Do the old studio displays work on powermac g5s?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coleg, Nov 9, 2004.

1. coleg macrumors regular

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The stock video cards in G5s still have an ADC connector. The CTO cards, however, are all DVI.

3. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what that means. I don't know much about Apple's and their display connections.

Does that mean I can or cannot hook the old display to the new Powermacs?

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

All the video cards available for the Power Mac G5 have ADC and DVI connectors, except for the nVIDIA 6800 series which are DVI only. So you can use any of the cards except the 6800s with the older displays.

5. umgolfer macrumors regular

Yes they will. I just bought a new Dual 2 and I have it hooked up to my old Apple CRT (it comes with the adapter to do so in the box). For now it is a good solution for me. When I get more $ or the Apple displays get cheaper then I will upgrade.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That is an analog ADC monitor, and it will only work on an ADC port on the video card -- no adapters.

So only one of these will work on a machine, the second monitor needs to be something else.

It has a Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube, so a good alternative is a NEC-Mitsubishi monitor with a Diamondtron tube and use standard VGA -- plus you can find them in larger sizes than that screen, and with more advanced electronics.

---

So yes, you can hook it to any PowerMac with an ADC video card (which have only 1 ADC port.)

Currently the only new video card with NO ADC port is the 6800.

So you can use it on any PowerMac G5 with an Apple supplied ADC video card, provided it doesn't use the 6800 card.

7. coleg thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

Once I get the money, I will probably buy one of these on eBay and use it with a PowerMac. I won't go to the 6800 video cards. Too expensive and not needed right now.