I mean, an apple employee that is high, is not exactly gonna harm anyone or themselves.

21. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I agree with that entirely. Obviously, there are some activities/jobs where taking drugs is totally unacceptable. But when it comes to something like a retail store... It just doesn't really make sense. Obviously, I agree with Cromulent that taking drugs on the job is something totally different.

It's nearly on the level of requiring employees to dress a certain way, even when they're off the job. And what about alcohol? If someone drinks all night and then comes to work in the morning, I'd say chances are that they're going to be more impaired than if they smoked a joint on the weekend, and yet they're not going to be fired unless they're really ineffective.

The whole drug test mentality doesn't make any sense, and it's really more about control than anything else. No surprise that the American government is the main force behind it.

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

They have these things called anti-depressant pills. You can get them from your doctor and they are legal. Taking drugs because you're depressed is a lame excuse.

I don't get the "social" thing either. Plenty of people (myself included) have fun without taking drugs.

Whatever floats your boat though.

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

False.

EDIT: I really am stunned that people actually believe this.

24. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

He might accidentally sell a 2gig Nano rather than a 4gig Nano :D

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If I went into an Apple store and was getting help from a high employee, I would walk out of the store immediately. I'd just make my purchase online or at a different Apple store; but if someone who was making their first Apple purchase encountered that, they'd probably not buy whatever it is they were planning on. I'm sure most customers would feel comfortable dealing with a sober employee when they are making a large purchase such as a computer.