Do u think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eyelikeart, Mar 21, 2002.

?

How do u feel about the situation with Apple after last night?

1. Tokyo was a disaster and they are falling even further behind now!

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. We're just in tough times....they'll get by like always...

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Tokyo wasn't so bad....we got the iPod 2!

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well....due to Tokyo last night....Apple's stock is down -$1.11 this morning.....

and there's fingers pointing at Jobs....criticism in news articles....blah blah blah...

so what do u guys think about it all?

Fire away!!!!:p

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I think there are too many whiney schmucks in the world.

Apple has done exceptionally well this Tokyo. The history has been for considerably less significant additions.

Considering that most of the computer market is currently still engaging in trench warfare and trauma control it's quite nice to see Apple forging ahead with the digital hub.

None of the pricepoints are unreasonable for the cost of parts and custom-fabbing as much of the machine as Apple does.

We got many of the things we were asking for and Apple is expanding it's peripherals which means their product base is expanding in a more stable direction.

Have any of you stopped to look at what's being offered as a whole package here?

Apple has made the digital lifestyle closer to homogenous than it's ever been.

The cost of a machine MUST be weighed against the amount of time it will be useful and the relative amount of downtime and associated costs of ownership. Apple has the best dollar/day value of any consumer Computer vendor. It may not be the fastest horse but it can often pull the largest load most reliably.

Stop whining or buy a freakin Dell. If you don't like Apple's direction FIND OUT WHY!!! Kvetching about what offends YOUR sensibilities without researching what it takes to do what Apple is doing is not only juvenile but naive and self centred.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Eyes, I think that the naysayers have always said that Apple has about three years left, and then three years later, Apple has about two years left, and then two years later....

The fact is that the company is strong, real friggin strong. Look at the last 20 or so quarters and how many has Apple lost money in? They are the 5th largest PC maker in the world, and they don't even make PC's. Gateway has a 6% market share for God's sake!

People out there (not you eyes) constantly complain that their Mac isn't fast enough, or the prices are to high, or Windows has this, or we need that. The fact is that we buy Macs for a reason, because we are intellegent enough not to be affraid of the unfamilar. To step up to the plate and say to hell with Microsoft. Let the naysayers preach their crap. In the mean time we will all keep saving for the next great Mac.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm going to comment on something VERY trivial (shocking, I know!): I wouldn't call the 10 gig iPod the iPod2. Since it's still in the original iPod case, it only has a bigger storage capacity. That would be like calling an iBook an iBook2 just because it has a bigger hard drive... you know? Okay, I'm done! :D

5. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Re: I think there are too many whiney schmucks in the world.

umm who the HELL are you talking to? the only person whining i see is you.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I was responding to the attitude in the other 6 threads regarding MW Tokyo.

I was under the impression that this was an appropriate place to vent my frustration at the extreme pessimism and victim-mentality being expressed over exactly the attitude alluded too: "Apple shooting themselves in the foot".

That's a ludicrous attitude unless Apple does something insane like buy out Gateway or start brand tagging 3rd party products again.

If I scorched you on the way in ....... sorry, I thought the range was clear when the Sargeant says "Fire Away".:D

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Jeez gocyrus..............

Why do I feel like I just came back to my table in ye olde Macrumors Pub to find a "Discovering Krishna" pamphlet?

Are you, like Rush Limbaugh's illegitimate offspring via a random fem-redneck?

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea everyone go read how rediculous Cyrus is. Can't we use our collect force to rid ourselves of him. Lets all agree to never post on his threads, and they will be a lot of one hit wonders :D

9. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Do u think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot?

Apple stock allways goes down a little after events like that. it went down after the new iMac came out too... i woulndt worrie too much about it.

10. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Well, with component prices rising so quickly, Apple was boxed with two unpalatable alternatives: strip the iMac down or raise prices. I don't want to pay $100 more for a computer that was cheaper yesterday anymore than the next fellow. But what if Apple had added $100 when it made the original iMac announcement back in January? Would anyone be complaining that the top-of-the-line iMac was originally $1,900? You see, it's all a matter of perspective.

11. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he.....go for it mischief!!!

I intended this thread to be a free-for-all! ^:p^

ps: hope u don't mind my using your "bat-boy"

12. Bobd macrumors member

Macktheknife, I understand your point, but saying this leaves room to Apple business people for this other kind of thinking : "Hey, I guess that if it would have been OK to have the iMac 100$ more expensive, maybe next time we'll make it 200$ !!"

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

RE: the "bat-boy"

I originally intended the:^:eek: ^ as a two-handed wedgie......but the Candy-corn Turkey pulled the thread before you could see the return post.

14. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Personally I am happy with what happened, I would have prefered the iMac price not to rise but it isn't all that much of a rise.

Love the new 23" but I wish it was 24!

Ensign

15. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

just like a Mac-head.....never satisfied....he he he...

16. Bobd macrumors member

just like a Mac-head..... Ask him for more money and he'll say it's OK... he he he...