Do you actually read the magazines you subcribe to?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Nov 7, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I discovered that I haven't read half of the photography, Mac and men's health-related mags on my bookshelf...

Duh.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i get iCreate and Macworld and flick through em get to the icandy and then just grab the free CD off it and thats it

£6.00 is a rip off for a magazine BTW

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I get two magazines delivered...

1. WatchTime: Read it cover to cover, often more than one, and use it as a reference guide as well. Big watch collector...
    2. Washingtonian: Mag about DC, restaurant reviews, art exibets, etc. Keeps me up to date with what's going on in town. Read 70% of it.

:D

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Actually, I think I read better than 75% of the content of every magazine I subscribe to. Of course, the content is only about 10% of the magazine, as the rest is ads.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I only get two magazines. I read Sports Illustrated cover-to-cover every week. I get ESPN for free because I signed up for their insider access on their website. The magazine is a summary of everything posted on the website in the last month. I don't like rereading every article.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Only read some of the Rolling Stones... read all of MacWorld (free demo sub of 4 or 6 issues which has now ended :( ), read some of the girly mags I get, read almost all of Maxim and FHM.

7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

get espn the mag for the past 2 months. rarely read it.

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

most magazines i buy when i want to read them, however i was subscribed to the economist for a few years. it was ok while i was at school, i had time to read them then, but as soon as i got to uni they just went on my pile every week! i have enough things to read at the best of times. I suppose MR doesnt help also!

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I only subsribe to 1 or 2 magazines at a time, otherwise I don't have enogh time to read them. For what it's worth, my current subscriptions are Skiing and Outside.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

The average magazine is 45%-55% ads, either full-page or partial page. Yikes.

I only have a couple of subscriptions, and I read pretty much all of them; ones I didn't read got cancelled.

11. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I subscribed to Macuser for the last 2 years and read it fanatically to start with. The last couple of months I have found myself leaving it for a few days before reading it. Last month I found that I hadn't read one by the time the next one arrived tow weeks later and so I knew that was time to stop the subscription. I had started buying single issues of photography magazines and they were taking priority over my MacUser subscription.

I do find that I get very interested in something for a while and then my interest goes onto something new. I'm currently really getting into photography and photoshop having started an evening class in September.

I've just bought a new camera and I'm now looking to subscribe to a photography magazine which I will read cover to cover I'm sure (until I get bored...!)

12. iGav macrumors G3

13. mpw Guest

I’ve got a weekly subscription that cost £200 a year and the last 10issues or so are still in their plastic envelopes waiting to be read. Work pays for it and I lost the will to do my job let alone read about doing my job when I get home a long time ago.

The only subscription I pay for are generally offers to subscribe for 6months for £1, normally stuff like MacUser, Men’s Health etc. which I do actually read most of the time.

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah, i read professional photographer, photography monthly and british journal of photography - and actually read them

im thinking about getting a good photoshop magazine (for retouching and stuff) anyone know a good one?

15. mpw Guest

I once read a telephone number off a post-it note on a cork board in the background of a Razzle spread of a girl stripping across an office desk in the 'meat the wives' section. I called it and got thru to a model agency. Fraud:mad:

16. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

MEAT the wives....

I've got a horrid feeling thats not a spelling mistake :p

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I get National Geographic and I manage to read 60%-100% every month - it depends on what's in it. But that's the only one I get - I used to get (a long time ago) MacWorld and MacAddict, but ever since getting involved on line with MacRumors, you really don't need those mags.

I do occasionally buy a Photoshop or Design magazine at Borders if they have something specifically I like or need.

D

18. mpw Guest

I picked up my first copy of National Geographic a few months ago and was really taken with it's quality, so much so I now steal it regularly from the coffee shop/doctors waiting room etc.:D

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The photography is spectacular and the articles are quite interesting. I've been reading it since I can remember. And even growing up I remember going to my grandparents house and seeing all the NatGeos they had from the 40s or so and up. I always liked them and I'll probably keep getting it as long as I live.

D

20. Lau Guest

I thought you guys bought it for the articles? :confused: ;)

I do tend to read most magazines I buy though, but I do tend to operate a scanning system, by reading bits and pieces at first, then bigger articles, then once I'm really pushed for stuff to read (I read all the time, breakfast, coffee breaks, etc) I start reading the bits I may not have deemed worth it at the start.

At the moment, I subscribe to Grafik (my first subscription ever, very exciting :) ), but sometimes buy Eye, Graphic, dotdotdot, and a couple of others. Oh, and I read Creative Review in the library, it's a bit full of adverts to justify the cover price, but full of useful information.

21. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I read my mags the same exact way. I read everything, sometimes multiple times. I have maybe 2-300 books that have all been read by me, the good ones as many as 6 times each! When I was younger and desperate for something to read I'd even resort to the dictionary. One time, the bible!(that's a hard read, by the way)

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I've given up on Rolling Stone. Paste is much better, comes with a CD Sampler too. I think I'll subscribe.

I get all the usual MacWorld, PCWorld, PCMag, Business 2.0, Baseline, various computer industry trades, occasionally Maximum PC, MacAddict, CPUser. Also Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Sound on Sound, Recording, Paste plus occasional Computer Music, Future Music, Spin, then Discover, Scientific American, Macleans, National Geographic, This Old House opportunistically as 2nd hand from friends and relatives.

Generally will read them cover to cover, not to say I won't bail on an article 1/2 way through if it's not relevant. The best ones like Sound on Sound will get read thoroughly 2 - 3 times.

I get cheesed off with the political agendas of Wired, Readers Digest, and some National Geographic and Business 2.0 articles. At least if I read AdBusters, they are up front with their agenda.

Hmm... I guess I spend a fair bit of time reading. Good thing we don't have a TV.

23. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I'm subscribed to PCworld and am getting the 2 (or 4) issues of Macworld that you get when you get a new mac. I check out Popular Science from the Media Center at school. My mom gets National Geographic, so I read those when she's done with them. Is there anything else? Oh yeah. Sometimes I read the Magazines my sister gets, so if you need to know what kind of jeans go with that jacket or what actually zaps zits you can ask me.

To answer the question. Yes! I do read my subscriptions (and the ones that are not mine).

24. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Every two weeks I get ESPN and read that from cover to cover. I thought that since I subscribe to them that I got a free insider account but to do that they would renew my mag subsription which i just renewed

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Oh but for a 3 year subscription that costs $5.91?! I'm okay w/ Rolling Stones... plus, they have huge pictures that are oh so much fun to look at (and big Apple ads, too :p ).