Do you buy things from the same brand?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Sep 23, 2006.

Do you buy things from the same brand?

1. Yes, always.

7 vote(s)
  2. Mostly, but I occasionally switch brands from time to time.

23 vote(s)
  3. There are brands I trust, but I don't necessarily always buy from them.

23 vote(s)
  4. No, never!

3 vote(s)
  1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I tend to, especially when it comes to electronics, but there are a few things where I just haven't decided which brand to lock in to. One major category is cell phones. I've dealt with a medley of carriers and phone manufacturers, and I'm never sure which is the best. I'm making some switches in this category, and I'm on T-Mobile and Motorola, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to lock in two years with them.

• For computing, I trust Apple.
    • For cameras, I trust Canon.
    • For camcorders, I trust Sony. I used to buy Canons, but I've been very impressed with the Zeiss lens on the Sonys.
    • For groceries, I trust Safeway.
    • For air travel, I use United, but don't necessarily trust them. They're just convenient because they have a hub here in Denver, but that's about it. Their legroom statements about them having more legroom than any other airline is a joke.
    • For hotels, I trust Starwood. We used to have a ton of Hilton HHonors points, but Hiltons have just become run down in recent years.
    • For cars, I trust Jeeps. Always classic.

What brands do you trust?
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Computer Hardware-Apple
    Computer Software-Google, Apple, Mozilla
    Music Players-Apple
    Buying the Music-Apple
    Video Game System-Nintendo
    Video Games-Nintendo
    Food Stores-Wegmans
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'm not like that at all, really.

Computers - Apple
    Mp3 players - iPod
    Mobile Phones - Sony Ericsson

Cameras, groceries, cars, video games, furniture, clothes, etc - Doesn't matter if the price is right, or if performance and cost ratio is good.
  4. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    Computer Hardware-Dell, HP
    Computer Software-Microsoft, Various other Game Companies.
    Music Players-None atm.
    Buying the Music-Apple
    Video Game System-Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo
    Video Games-Nintendo, Microsoft, Various Others
  5. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
    Street shoes — Adidas and Puma
    MP3 players — Apple
    Orange juice — Tropicana :D

that's about it.
  6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I haven't gotten the phones down. My family has bought a lot of Samsungs over the years, and they've been pretty good until recently. We've also had Verizon for some time but are not happy with them from recent performance.
  7. ejb190 macrumors 65816

Some times it makes sense, some times is doesn't.
    If the quality drops, I am gone in a second. For instance, I used to love Cannon printers. Now I wouldn't touch one.

Shoes - I have hard to fit feet and I know what works: Brooks and New Balance.
    Dive Gear - I have mostly ScubaPro, but that was what the closest shop dealt with.
    Cameras - Nikon. I started with a N50 and a couple of lenses. Didn't make any sense to switch.
    Bicycles - This is a good one. My Bianchi bike has Continental tires, GripShift shifters, Specialized lights, Shimano peddles, Coda bar ends, Schwinn computer, and a Cannondale water bottle cage.
    Cell Phones - I have had really good luck with Motorola. Verizon was good, but I have been happier with Cingular since I switched.

And iMacZealot, I got a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport as a company vehicle this year. I love it!!!!
  8. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Yeah, if a brand starts to go downhill, like Samsung, I'll drop them. As for shoes, I've always stuck with Converse as they've fit me and always look good, even though the rappers with white puffy shoes tell me they aren't. I've always stuck with Canon because I like the ease of use (even though my dad can't seem to understand his) and the quality is generally good. I don't like Kodak's interface and all. I want iPhoto, not Easy Share!

And Jeeps have been great. My family always sticks to them. My sister has the first year (2002) of the Liberty Limited in Green, and it's become quite the chick car, although I think it's a good car. When my dad was buying my mom a car for Mother's day, he was going to get her a Cayenne, but she didn't like the looks of it, and besides, foreign car parts are more expensive to replace. Her silver Grand Cherokee rocks!
  9. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes I am very brand loyal

tvs, vcrs, dvd players, camcorders- sony, panasonic, sharp
    shoes-almost always nike for sneakers
    ive had to change grocery stores since i moved
    only tide for washing powder, clorox for bleach, and joy for dish detergent, and cascade for dishwasher
  10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I don't care really. I buy whatever I like and whatever brand it is. Apple products is what I want so I always check them first.

Apple- yup
    Sony- Okay
    Philips- sure
    HP/Compaq- yuck!

11. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2006
    Computers- Apple
    Coffee- Starbucks; even from country to country their coffee tastes the same.
    Cameras- Kodak disposable cameras (now that is old skool) :p
    TV- Sony; I have had a tv from them for eight years and running
    Games and Hardware- Nintendo (I remember playing super mario brothers when it was in B&W)

When it comes to everything else I just buy what I like. I really only use brand loyalty when it comes to technology.
  12. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    computers - apple
    coffee - anything EXCEPT starbucks. peets actually :)

all else, as needed. i live 256 miles from the nearest starbucks, and would be willing to move if i could find anywhere further from a starbucks store... those freaking things are everywhere! :eek:
  13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

Jul 2, 2003
    New York
    computers & iPods and such - Apple
    video game consoles - Nintendo
    cars - vw (though oddly enough I drive a nissan now, but thats because $$)
    phones - motorola with cingular

and thats basically it. I'm partial to sony for many electronic devices, but nothing specifically.
  14. CompUser Guest

Computers: Apple
    Cell Phones: Motorola (I like Sony but we only use Verizon service)
    Printers: HP
    Camcorders: Sony
    DVD/VCRs: Sony or Panasonic
    TVs: Sony
    Networking Stuff: Linksys
    Peanut Butter: Jiffy
    Soccer Cleats: Addidas, Nike gives every blisters
    Staplers: Swingline
    Tape: Scotch
    Scissors: Friskars

Cars: My parents aren't huge American Car fans but we do have a jeep and we like it. My dad loves land rovers, he's had a '68 Series II, 1990 Range Rover, has a 2003 Discovery and we might be trading in the Disco for an LR3. I wouldn't say we "trust" land rovers but my dad likes them a lot.
  15. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Computers: Apple
    POS PeeCees: HP
    Peripherals: Logitech
    Music: Apple
    Graphics: ATi
    Processors: Intel
    Wireless networking: Linksys, unfortunately
    Printers (normal/consumer): HP. I had a SINGLE Deskjet 812C last me for a decade.
    Printers (Professional): Epson all the way.
    Games: EA
    Game systems: Nintendo, then Sony
    Cordless Phones: Panasonic
    external HDs: Maxtor
    Cellular Phones: Samsung has the best track record with me. Moto has the worst- fragile phones with terrible UI, poor battery life, and extremely underpowered in terms of processing power.
    DVD Players, TVs etc. is more of a toss-up but Philips and Sony both have good track records and high rates of repeat purchase

Camcorders (high end): Sony

Cameras and Lenses: Nikon (partly for ease of use versus others including canon, actually!)

Editing Software (photo): Nikon again.

Cars: BMW
    CDs/DVDs: Memorex
    staplers: swingline
    ice cream: Haagen Dazs
    Soda: Coca-Cola brands (mostly)
    Shoes: New Balance
    Jeans: Polo
    T-shirts: ErrorWear and Hot Topic ;)
  16. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I've had exactly the opposite with Samsung recently. They've had good phones, but their ringtones are like a circus and the UI is a joke --- rainbows and stars and red balloons and the four leaf clover! It's as if someone ate too much of Lucky Charms and decided to make a cell phone UI out of it.

Oh, Haagen Dazs is hot, though.
  17. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    Only two really

Computers - Apple
    Shirts/Sweaters/Jackets - American Apparel
  18. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    Apart from Apple for computers, I don't have much loyalty to brands. Brands I've used certainly have an advantage, but if there's something cheaper and better, I will most likely ignore branding. Game consoles, cell phones and compact cameras are two examples for this.
  19. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    My samsung is abouta year-year and a half old design, i'm about to be on my 3rd copy of the same phone, and both times it took a lot of doing to break them :)
  20. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    My A670 is defective ---- my brother had the same phone, and after a year it snapped in half, and ditto for his girlfriend, and I think mine's about to do the same.
  21. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    well both of mine snapped in half too

but it took a lot of (intentional) trying to do it!

the most recent one (replacement arriving next week) involved hurling it onto a concrete and brick floor from about 10-15 feet up.

this was the A790
  22. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Oh, god I hate our family's A790! Not only would Sprint not give us the SIM card, but it's a HUGE phone with terrible sounds! I hate the noises it makes on that stupid keypad! I hate that phone with a passion.
  23. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    huge? I've had WAY bigger (moved up from a sanyo mm-7400)

you know you CAN turn those sounds off :)

its the first thing i do each time I get it :p

besides now i'll have three batts for it!
  24. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    the mm-7400 is 4.07 ounces and the A790 is 4.7 ounces. I see a big difference.

Yeah, you can turn the sounds off, but the menus are still annoying nonetheless. I'd say the sanyo has a better interface.

And what's the deal with the dock charger? Isn't this supposed to be a travel phone?
  25. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Cotton swabs - Q-Tip

Seriously, have you tried the other brands?? They are crap!!! Try using a "store brand" cotton swab to do anything, they bend, the cotton falls off, etc. Q-tip is amazing. :D