do these xbench results seem low?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fowler., Jul 3, 2006.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

My computer (specs are in my sig) has been feeling pretty slow. I ran xbench today and here are my results:

[​IMG]

I haven't seen too many other results for a 2.16 macbook, but an arstechnica article that I did see is starting to worry me since their results were a lot higher than mine...

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Run!

It's a virus.

Wait..does your computer FEEL slow? Is anything else "wrong" with it? is XBench even able to benchmark Intel Macs?

4. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

yeah, it does feel slow, which is why I downloaded it in the first place. Like, it feels much slower than it should be.

scrolling webpages lags pretty bad. parallels is pretty rough... it just feels like crap and I'm not sure why.

I've done everything I know how to try and speed things up, onyx, repair permissions..

I don't know what else I can do.

5. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

but you would think there'd be at least, a little bit of consistency..

my numbers all seem like, twice as slow as other mbp's.

:(

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of would think that would be the case, but since the program measures things through OS X -- since there is no direct link to HW -- that ain't the case.

It measures a single response of the OS, at the time, anything that affects the OS can alter the numbers.

Problem with a modern OS, is you can no longer take the OS out of the equation -- like you could under OS 9, since applications had direct HW access.

---

If you run a Norton Antivirus Product or some of the All-In-One printer drivers, one touch scanners, etc. -- your OS performance will be pathetic. Same goes for some background applications.

7. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

cinebench makes me feel a bit better...

Code:
    Rendering (Single   CPU): 331 CB-CPU 
    Rendering (Multiple CPU): 626 CB-CPU 

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.89

Shading (CINEMA 4D)                : 381 CB-GFX 
    Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1483 CB-GFX 
    Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 2846 CB-GFX 

OpenGL Speedup: 7.47

8. hStack macrumors member

Could the CPU be throttled back to save energy. Actually I would like to find out how to explicitly forced my MacBook to run at 2 GHz, while doing benchmarking. Coreduotemp always tells me, my MB runs at 1.5GHz.

9. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I had them both running at the same time and my processors were pinged at 2.17 (sic).

I've done a lot of stuff in between now and the time I first posted and nothing has worked at all. I'm going to reinstall my system in the next couple days as well as removing the 3rd party ram to see if that makes a difference.. who knows, that could be it.

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I wouldn't worry too much about Xbench results. I've been messing about with benchmarks today, and on Xbench I've got everything from ~40 to ~70. Seems a load of rubbish to me...

11. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Yeah, Xbench results seem to be pretty far off. I think Cinebench gives a better picture. Are there any other better benchmarking programs out there for macs?