Do you believe Apple should release OS X for PCs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sirin, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Sirin macrumors member

Mar 17, 2006
    We've all seen osX86, a project that aims to hack OS X Tiger x86 to run on BIOS-based PCs, but do you think that Apple should officially release OS X for PCs? Many people aren't getting Macs (the OS) because they don't want to buy an entirely new computer (a Mac), or can't afford the price tag, which then, they either stick with Windows, or move to Linux.

I believe that the reason for Microsoft Windows' huge success and Linux's huge growth (and counting), is that they can work on all x86/x64 PCs (and there's a whole lot of them) from all major computer manufacturers (and custom PCs with the x86/x64 architecture), even Macs. Many people switch to Macs mainly because of Apple's super-stable/secure operating system. If Apple releases a PC version of Mac OS X, I believe that they will get a wider sales base. Do you believe Apple should release OS X for PCs? I'd like to hear your say. :)
  2. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    There was a thread about this recently.

I don't think they should btw, it probably wouldn't be a good business move.
  3. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    HELL NO! i want to stay in the small percentage of cool geeks (lol:D)
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Please don't rehash this tired topic yet again.

No, I don't believe it would be a good idea.
  5. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Apple are trying to drive hardware (computer) sales as much as possible. I can't see this happening anytime soon.
  6. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Hell NO!!!

It'd turn into the bag of unstable crap that Windows is.
  7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    Do I believe Apple should release OS X for PCs?

Do I believe we need another thread discussing it?

Am I a bum for replying to this one anyway?

8. Nym macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2006
    Porto, Portugal
    Agree... NO! If Apple would do that the whole "Mac OS X consistency and stability" would come down in a second because they would have no control about the hardware you're running their OS on and all the pseudo-hackers out there would gladly download an illegal OSX copy just to figure out how to punch holes in it... it's would be a bad move all the way IMO.

You want OSX, save up and buy a Mac (like I did).
    And the fact that Mac's are more expensive than PC's is a whole different thread, also discussed too many times, basically, you get what you pay for :)
  9. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle

MAC RULES ..... OK

Dave :)
  10. Nym macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2006
    Porto, Portugal
    LOL Irish Dave, I imagined all you wrote above being shouted by an Irish midget with a strong accent, fun moment :D
  11. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    You better believe it my friend.

Have a nice day.

Greetings from Ireland

Dave :)
  12. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2006
    they should remain on the opposite side of the fence. competition is good.
    btw MACs are not that expensive.
    well the Macbook isn't anyway, different story for the Pro. the Macbook was the cheapest laptop i could find with a T7200, webcam and Bluetooth built in.
    everything else with the same configuration but slightly higher hdd space was a couple hundred more.
    the rev2 macbooks are a steal, especially the 2.0Ghz C2D one.
  13. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    'Free' software is a 'quite normal' for many people within the Windows 'community', Windows 'popularity' is largely dependent on 'free' sofware that is why many people won't switch, they just won't pay, so why should Apple feed them?::mad:

The rule within the Mac community is (at least should be): don't steal. (Stealing would kill an already relative small community/platform) So when people want to run OSX many of them should accept a different mindset.:)
  14. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    No, but I do think it would help Apple get more business sales if they allowed a second manufacturer to make and sell OSX computers. HP is the company that immediately springs to mind.

Only one other company though, and still tying OSX to the EFI and related stuff. No off-the-shelf components and definitely no Dell.
  15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Yes, Apple should market last years OS for PCs. Not marketing your greatest product is silly. Apple is a great software maker and not marketing what you create so you can sell rebranded hardware is silly. You want the latest greatest you have to buy a new Mac. Selling a slightly older OS could be a windfall for Apple.
  16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    Big Fat No

I still can't believe that till this day people still don't get it. The reason OS X is that rock solid is that Apple controls the hardware that OS X runs on. It is the tight integration between the hardware and software that makes OS X appealing.
  17. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    um no if the os x was released for all PC it will instantly turned into crap. The main reason why osx is so good is because apple makes both the hardware and the software; it is much more intergrated than windows. Plus apple is hardware company.
  18. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    No. But they should definitely have a bit more variety in there hardware. Right now we have too few options and you have to buy smething which you didnt really need only coz you cant do without OSX.

