do you do something special on your birthday?

Discussion in 'Community' started by YS2003, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I stopped doing anything special on my birthday since I hit 20 (now 32). I feel my birthday is another just same year and I feel I am too adult to do buy a cake and all of those nonsense (besides, I don't even touch sweets because I only eat low carb, low fat, low calory, and low sugar foods only; my co-worker even mocked me by saying he wants to knock me out to make me eat his wife's sweet cookies. Of course, I don't budge on that one and refused to eat the cookies). Do other forum members do something special at his/her birthday?

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I do nothing special on my birthday. It's just like any other day.

If I'm home my mom usually bake a cake. I wasn't home on my last birthday, so no cake for me then. Maybe next time.

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

When I was with my previous employer, the accounting dept (yeah, that's right) brought in a basket of flowers and bunch of cookies. As a workaholic, I did not know I had a birthday that day without that flower and cookie.At certain years, those flower and cookies are sitting on my desk as I am mostly on the road and travelling out of state. My down-to-earth colleague made sure those "cookies" would not be wasted by distributing to every employee at my former company. That was good because I don't eat cookies even if I am tourtured to eat them (I have done this last 8 years and I will do this for the rest of my life).

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

YS2003, you need to slow down and enjoy the ride of life. Work is for the weak...

Or is that week... :p

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Yea, I go and eat at Saltgrass. Pretty much it...

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

7. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

It's good if you still remember your birthday. I notice I had a birthday after it passed. I think I put my priority in a different thing.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well considering that I've been in school for the past few years, and that my birthday falls at a somewhat inopportune time (just shy of mid-March), I've celebrated the past three birthdays with at least one midterm exam :rolleyes: . After that unpleasantness, I'd generally go and maybe have a nice lunch out or treat myself to something I've been wanting for a while.

Birthdays really lose their appeal after 21. Other than the ones that end in zero (30, 40, etc), the only thing you have to look forward to after that is retirement.

9. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Nah birthday's just mean you haven't died for a year :rolleyes:

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My pals and I make a habit of going out to a restaurant on our birthdays (or the weekend that's closest) to have a good meal and a few drinks. And we all still swap presents... We don't have a party though unless it's a big birthday.

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hopefully nothing. I just want to relax on my birthdays and have no work or other obligations.

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

The only thing I never do on my birthday is to work, no matter the day I have off... this year will be a sunday , so next year I know it will be free for me.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and it all speeds by freaking fast

14. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I always take holiday and hide from it all. I hate birthdays and have done since I was about 5. Next year I'm 30 and I'm not looking forward to it. Maybe a spot of caving is in order :eek:

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Mine is in a couple of days! :) Going out for nice meal with the missus and that's about it. I'm a real humbug when it comes to birthdays (only for mine though, quite enjoy celebrating others!) but my girlfriend always insist on doing something special. Like others have said, once you pass the 21 mark it becomes all a bit of an effort!

16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Since I'm still young (17) I rock out on my birthday.

In symphony, whenever it's someone's birthday, we organize it so everyone plays happy birthday on the downbeat. It does double duty: it wishes the person a happy birthday AND confuses the director. :) :) :)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am a dumb yankee, so bear with me, what is 'caving' ?

i did get to live in south kensington for a semester abroad though and i did pick up a few words and mannerisms i still have to this day 20 years later ;)

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't do anything special anymore. Like others it is just another day. My wife and I usually eat out though. A new Mac some day will be special enough.

19. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Timely, as it's coming up fast yet again - usually a card in the morning from my wife - and now one from my daughter, and after work there will be a little cake she's picked up and a few presents (book / DVD variety). Usually dinner reflects something I particularly like or a place I like.

I do not like the workplace birthday thingy. Don't like the trying to "surprise" the person year-after-year on their birthday, don't like it that some people act surprise (we do it at the same time of day) - "hmm, really a meeting in the conference room at 1:30?? - Must be legit..." I like the thought - it's a nice thing for people to take time out and say happy birthday - where it breaks down is the work-place-ritual forced aspect.

20. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think the work place birthday is very tacky as you will be forced to tell how old you are (especially when you a guy). In a private setting, you can just tell inquierers none of their business; but, in the work setting, you need to be tactful to relay a message that your co-workers' nosy inquiry is not appreciated and that you are not telling. Once you graduate the college, there is no point advertising your age (before that you need to advertise it to let the world know you are getting closer to the so-called "legal" age).

21. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't place any importance on birthdays. As for my own, well, I normally only realise it's my birthday when someone rings to wish me a happy birthday. No-one at the office knows when it's my birthday (even tho I've been working with the same people for 3 years) and 7 times out of 10 I can't remember when it is either...

22. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Usually my parents take me out to dinner and my sister and her family comes. I also usually buy myself a present. At the hospital occasionally nurses get a cake for someone if its their birthday working there. They did it for me last year.

I don't really like cake or soda- and I'm not a huge fan of chocolate but I will eat it every so often.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i might treat myself to something, but other than that nothing ever really happens on my bday

24. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am in the same boat as you are. The media and corporate marketing machines are full at work to make you do something (should I say, expensive, or paying extra for extra things) on the birthday. I prefer celebrating my achievements (in my career or at work).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.