Do You Do This With Your Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dan-o-mac, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I traded my old powerbook for this display and I've probably hooked up my MacBook to it 5 times tops. I'll come home and plunk my laptop on my desk and forget the display is even there! Don't know if I'm not used to hooking it up or the monitor is something I don't really need. So am I the only loser who does this? :eek: :(

Attached Files:

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

haha no not at all I used to do the same thing. I would say to myself man my neck is killng me I really need to stop staring at this screen and then it would hit me... you idiot, it's right on your desk. that's the only would remember.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

thats funny. I have a 17" samsung that sits on my desk, i come home, drop MBP in front of it, and never plug it in... sometimes it's not worth the hassle, and I guess the ability to switch apps easily makes it okay to not use an external screen.

must admit, I'm getting more into digital photography, and an ACD 30" is on my shopping list this year.

I spent a fair bit of dosh making my home office look nice, including new his and hers furniture.. it's not uncommon for me to come home from work, or wherever, and sit in the lounge room, watching some cable, with my MBP on my lap. (and a coopers in a glass) :)

I remember once i fired up google earth, on my external monitor, the next day I went to work, and went to use google earth again, and couldnt see anything, coz the window wouldnt appear on my primary MBP screen, it was still 'virtually' positioned for the external monitor! doh! wonder if the latest version fixes that.

I say plug that sucker in, throw some stuff up on it (safari, or itunes, or...) and enjoy it. make yourself use it more! who knows, you may find an ideal setup/config for your needs

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

My setup looks almost like yours except I do use the external monitor as much as possible because it is at eye level preventing me from slouching and having bad posture.

Attached Files:

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

haha, yeah i do that with my PowerBook and Dell monitor. If do hook my PB up to the monitor i ususally keep in mirror mode and have the monitor scale the image up, but keep the aspect ratio (4:3).

6. likeavaliant macrumors regular

i do the same thing.
    i just dont really have any use for dual monitors at this point.
    i'd show you a picture, but it looks basically like yours.

7. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Good to know I'm not alone on this one. Maybe I'm just to lazy to set it up. I took your advice and hooked this bad boy up, damn it's sexy! I need to get into the habit of hooking it up everyday.

Attached Files:

8. thr33face macrumors 6502

did someone say, it was such a hassle to connect an external display? like plug in one cable, just like USB?

ah nevermind.

but may i drive this thread to a new direction?

would anyone know a keyboard shortcut for display rotation? say if i press 'apple+shift+d' or so the external display rotates 90°? that would really come in handy. :)

9. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Anytime I am at my desk at home, I have the external monitor plugged in. I use it to keep Skype chats and email separate from anything else I am working on.

This way, I can see very quickly if the new message or chat is important or it can wait for me to finish what I am doing. I work at home, so I deal with a lot of chats.

Those chats also get in the way most of the time.

Having the 2 monitors really makes development easier as well. Because, I can glance over at the other screen to see my progress, or see the database structure without any interaction with the computer.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, seriously. You've got a nice display sitting there not being used. Might as well use it or sell it (or you could give it to me :) ).

11. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I bought an iCurve over Christmas and so my setup at work consists of OS X on my MacBook Pro screen and Windows XP on a Dell LCD screen provided by work which is powered by the MacBook Pro and Parallels. Works quite nicely for me except that the Dell LCD isn't a patch on the MacBook Pro's display, which is a shame since I spend a lot of time staring at the Dell...

12. Joony macrumors regular

eww, side by side for my MBP and Dell 2005FPW :)