Do you allow other people to use your Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Legolamb, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2006
    North of where I'd like to be
    There are only three other people that I would allow to use my Mac for more than 5 minutes without me shadowing them. It seems stronger with my laptops than desktops, but only barely, and has nothing to do with expense or being afraid that they'd read my documents. I share clothes, books, DVD's, etc. so I'm not entirely selfish.
    In general, I find my relationship to my MacBookPro similar to the one I had with my old Rapidographic drawing pen. In the case of the pen, the nob actually conforms to your hand. In the Mac, I don't know. It's intimate in a very tangible, yet strange way.
    How many people do you allow on your computer?
  2. cyberddot macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest

The g5-iMac is used by me, my wife and our house-mate, but we're all adults and fortunately, the house-mate has his own PC laptop and doesn't do anything other than surf on our computers.Our eMac is also up for general usage when it's plugged in, which isn't often lately (we've currently got limited networking in our house, so wireless rigs get more use).

However, when the stork delivers the soon-to-be-purchased new Mac, I'll probably be hovering over my wife's shoulder, and the house-mate will only get to visit it from afar! :D

I know what you mean about your laptop. If I decide on a laptop purchase, I know from previous experience that I'll be loathe to let it out of my sight.

Preferable number on the latest Mac in the house? One.

<edit> Homonym related spelling errors before bed.
  3. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I've let friends use it, only for surfing though. And they don't go unsupervised for very long. I've never left anyone totally alone with her... I mean it. :p
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I'd let my boyfriend use any of the Macs I own(ed).
    Event lent my iBook to a casual friend for well over a month. :eek:

But I was a lot more 'precious' about my gorgeous little PB, which is now in my sister's possession.
  5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Miss Jaffa Cake uses my Macs on occasion, but I make sure she washes her hands first. ;)
  6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Only to family and close friends. Hell, I gave my Powerbook to my sister for four months.
  7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    For my desktops, whoever... I usually just oversee 'em all to make sure nothing gets ruffled.

With my laptop I'm more careful -mainly two others, who I feel fine lending the PowerBook to whenever.
  8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Normally, just Lori gets to touch my PB. And even then, I normally have her switch to her account - just in case.

Last week, for the first time, I let someone use her it for more than 15 min without me hovering.
  9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes, sparingly. But short of being sworn in, they must promise first, to not have any liquids nearby, and to wash their hands if they've just eaten anything. ;)
  10. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Same here. But I let my roommate use my PM G5 whenever he wants, no hovering. My iBook? I better like you a whole lot. I usually don't let anyone touch it. :)
  11. barr08 macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I let anyone use my iMac, I'm a tad more picky with my iBook, only because I got the logic board fixed, and the guy said to be careful with it. Only my friends, family and brothers can use it.
  12. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Nu uh. Mine. All mine. Get your dirty hands off!

Letting the staff use the iMac's around the office has been quite heart breaking.
  13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    My wife has her own account, so she gets to set it up her way...and there's one account labeled "Guest", which is used primarily by my college age daughter. Her printer is broken so she typically prints her files from my computer.
  14. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    I always make sure people wash their hands after I know they've eaten something.. seems like people always want to get on the computer right after they eat pizza ;)
  15. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2005
    The Soybean Captial of the World
    My brother and mom use my iBook when they visit, without me hovering.

I sometimes will let friends use it at school if they need to quickly check email or something, but I always keep a close eye on them.
  16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    quite often, they never understand how to click as it doesn't have click-on-trackpad on as I hate it.
  17. bembol macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2006
    I have no problems as long as they don't touch the LCD/Screen!
  18. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2006
    Yeah, I’m with you, miniConvert. It’s not just a matter of user accounts, making sure about the proper hygiene and care users display when using the machine. I don’t have these issues with any other “personal” technologies like my cell phone. My husband has this thing about his car, creating a personality for it, pampering it, not allowing our daughter to even consider it as an extra set of wheels. I don’t get it for a car; he doesn’t get it for my Mac. BTW, I had to share computers at uni (Mac and those others) and it was only sharing the Macs that bothered me. Fetish, anyone;) ?
  19. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    I usually ask them to take my MBP home so they can play with it as much as they can. I even gave it to 5 children to play with it without an adult being with them. All to convince them, a Mac is so much better than a PC, you'll love it in a day of use.

I guess I am more into convincing others of how good the Mac is instead of taking care of my MBP.
  20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    no one except me...

I cannot let anyone touch my Macs. So far, all of my Macs do not require any repair service to this day (which means I don't have to hand them over to someone). I cannot take my Mac with me for air travel because I don't want to let TSA touch my Macs or putting Macs in the dirty plastic box at the security screening (yikes!). I just don't like greasy hands touching my machines and keyboards. I always wash my hands after I had to use one of those "public" keyboards at my work.
  21. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    I'll let anyone use it...they're pretty good on computers, and anything I don't want them to see is well hidden (hidden disk image w/ password).

The only person I wouldn't let use it is my brother because he could find some things I wouldn't want him to, and he also loves to **** up my computer. He's really anal about computers- he's always looking at the system monitor and ending any nonessential task, dashboard gets turned off, etc. I told him he should use that text-based browser.
  22. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Just two people. And not for more than 15 min :p
  23. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    the only time i (my brother lets himself on sometimes:mad:) have let someone on was when they were begging me for a go at UT2K4. i won't let anyone touch it.
  24. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2005
    sure, I've even created an account for a friend interested in getting a Mac and let him have it for a few days.
  25. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2006