Do the oldest posters get the most flamed?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 4, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

When I first was on macrumors.com, i played it safe and didn't divulge too much about myself

but now that i have been here over two years i have mentioned

1) that i am a pc tech
    2) that i am a democrat
    3) that i am a christian
    4) that i don't think woz or sj walk on water

i could have played it safe, but other members like bttm, mcrain, ovi, spg, and others have also stuck their necks out and i commend them for this

btw...i think neil diamond is better than the beatles and elvis combined!!!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've never been flamed, taunted once in a while, but not flamed.

D :D

3. vniow macrumors G4

Well I'm not really an older member, but I haven't seen any real elders get flamed for as long as I've been here.

I haven't flamed or been flamed either, but I've been one to taunt.[​IMG]

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Do the oldest posters get the most flamed?

Of all the things you've said, I have to say one thing. Neil Diamond? Good lord man, what's your major malfunction? Ha ha ha...

[silly sarcasm] I've never stuck my neck out. I'm just always right. Sometimes it gets a little warm in here dealing with people who don't understand that, but that's ok, they'll come around eventually. [/silly sarcasm] Actually, I just enjoy a good intellectual debate, especially when your debating with someone who is willing to explore and critique their own views. I know I'm often wrong, but that's ok.

I've been here for coming up on a year, and I've mentioned that...
    1) that i am a 30 yr old attorney
    2) that i am a democrat (for the most part - but I have some very independent views on some things like taxes)
    3) that i have my own religion (militant hindu christian) (accept others viewpoints and religious, but I'm intolerant of people who are intolerant; my core beliefs stem from my christian upbringing)
    4) that i don't think about woz or sj much at all, and when I do, they certainly don't walk on water

Ha, that was fun.

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Do the oldest posters get the most flamed?

5) Don't own a Mac (yet)
    6) Don't think there are enough taxes

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey umm did someone take my tar idea? uhh mcrain??

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

One thing i've noticed about OVI and BTTM (as much as i luv BTTM's mac policy) is that they get flamed due to their militant and, some might say, blind following of the American Empire, ca. 2002.

Just my .02

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

He's gone minimalistic until he gets his new TiPB - then he's going to get a new one.

You didn't have the black tar for all that long, as I remember, so most people might not even know.

And I'm thinking the political and religious threads get the most flaming in general, because the points of view are so different and there is no black or white, its all gray.

Anyone remember Travis?

D

10. vniow macrumors G4

Ah yes, the infamous travis thread. [​IMG]

11. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im sure most people dont. it makes me feel all warm inside to know my idea wasnt in vein.

er

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

uhh so what constatutes someone as having a "blind following of the American Empire"???

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

well, let's just say that on some of the political threads.... there's not even a questioning or debating why we do what we do.

it just "america is right. always"

Specifically, i'm remembering the "homeland invansion of privacy act" thread.

It didn't even sound like a human was typing his responses.. but rather a preprogrammed drone. But he's not here to defend himself, and i don't wanna waste time arguing with people who take stuff at face value.

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

While I often disagree with BTTM, like it or not, he has his viewpoint, can competently explain it and defend it, and he listens well and debates well. So long as the debate is respectful and intellectual, he responds in kind. I've seen him lose his cool once or twice when responding to posts that border on flaming, however, we've gone after each other's opinions pretty hard, and he's always been very cordial and a good adversary.

Oh, yes, I don't have a mac yet, but that's going to be remedied in a couple of days! Yeah!

No, it's not that I think there aren't enough taxes, but I think that the system could be set up to achieve a similarly flat taxation system, but be more fair (less special interest loopholes and breaks).

Sorry, I didn't realize there had been another all black tar. I went without a tar for a while, but couldn't find my posts when scrolling through threads. (Although, I keep finding myself stopping at duke's posts now until it moves)

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

no problem. i guess we think alike or something. cool.

so yeah... im for a flat taxes rate. 20 percent from everyones income.... nothing more .... maybe less!

17. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I agree with you on BTTM, I find that moxiemike does have a point. The political threads get very heated and often times people end up towing lines without any good justification for their position. It can be frustrating.

And interestingly enough, its always those people who have the strongest opinions that get flamed the most.

Taft

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's why I avoid the political threads almost entirely, its like fighting a losing battle if you go in there and try and make a point. And strong opinions do get you into trouble, but the most dangerous are the ignorant opinions. Which most of the older posters don't have a problem with.

D

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Do the oldest posters get the most flamed?

i just tossed that one out for flamebait ;)

while i think neil diamond is a good artist, he is not my taste in music

actually, neither is elvis

but the beatles are up there on my list with the stones and neil young+crazy horse

20. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Though some people have fun with it, religion and politics don't make good social conversation. I find it unacceptable to bring your political ideals or religious ideas into a social situation. However a forum is different because you choose to engage and no one is forcing it upon you. Some people are so passionate about both that it can be rather scary.

For me, I consider myself an independent. I like some democratic ideas and some republican ideas, but I'm no where near hardcore in either direction. I think the democrats have it right with social issues and republicans have it right with business. Both sides in my opinion take it too far.

Religion – causes war.... I'm born and raised Catholic, but I'm nonpracticing. My girlfriend is the same way. My father is a Night Of Malta and her mother works for the church, so they're hardcore. We both believe in the big bang theory and only take some of the moral values from religion. However, I respect people that do believe regardless of faith. Doesn't mean I like them, I just respect their belief.

I'm not a longtime member of MacRumors and I've been flamed. I try never to flame, but can't say I'm innocent. People tend to take me the wrong way because I'm seriously sarcastic and like to have fun. I find it funny when people get too serious in a forum, but I can't say that I haven't read a post that ticks me off.

The member that irks me the most is ddtlm. Probably because he's smart and comes up with good responses and is more technical than I. However, I think he really like PC's. I'm curious as to what his name means? The member I like the most? Can't really say, but I've had some great conversations and some good laughs.

I can also say I've wasted way too much time on the forums. But it's kinda addicting. Dammit!

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

don't be afraid to say it.

i'm most people's favorite. hence the reason my bid for election in 2k16 will go over so well. that and the pants pissing.

;)

22. job macrumors 68040

job

The thread that I'm reminded of was the IBM and Nazism thread where Alphatech expressed some of his personal beliefs and was flamed/critiqued for it.

I miss the banter Alpha brought to the forums...

It's just not as fun at the tech pub forums.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There's an ancient proverb:
    "Flaming is as flaming does"

You mess with the bull, you get the horns...you know what I mean?

If the sausage is cooked, the mustard's on its way.

;)

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

LOL, I hadn't ever seen that thread. Kinda funny. I want to say
    right now: If anyone has enough money to buy a kid who can't
    afford a good mac a mac, then please PM me. Gotta voice that out.

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OMG, I forgot about Travis ;)

Yep, I am very opinionated, but I do not feel that everything that America does is right or just. Just some of them. ;)

Thanks for the compliments from those that put them out there.