Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just wondering.

I'm a physics major, and as someone who studies science, I really can't take this sort of thing seriously. I mean, the souls of the dead still wandering the Earth? No thanks.

However, I was talking with 3 friends about ghosts (after watching a horror movie), and I mentioned to them that two of my uncles say they have seen ghosts, and as far as I know, they aren't crazy. My mum says she has seen a ghost, and she's not crazy. My grandfather's maid has seen one in his apartment, and quickly quit the job. And here's the thing.......I think my parent's house has a ghost in it. But I don't believe in ghosts though, so I've always thought that some strange things have occurred in my parents house for reasons I can't think of. :eek:

So for myself, I don't believe in ghosts, but there's 1% of me that believes there really ARE ghosts, because I love my mum, have no reason to doubt her, and don't believe she is crazy or delusional at all (she's 48 years old right now). And again, things happen that I simply can't explain.

Anyone else believe in ghosts? :confused:

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't believe in ghosts. I don't believe in haunted houses or anything of that sort. There's an eeny weeny teeny tiny part of me that has a doubt, but I feel pretty confident in my disbelief of ghosts.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Who says that a ghost has to be the soul of a dead person?

I do believe in other beings existing in another dimension and we only see them as ghosts.

It is possible

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I don't believe in ghosts but I believe that you can feel the someone who is past on is spiritual there with you.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Nope. I've got the type of brain that needs solid evidence and a logical explanation to believe something. Evidence of ghost = 0 = no belief. That's not to say they don't exist, maybe we just haven't worked out ways of detecting such things yet.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I do believe something happens after death.

I do believe there are entities that we cannot see or perceive.

Not sure past there...

I'd be very interested to see what ~Shard~ has to say on the subject...*whistles for Shard* :)

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Same here...

but once, I was in the bathroom after a shower, and a bottle of shampoo came FLYING at my head, and I was the only person in there.
    Who.. or what?.. or who caused that bottle to fly?
    Giant ant?
    Huge cockroach?
    Ghost of the people who lived in the house before us?

8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I don't believe the departed hang around scaring people or anything. I guess you could say I believe in ghosts because I believe the in the human soul. Even if they could hang around and creep up behind us while we're looking in the mirror like they do in the movies, why would they want to?

If I could come back as a ghost I'd probably be like Casper the Friendly Ghost.

On the other hand, there were a couple of bullies that used to pick on me when I was a kid. Maybe I'd look them up and scare them just a little, like in the movie Beetlejuice. :p

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It couldnt've just fallen from a shelf or something?

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Absolutely unpossible. No possible way. Never.

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

It was way on the back of the shelf, near the wall.
    It was also 6 or 7 feet away and nearly grazed my head (so it was about 5 feet up.).
    I didn't shower in that bathroom for a week.

12. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

kt, your story reminds me of the time that I was walking out the door of the classroom and the clock on the wall literally jumped at me from the wall about 5ft. away. I went in the next classroom to see if anyone had run into the wall or slammed there locker hard and everyone looked at me like I was crazy!

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Haven't you ever seen time fly before? :p

14. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I have had my fair share of things happen -- expecially after my stepdad died.

The night my neighbor died, while in the hospital... we heard noises coming from his house next door, and called the cops. They checked it out, and there was no one inside, even though they heard noises too. Breaking plates, sounds of things being thrown against the wall, but nothing was out of the ordinary.

Lights have dimmed on one lamp, but not the other. The fireplace has flared up spontaneiously, the heater in a room kicked off because it hit the set 70 degrees... but about 2 minutes later the room was at 48 and everyone's hair on their neck was standing up.

A pastor of all people came over for dinner to be with us before he moved... and he said "did you hear that?" So we asked what he heard, and he could have sworn he heard voices coming from the kitchen, when no one was there.

More lights have turned on, I've gotten cold sweats sitting in the basement alone, lights have gone off, random soups have gone missing... my parents have gotten worried about staying home alone, since the water changes temp, but all the hardware looks kosher.

Anyone remember that "haunted boxers" link on Ebay???

15. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I've only heard second hand experiences.

Sometimes dirty hair takes on a life of its own.

16. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The wooden board that covers the hole/window to my attic opens by itself when my entire family goes on vacation. It weighs around 2 kg/5 lbs, and since it's just a board of wood, it has to be lifted slightly and slid to the side. Oh, and you need a ladder to reach it. My ladder is in the garage. For us to shut it, we needed to go into our garage, grab that ladder, drag that thing up the stairs, get it into that cramped room, open it up, climb it, and cover the hole with the board again. So when I say I don't believe in ghosts, I have that 1% doubt.

Again, I'm a physics major, and I'm like Max_altitude.......I need proof. I don't need concrete proof, but I do need there to be something that proves that ghosts are possible. If something indirectly proves it, or makes it plausible (although still unproven), that would still be enough for me to say "It's possible for ghosts to exist."

But unfortunately, that 1% belief in ghosts still exists. I mean, my attic door opening by itself? That deserves a WTF smiley for sure. :eek:

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hmm, sounds like we need to do some scientific experimentation on this Katie, tell ya what, give me about a month, I'll come over to Houston and you can recreate the whole situation exactly for me and I'll do some measurements....:D

I kid because I care folks.

I study Chemistry and don't really believe in ghosts but I have experience some seriously spooky feelings in random buildings - like I was being watched or someone reaaaaalllly didn't approve of me being there. I reckon it was all in my head but it was still pretty weird.

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I believe in ghosts
    have had too many experiences where something I could not measure/see still impacted the environment around me.
    Like me and the cat both tracking across the room something we could not see but really feel its presence...
    the knife stuck in the floor at my old place...times three.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I like science to explain things:) But we have to admit there is more and more to this universe we live in that arent yet known. Extra dimensions etc. Ghost hunters is a good show to watch were they try to debunk ghosts but they have caught a few things on tape that are interesting to say the least. I would think people are haunted rather then places. Seems there just isnt much good evidence of this yet. I do think the UFO phenemenon has much stronger evidence then do ghosts.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

We feel your pain. Give us a call. (There may be a new branch opening in the Houston area.)

Attached Files:

21. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Good one. Doubt's natural. Ghosts? I doubt it. Hehe.

22. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

You are a physics person... and physics tells us that we have no idea what 90% of the matter in the universe it. "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" are pretty much in control of orbital patterns. Now, whether or not this has anything to do with ghosts, I'm unsure. However, it means that there is a great deal of "stuff" out there that we cannot identify...

23. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I start believing in them for a day or two after i watch a scary movie ( for example Sixth Sense, Ring) :D

24. iGav macrumors G3

Do you believe in ghosts?

Yes, but only as non-conscious, non-intelligent, residual energies. ;)

I've seen some strange stuff in my time.

25. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I think what I am about to explain may just be me drifting into dream mode, but it's still odd. When I am laying in bed just about to drift off, I will hear audible noises/people talking. This pulls me back out of my half-asleep state and it stops. Now, is this my mind going into a dream, or something more?

Also, my external hard drive sometimes revs up at random times during the night. :confused: :D