Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Do you agree or disagree with the judge's ruling against Think Secret and other rumor sites. And please no commentary, there are plenty of threads already going for that. I just want a vote. Yay or Nay.

Candyfingered

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Candyfingered said:
Do you agree or disagree. And please no commentary, there are plenty of threads already going for that. I just want a vote. Yay or Nay.
I agree.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
What ThinkSecret ruling?

Wasn't this a PowerPage/AppleInsider ruling?

ThinkSecret's motion to dismiss hasn't been decided yet, but this doesn't look good for him.

However, since he filed an anti-SLAPP -- he could get the case tossed.

---

Which sucks for us, since a law originally designed to protect JoeAverage is taken by the professionals -- and can also be used against JoeAverage in some cases.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Sun Baked said:
What ThinkSecret ruling?

Wasn't this a PowerPage/AppleInsider ruling?

ThinkSecret's motion to dismiss hasn't been decided yet, but this doesn't look good for him.

However, since he filed an anti-SLAPP -- he could get the case tossed.

---

Which sucks for us, since a law originally designed to protect JoeAverage is taken by the professionals -- and can also be used against JoeAverage in some cases.

You're right, nothing on TS yet that I have read, but I think I agree with the logic on the other two blogs as long as it is as obvious as the judge says.

Jim

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sorry, but I'll keep this as simple as possible.

In the case of completely new products (such as Asteroid) I agree that publishing that kind of data qualifies as theft of trade secrets.

However, when rumor sites post things such as an upcoming 200mhz iMac speedbump, I don't think that qualifies as revealing any sort of significant trade secret.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Agreed too. I wonder how the moderators would see this thread, given that they dislike one line comment. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.