Do two version apps need for iOS5 and iOS6?

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by mikezang, Sep 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I just want to know if I have to build two versions app for both iOS5 and iOS6?

2. macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Nope, you have to check in code on what device you are, and make your code depend on that..

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, maybe I did't talk clear, I want to say even if I do not use iOS6 new features, i can compile for iOS6 Simulator, but when I try to compile for my iPad with iOS5, I got compile error, so that I ask this Q.

4. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What compile-time error?

5. macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

No. You want to set up your project with the "Base SDK" set to 6.0. That will enable you to build iOS 6.0 features into your app.

Then you want to set the "deployment target" to 5.0, or the lowest iOS version that you want to support.

Finally, for features that are only available in 6.0, you need to add runtime code that checks to see if the feature is available and only calls new OS frameworks and methods if they are available. This last part is the tricky part.

Note that if you're not doing anything iOS 6 specific, you can simply set your base SDK to 5.0. Then you'll build an app that will run on iOS 5 or higher, but will only support features that are available in iOS 5.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ld: file is universal (3 slices) but does not contain a(n) armv7s slice:

7. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sounds like the compile-time error I get from my AdMob library. I believe you'll need to wait for Google to update their libGoogleAdMobAds.a

8. macrumors 68000

No. Just set your Architectures entry for the Build Settings to armv7. When your libraries catch up you can set the value back to "Standard (armv7, armv7s)".

If you build you own libraries, then you should be able to recompile them now. It's those third party libraries that people are forced to work around.

The armv7s should run previous code just fine, otherwise a lot of apps would out right break on iOS 6. Not that there aren't other potential issues. :eek:

9. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just an update from Google on this AdMob SDK for iOS 6 matter:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/google-admob-ads-sdk/9Wub-gh9rf8

10. macrumors 68000

Reason077

Hmm. So apps that aren't built for armv7s get black-barred? Even if you have a Default-568h@2x LaunchImageFile?

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, I'm pretty sure if you have the Default-568h@2x image, you won't get letterboxed. I believe this is how the detection is being done. Seems a little wonky to base this on the presence of a specifically-named image (universal apps don't work like this), so hopefully Apple will come up with a better method in the future.

13. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

This was the result of my investigation as well