I mean say, I have an old pc monitor which works absolutely fine and I want to use it as my Mac monitor. I have only one model(or make that too) which I can buy. ie Mac mini. A cute little box with an old processor without any option of a grafix card. I dont really need something that small as my computer. Even a big fat ugly box will do fine for me as it`ll be kept under my table and will have a lil bit more upgrading options for a lot less money.

I m sure there are a lot of people who`d think mini is a really good and efficient device as it fits into their requirements. But there are 10x more people who`d wish that they had more choice.

And then there is no Mac ultra portable notebook. No Mac Tablet. No small notebook with dedicated grafix. All the Apple products look great, I simply love their looks, but why is everyone forced to buy a black or white laptop. I hate white. It shows dirt on it within a day. I hate black. Too many finger prints showing on it. The thing looks great when it comes out of the box. But use it for a few days and it gets downright ugly. I dont care if I had a dell and it got dirt/finger prints etc on it. the thing was ugly and will always remain ugly. But if do care if my white Macbook gets dirty. So much so that I m even afraid to touch it without making sure my hands are clean.

The point is Apple should definitely provide more hardware options or else licence OSX to third party pc manufacturers:)eek: Nooooooooooooooooo....)
  19. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Feb 12, 2006
    Then we'd have all those crazy driver and problems that PC's have.

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    I really don't get arguments like this. There has to be at least 100 computer manufacturers, ranging from Dell and HP, to the local generic guy. If Apple's hardware offerings at Apple's price levels do not meet your needs, you have plenty of choices. Why not buy something else? Nobody is forcing you to buy an Apple computer.

Yes, of course it would be nice for there to be an awesome Apple tower at under $1k, but there is no sense complaining about it when there are so many towers from other brands that perfectly fall into that category.

Basically, you're saying your mad that a major company with hundreds of competitors doesn't offer you their exact product for a price you want.
  21. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    First they should continue as they are until other PC manufacturers are really really begging them to license OS X. Then they should allow those manufacturers to build clones of the latest but one specs. That way the mac hardware always stays on top, the other manufacturers build something that complies entirely to spec and everyone is happy. There are cheap PCs that run OS X and there are the more up to date Mac machines that the faithful keep buying. Simple.
  22. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2006
    No way. The Software-Hardware stability is one of the things I love about OS X. Keep it the way it is.
  23. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    Anything to support that argument? Because if there really was 10x the market over the mini, Apple would produce a mid-range tower. They are in the business to make money and will do what they think will make them the most money.

And I will make a similar baseless claim: The vast majority of people DO NOT upgrade their computers at all. Not even memory. When they think their PC is slow, they throw it away and get a new one.
  24. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005

Yes. I m forced to buy a Mac. I cant stand windows XP(may be vista might improve things a lil bit). I love OSX and wont use anything else coz it suits my requirements perfectly. It`s the best option out there(for me). But find a gamer and for him OSX is ****. Coz it doesnt suits his needs. He`d be much better with a virus prone, unstable(comparatively) OS which is way better than OSX when it comes to gaming.

So what I meant was Apple should atleast give a few more options which are pretty much industry standard. I`ve already said that I hate my MB coz it`s so stunningly beautiful. I have to wipe clean it every day to keep it from looking ugly or keep it under wraps forever. I`d buy a dell crap laptop without second thoughts if it had OSX(provided OSX works absolutely as good as it does in Macs). I no longer care what my computer looks from the outside, it`s whats inside what really matters.

So I do wish we had more options but definitely not at the cost of stability as that will defeat the purpose of choosing OSX over XP in the first place.

BTW I never said that I was mad at Apple for any reason at all. But these are the biggest drawbacks of Apple`s current system. They`ll be an even better company if they can take care of these things. But still, Apple currently is definitely a really good Hardware/software company, way ahead of most of it`s competetors.