do you call yourself a techie, nerd, or geek?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 4, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if you are a computer person in the field, do you call yourself a techie, nerd, or geek?

are those terms deragatory?

then what would you call that loose group of programmers, engineers, graphics and sound people, and computer people?

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I prefer Nerd to Geek, but mostly of all I love Techie cause then it doesn't make me sound like a total wierdo!

Ensign

3. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

I'd have to call myself a quasi-geek. I'm not too geeky or too cool. In other words, I know my way around technology and I love computers and all that. I like working out. I can bench press over 300 and I enjoy targetshooting. Hey, I've been around guns since I was 8 years old, it's no big deal to me. I plan on getting my pilots license this year, so I guess I'm some kind of Type A. I'm into CG and I own Lightwave and I'm getting better at it all the time. I still don't consider myself up to pro level yet. I plan on learning Maya as well, I have the PLE. I own a Canon XL-1 that I use with Final Cut Pro 3 but I may sell it or trade it for a GL-1. So much stuff, so little time.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm definitely not a techie...

I've occasionally referred to myself as a computer nerd...

geed? nah...

my preferred label is "junkie!" ;)

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i was never a popular or social person. but i'm not a hermit who sits in my room all day playing on my computer and such...

i'd say nerd though...

i see a nerd as someone who's smart, but doesn't necessarily put much effort into things. with a geek being someone who puts forth a ton of effort for little or no results.

and i've already gone over my status as techie or not. jef has convinced me that any computer graphics/art person is at least a partial techie...

i dont' care what people call me...

6. iGav macrumors G3

Junkie..... definitely..... :p Good one..... Mind you, a junkie in England is someone that likes those Class A's if you know what I mean, and having a habit ain't conducive to getting into blighty and sharing that absinthe boy!! :p

I quite like Geek..... it makes you sound alternative, weird and smart...... That's me.... :D

But if I had to describe myself.... I am a...

mountain biker, designer, lover....... ;)

All me..... :D

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I know exactly what u mean...although I've never had a problem in theose areas...if u catch my drift...

my favorite title (aside from this) is "Student of Life"... ;)

8. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

I am a geek, I wear my MacGeek shirt 2/5 days out the week:)

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow. you ARE a geek....

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

consider this...

although I'm avoiding studying for my final on monday...

how many of us are here posting to macrumors on a saturday?! :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: consider this...

Tag team! I'm avoiding studying for computers too. Computers wins out every time. Been doing that ever since I joined here. It's addicting.

I'd consider myself a nerd. I like that term. My occupation is a tech, and geek sounds so HS.

Nerd is specific, geek can be a more general term.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

tech/geek

I am both a tech and a geek. Nerds were those pasty faced dweebs that everyone beat on during school (pocket protectors were also standard issue with them). Geek's on the other hand, have the cool toys (suck as a motorcycle :D ) and can relate to people. Tech's are the geeks that get paid to help people that don't know squat about computers, or when they f*ck up the computer.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

All three apply to me and I don't really take them as a negative comment, I've been called geek more than anything else. I think its a little bit better than being called a nerd.