Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by amazingdm, Jul 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

If so, what evidence brought you to the decision to believe in god?

2. macrumors G3

Huntn

Not enough evidence for "belief", but enough "wonders" to contemplate the possibilities.

3. macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't believe in a God, altough I can't affirm that he doesn't exist (no empirical evidence doesn't let you conclude anything).

4. macrumors regular

No... (Yes, I have read multiple religious books).

Enough said, not opening thread again, :p

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol 3 no's... can't say I was expecting that.

To answer my own question... I'm an atheist so no... but I hope there is one and an afterlife... I just can't know if there is or not.

6. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I believe the Earth is 4.5 Billion years old and life evolved over that time ... Gods are mythical stories believed by many people that want to think there is something after death

For me ... the lights go out with death

7. macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I don’t believe in god or an afterlife. An afterlife would be nice, but so would winning a billion dollars in the lottery, and I don’t believe either of those things are going to happen.

8. macrumors 6502

Yes

No evidence required.

9. macrumors 603

appleguy123

You must be new here. ;)

No, I don't. There are like 5 theists here, and there are less who show up every week.

10. macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Why is no evidence required? Not looking for a huge debate, just curious.

11. macrumors 68030

.Andy

It protects against cognitive dissonance.

12. macrumors 603

firestarter

Which God? There are so many different ones, it's difficult to choose!

13. macrumors 65816

Are we really going to do this thread again??? Honestly you can find hundreds and hundreds of posts on this topic on macrumors.

Do we need another thread?!?

14. macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This. I had a "crisis" (just like everyone else, I believe) when I acknowledged my own death and realized the absurdity between the uselessness of life and the preciousness we give it.

It doesn't happen when you believe in God.

15. macrumors G4

*LTD*

If he really is God, then he doesn't need anyone believing in him.

16. macrumors 6502a

I'm open to the possibility of an omnipotent and omnipresent creator of the universe that is beyond the comprehension of us mortals, but not the god peddled by the churches.

That said, I'd happily believe if it got me laid by some hot christian chicks.

17. macrumors 65816

Barking up the wrong tree, you have to put in way too much legwork before you get anywhere. :eek:

18. macrumors regular

Yes

19. macrumors G5

yg17

No. I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, the boogeyman, Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster, so why would I believe in an invisible man in the sky with magical powers?

20. macrumors 6502a

I'm about the same. Evolutionary Biology has too much evidence for me to believe in stories in a very old book. :)

21. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

Yes. I believe in god.

I don't believe in organized religion. And I don't necessarily think god is a person or a being with a personality.

22. macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Depends on how you define God. If God is to be defined as the sum of all laws of nature, and nothing more than that, then I certainly believe in this entity. But since most people (including OP, I presume) define God as an omnipotent, omnipresent and personified being, my answer is "absolutely not". I'm not writing off the possibility, I'm just saying that I have no reason to believe. Btw, I don't believe in unicorns either.

23. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Here's my problem. I don't believe in god, but i KNOW that the lights don't go out after death. I wish i could believe that, but i can't because of some things that i have personally witnessed.

24. floyde, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

macrumors 6502a

floyde

I believe in god as the mechanism by which the brain shields itself from the burden of reality.

Fear is a great feature of the brain that helps us to keep ourselves out of harm's way (i.e. fear of death must significantly increase our life expectancy since it mostly keeps us from reckless actions that could result in death), but too much fear can be paralyzing and can negatively affect our chances of survival and reproduction. God, gods, and spirituality are probably just the brain's means to balance things out and to allow us to be functional when the going gets rough (and boy, can it get rough sometimes!).

Such certainty is usually an indication that you don't posses enough information about the subject as to make you doubt.

25. macrumors 6502

Nope

but that Ancient Aliens show is freaking me out a bit:eek: