Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Just as the title says, do you carry your MBA in a case when moving it around your house?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

Any problems yet? I'm debating whether or not to buy a case for it. I've had laptops in the past, but usually just cheap ones that are made of plastic, so I don't know if the MBA will be more durable than my previous plastic laptop's since it's made of aluminum.

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
I've never used a case on a laptop around the house. I'm not sure what would happen to it, to be honest. I have a skin on it, and I transport it in an unpadded mt. smith bag when I'm out of the house. Don't throw it, knock it off a table, or dump beer on it, and it should be fine

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
Me neither. It's a durable laptop. It doesn't need to be babied in your own house. I was like that with my older MacBook and MacBook Pros also. No issues with any of them here.

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I carry it together with my incase sleeve

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Never, it only ever goes into its sleeve before it goes in my bag to leave the house..

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
hell no, i don't even put any case or sleeve when i'm on the road. i just slip it on my bag.

indianavtx

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Good God, it's a computer and not a piece of fine china. Just carry the thing around your house. :rolleyes:

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
That sounds like a lot of hassell.

I have a Cool Bananas BulletProof hard case but only use it when I leave the house. Its a really nice case and well priced.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I have a plastic hard cover on my whitebook that I've had for ~1.5 years and its not showing any of the case cracking other have had... my HP DM4 is half aluminum/plastic with a metal frame and I don't have any case on it unless its traveling.

The HP doesn't feel as solid to pick up as a MBA but I also don't worry about it as much = it was only 2/3rd's the cost of the MBA that I'm deciding if I'll keep right now (5 days left on my 14 days)...

The HP's keyboard actually feels more rigid than the whitebook and MBA I have in the house right now - probably due to the metal internal frame.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have an oversized Halliburton case I use to transport the MBA from my home office to the living room.

This ensures maximum protection for that long journey. Plus the Halliburton looks really cool.

(;o)

n2arkitektur

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
OC
I keep mine in the sleeve whenever I am not using it, so it is not really about carrying it around in the sleeve; it is just about keeping it protected when not in use. I do have concrete floors, so I am conscientious about that.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Just as the title says, do you carry your MBA in a case when moving it around your house?

:eek:

No. It's a piece of consumer electronics, not a baby or a fragile, expensive work of art.

I take good care of my stuff. But if it gets a minor surface scratch or two, I won't lose my mind. I buy a MB to do work (and play), and it will get replaced in a couple of years anyway.

matelot

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
NY
I have an oversized Halliburton case I use to transport the MBA from my home office to the living room.

This ensures maximum protection for that long journey. Plus the Halliburton looks really cool.

(;o)

:eek: you got IEDs in the house eh

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
No Case

I use my 13" at home and at school. I have a full body invisible shield on the top and the bottom, but otherwise just keep it in my backpack with my books, no separate anything. It makes it much quicker to access, and when I'm moving between classes I don't even put it away, I just shut it and carry it to the next class.

The case is made out of aluminum, a good rule of thumb is to not have it next to anything sharp or harder than aluminum! (i.e. no metal: gromets, keys, scissors, etc)

I love having such easy access to it, but I will say if you cary it in a backpack or another bag, be careful of putting it in magsafe side down. It is possible to have small bits of metal attracted to the magsafe port, which gets stuck there and when you plug the plug in, it can ruin the port!

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
I got this case for my upcoming MBA 13 - but will only use it when my MBA is out of the flat ;)

Vaja case custom made light blue leather with frost blue stripe:

86127563.jpg

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006

(;o)

nothing looks cooler than a naked Macbook Air :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.