Do you buy more CD now than before mp3 came along?

Discussion in 'Community' started by crassusad44, Jul 29, 2002.

?

Do you buy more CDs now than before?

1. Yes, a lot more

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. More than before

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Probably as much as before

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Less than before

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Don't buy CDs anymore

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

With the contant war between the RIAA and the music loving people, I thought this might be an interesting thread...

Do you buy more or less CDs now, than you did before mp3 came along?

Here's my take:
    I have never been a big CD buyer, but after I got broadband and started to download a lot of mp3s, I have caught myself buying more CDs. Why? Because mp3 gives me the opportunity to evalulate the music before I buy. If I download a couple of songs from a new album, I usually end up buying the whole album. I also sometimes browse the web for random mp3s. When I find a new group I like, I often end up buying a CD. If it were not for mp3 I would never have bought System of a Down's CD «Toxicity», nor The Hives with «Veni, vidi, vicious».
    The only CDs I do not buy, is the copy protected ones......

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I never really bought CD's until after I got Limewire. Now I hear a band on the radio, etc. and download one or two songs and if I like it, I go out and buy the album.

Downloading songs has helped me to "try before I buy.." :)

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I haven't been buying CDs all that much anymore - there are so many options for music online and even the QT Radio selections aren't that bad. So I pretty much here everything I want - and I even have an XMRadio for the car and home - so that makes buying CDs even less of a need.

D

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I still purchase cd's but right away I pull them into iTunes and toss the songs onto my iPod. I keep the cd's so that I can play them in the truck, or if I go to someone else's residence that only has a cd player (and nothing for me to plug the iPod into).

5. 2Step Garage macrumors newbie

something about that fresh CD smell

There is something about buying a cd that makes it worth the $15 - 20 price tag. I dont know if its the sheer joy you get when you finally get the packaging off, or the smell of the plastic, but whatever it is, nothing beats holding that cd in your hand.

Plus the artwork on the cd alone, is enough for me to lay down some change.

man... i hear Virgin Mega Store calling my name... crap... BYE!

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah, usually I just rip the CD's once I get them and never touch them after that. Sad really...

Or I just borrow a friends CD....;)

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I buy CD's too after listening the MP3, the CD's sounds better and it feels like the real thing, perhaps is the security of the media and the chance of getting the entire album, something that is not easy to get in the net.

To buy a CD is to be secure that there is not anything missing from that artist.

What I do is to get the CD name, look for the song list of the original album and look for them in the internet, but that can take even a week or more, if I really like the album I get the real thing, that is it. MP3 is just for tasting material.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm into getting the CDs now. Months ago and before that I had little interest in CDs. But since so many cool bands came along and I heard so many of their songs on the rad I decided that I better go with the CD, since there may be other songs not on the radio I like. Usually, this is the case.

9. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I'm buying more cds than I used to, but there's one thing that never would have happened without MP3:

I'm seeing a lot of live shows from bands I would never have heard of otherwise. I like finding MP3 from some tiny little band in god knows where, and seeing them in a tiny venue a year later.

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

There are many bands I would have never considered before Limewire came along. I'm buying more CD's.

11. big macrumors 65816

big

yep, buying cd's by the chance of hearing it on mp3, ie...I almost bought Bob Dylan's newest, till I heard it off Limewire...WOW! it was bad! no sale.

though I heard Lauryn Hill's newest double disk, ran out and got it! it's give and take on what is actually worth it or not.

12. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, I'll have to try to get a couple of songs from it. This album is pretty new in Norway, so the online store did not have a song list. But it said the regular album was copy protected, but the double not...

Interesting to see most of us/you here at MR are buying the same amount or more CDs, though... Not that many who buy less. Something for the RIAA to consider??? :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :)

13. big macrumors 65816

big

>hmm, I'll have to try to get a couple of songs from it.

careful, its very very very different. It took me 3 days of listening to it 24 hours a day to realize how good it is.

though I imagine I could almost like Poisin or other '80s rock bands if I did that too (almost)

Like Paul Simon's newest CD (which I initially ripped), it is so different form Graceland & Saints, though now I fully enjoyed it, so I went out and bought that too!

just about any music worth while (like software) is worth an appropriate price to own an original copy

14. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Sadly, the RIAA is too buereacratic and stale to 'consider' much. They need to rape artists and consmers to exist, although I still can't figure out why they exist.

