Do the "rev B" MacBook Pros get hot, whine?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kingsly, May 24, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Do people with the "rev B" (speedbumped) MBP's get the joys of whine and the ability to heat a small house?

I am fighting with Apple for a new one, but it would be kind of pointless unless they fixed the problem and it would save me many hours on the phone to just get mine repaired instead of replaced.
  2. Xephian macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    I doubt any of the issues with the original ones were fixed.

The new clock bumped MBPs aren't really rev B's anyway.
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

darn. I was hoping they would be, based on a friends new one and thier friends 17"
  4. conditionals macrumors regular

May 5, 2005
    It wasn't really even a speed bump, let alone a revolution... all those processor speeds were already avaliable in the macbook pros.
  5. remowilliams macrumors member

May 17, 2006
    My MBP17 doesn't whine and does not seem to suffer from excessive heat.
  6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

...I am assuming the heat is because there is more space in a 17"

But what about the whine? How did they fix that?
  7. jaydub macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    I got my MPB 2.16 yesterday and while it does get warm, it doesn't have any whine or other weird stuff. It ran hottest before I had applied the SMC update (67°C) while plugged in, but on battery power it has run ~37°C. I'm not concerned, to be honest.
  8. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Kingsly, my 17" MBP (that I switched to from the 15" due to the issues I had) runs just as warm as the 15". I don't think they will ever fix the heat issue. Sadly, the slimmer you go in thickness, the hotter the laptop gets. At 1" thin, they had to make some sacrificies with this notebook.

Mine is the same way. When plugged in, it gets very hot. On battery power, ti is hot but bearable. I'm at about 38-39 celsius max on battery power.
  9. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Im at 50º and its idling (2% CPU usage)
    Today is one of the good days, as it normally idles @ 60-65º

Under a load it goes all the way up to 82 (sometimes 85-6º) before the fans come on.

Under some usage (safari, mail, iCal) it hovers around the 65-70º mark.

I would LOVE to have a MBP like jaydub's , maxing out at my current MBP's IDLE temp!