Do You Actually Read the Manuals?

Discussion in 'Community' started by pimentoLoaf, Jul 9, 2005.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I'm sitting here working through my iBook's user's guide even though I've had the machine up, with many a program installed, for nearly two weeks.

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I still haven't read through the manual for my nearly 1-year old Powerbook..

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

lol no

I wish i did though.

Took me a few months to relieze i had to remove those plastic strips.....

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I never read instruction manuals.

Well, I did ONCE because I needed something to read during standardized testing, so I took my digicam manual.. hehe.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Only if i run into a problem do i read manuals.

Just like with video games ^_^

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I don't read the manuals that come with my computers I usually get a few books on the subject, for OS X I've mainly got books on the command line. I'm a Linux/BSD on x86 refugee and this is the part of the OS I like to get my hands dirty in.

7. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Reminds me now to read my digiCam's manual. :D

8. Poeben macrumors 6502

I love manuals, especially the rare well written ones. Granted I don't read manuals on stuff that is easy to use and I don't always read them straight away. Past three manuals read cover to cover: ProTools 6.7, Otari Elite+ series console, Korg Triton. I also consult manuals all the time, so if I ask a question you can usually count on me already having RTFM.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Instructions? What instructions??? It'll work honey, don't worry!

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Beat me too it!
    Instructions? We don't need no stink'n Instructions!
    (so these things come with instructions?) :p

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    hell no!

i actually got a coffee maker from Gevalia the other day and thought i should, just 'cause i've never used one (i drink tea usually).

so, i read it, and i pour the water in, only for it to come pouring out again...if i hadn't read the instructions i would've worked it out no problem :rolleyes:

they just confuse me.

i did read the manual for my canon 20d camera, only because i needed to know what the hell aperture was etc (complete n00b with an slr)

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Unless my device starts making funny noises, the manual stays in the box. I didn't even realise my PowerBook came with a manual until I wanted to find my Apple stickers...

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I never read manuals. I will spend hours trying to figure something out but I will not look in the manual. Yes, I am stubborn that way.

14. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Not reading the manuals just adds to the excitement of getting used to your new toy. :D

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well I read manuals.

It's what I get for being a bored student with way too much time on my hands...

16. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

exactly!

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

NO! Or at least very rarely. Usually I am too excited to use my new toy to go and sit down and read a boring manual on how to operate it.

18. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

In almost 19 yrs of Mac use, call me an idiot or hardheaded I have never used or read the manuals for software or hardware ever. If I get seriously stuck I will go online and get the answer in minutes. Even before the Internet I would go and buy a reference book before I would read the manual. IMO manuals are notoriously badly written.

19. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....who needs manuals when there is MacRumors Forums???? .....oh yeah!

20. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

For something that comes assembled no, not unless I have a problem. For something like a gas grill or something complicated you put together than obviously yes.

Some car manuals annoy me. Small print, many different sections. Luckly some cars such as Land Rovers usually tell you what the problem is on an LCD rather than in some cars just have a little light that turns on and you have to venture into a large manual with small diagrams and print. Like my moms car had a little orange engine symbol- who ever would of thought that ment an emissions problem. While in my Land Rover since they are so problem prone it will tell you what the problem is (i.e. Suspension failure- little EAS symbol turns on, and on the LCD it says Electronic Air Suspension Failure...Drive under 35mph [too bad it doesn't say prepare to shell out $4500 to fix the problem] You would probably notice when your air suspension beaks because the car is sagging and its a rough ride but its also nice when your car tells you if a fuse is blown and which one.

I've never used my PowerBook Manual and I've had my PB since Feb.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Usually, no, I want to play with my new toy and don't feel like reading :D

If its a product I have absolutley no idea how to use, then yeah, I'll give it a quick read, but I've never sat down and read a manual from front to back

23. Zachariah macrumors member

I used to never read manuals.

Now I always do.

I don't remember when that changed.

24. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

meh, it depends on what it is. i was assembling a pc today and was glued to the mobo manual, abit has great manuals...

but for things i'm reasonably experienced with, i dont usually read the manual :D i mean, sure, a mouse or something simple comes with a manual, but who needs it?

oh, afa software manuals, never. ive never read a software manual. ever.

25. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

nope, even though I work in *cough* customer service *cough*