I've decided to commit my self to a strict RIAA free regime. Most albums I buy aren't on major labels anyway, but I will be buying all my major label releases used (preferably on vinyl). It may screw the artist out of 50¢ a sale, but it screws the record companies out of $5. In this age, an artist can produce and distribute without a record company. An artists can do much of their own promotion without a record company. And without major labels & the RIAA, we wouln't have to suffer he likes of Aguiera, N'Sync, Spears, and all the other manufactured crap. Bring back music with merit!

The movie industry may be on the right track. Why does a feature length DVD (more content, newer technology, bigger plastic box) cost less than a CD in most cases? Because it is easier for everyone to BUY a $17 DVD than d/l it from LimeWire, eDonkey, etc. If they would just give up on the whole legislative horror...

15. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have been purchasing more CD's ever since I switched from my old Dell laptop to my current Ti800. I have had a few hundred CD's for a while, but looking through them to find what I want to listen to is generally a pain. I had considered getting a CD jukebox, but with an iPod, it is not worth it.

Since it so convienent to listen to music now, I am more interested in new releases.

16. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Thank God for MP3's because before them, I would be buying hundreds of crappy cd's for one song. My take is...if there's three good songs off that cd...buy it... if not...wait for the single. Lately, though, I haven't seen that many cd singles...:D

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

The only time i ever buy cd's is as a present for someone else. Other than that, i never have bought cd's, and still don't. I have no real need for them, what with the best radio station in the world (Capital FM) and a library of cd's belonging to my brother ;)

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have never bought many CDs. I've had a CD player since 1986 and own fewer than 75 CDs. I have about the same number of vinyl records. Whenever possible and available, I would buy the laserdisc or DVD of the artist, whether music videos or live performances. CDs are just too expensive. Originally, they said that the media was expensive and the process was expensive and it would all get cheaper. I believe it is cheaper for the manufacturer and the distributor, but the consumer and the artists don't see any benefits.

I have tried a couple of legally downloaded mp3 files and found that, with dialup, they're just not worth it. Perhaps, MPEG4 will change that. FM Stereo has gotten quite a bit better since the vinyl days and that's good enough for now.

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I've stopped buying cds because the RIAA are lying bitches. I mean, they are now targeting individual users for sharing music. Congress just passed a new ruling that allows the RIAA to hack into your computer to disable it if you have a reasonable possibility of having illegal mp3s! The RIAA are not supposed to delete files, but they can't really be held responsible if they do delete your files. This is outrageous and I'm boycotting cds.

20. Joshlew macrumors member

I own a lot of CDs and still buy as much even though I own an iPod.:)

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'd like to see them try to hack into my TiBook... Never mind the fact that I am behind a firewall as well as on a closed network at home.

How are they supposed to know if the mp3 files you have are legal or not?? If a friend gives you a few mp3 files because you cannot get the same cd or if you rip some songs into iTunes for your own use, who's to say they will be able to tell the difference???

I think someone needs to open up several kegs of whoop-ass on them. Especially if they delete mp3 files that you pulled from cd's that you purchased, or that you were given (how many people get music cd's for holiday gifts? :eek: ).

Another reason why we need less government, not more.

22. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I buy very few CDs. Between file sharing, streaming radio and old fashioned FM radio I have little use for them.

23. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I never cared a lot for mp3. yes its handy because its so small that a lot of demos from my bands fit on my ipod.... but the sound quality....ahhh
    I just rent cd's and burn them if a need only 2 or 3 songs.
    I almost never buy new releases. They're to damn expensive here.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You can set the quality when you make mp3 files as high, or low, as you want.

With no location listed for you the 'here' holds no meaning, ya twit. :eek:

Newbury Comics often sells brand new releases for under $15 (closer to the $12 mark). :p Ya cheap bastage... :p

25. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i have never bought a CD in my life.
    this is not because im a gready pig who likes to mooch of of other peoples music collection.
    but because i never was intrested in music until i got itunes.
    now i am busy commiting my familly and friend's music collection to my HD;)
    i have also been known to use limewire on occasion