Do you drive a car? Scary vid ...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EGT, Feb 8, 2006.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    This is an advert running in the UK but it'll never be shown in the US.

I'd planned on getting my motorcycle license within a few months but this makes you think twice. :eek:

Look, Look, and look again.
  2. CompUser Guest

Wow that is pretty scary. Thats one of the reasons I hate motorcyles. They're dangergous, loud, and provide no protection from the elements.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    thats a good advert. frankly i'm loving what these guys are doing with car adverts. so shocking and mad. like the slow motion one of the kid being hit by the car. and the one with the kids in London filming themselves messing around with a mobile phone only to film one of the kids being smashed into by a car.

they're good. I dont drive but they have an effect on me.

I dont mind motorbikes myself. infact it may be my first vehicle. just getting one is going to be hard. my uncle had 3 accidents when he was younger, and a family friend was killed just before christmas on his bike. just the overall cost is better, cheaper to run, more fun to ride.
  4. Sogo macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    wow, If i haddnet been expecting something...boy...
  5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    First off, great ad.

Second, I'm no longer saving for a bike.
  6. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Holy crap.

My dad was a fighter pilot in the USAF for 26 years... he flew A-1 Skyraiders in Vietnam, then A-7 Corsairs, OV-10 Broncos, and A-10 Thunderbolt IIs before he retired. Like many pilots, he was a bit of a speed freak (a trend he's grown out of now, thank goodness). He talked for a while about buying a motorcycle, and my mom always said no. The logic: You may be flying around in the sky at 650 MPH, but there are no larger planes flying around that will run you over. Being shot at while flying a plane is STILL safer than riding a motorcycle.

If you ever see ME on a motorcycle, try to keep up... there must be something REALLY bad chasing me if I worked up the nerve to get on one of those things.
  7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Damn that dude got nailed......last time i rode a bike i ended up in the bushes. Look drivers!

8. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Seems like it was both the driver or the car and the bikes fault. Why in Sam's name did the biker not hit the breaks?

Was the biker blind?

Sure the driver of the car was looking both sides before making a L/R turn, however his movements were a tad slow.

I say both were at fault. :rolleyes:
  9. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Doesn't stop the biker from being dead and the situation never to have happened if that were two cars (because the driver who looked both sides would have spotted a car at the same distance and speed).
  10. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    :confused: Rather dilutes the message, don't you think?
  11. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Yeah, I think that that was the point of the commercial-- to be more aware and cognisant that motorcycles are harder to spot but to be aware that there are bikes on the road.

Anway. Everybody I've ever personally known to ride a bike has been in an accident. Some have been near death. Resulting in them going to the hospital twice a day to get bandages replaced and wounds treated. :shudder: That's why I tell my boyfriend that if he ever buys a motorcyle or rides one, I'm not going to be with him anymore. (I can't handle that kind of worrying!)
  12. CompUser Guest

This person in my town was driving a motorcycle at night. Something happened and he tried to pass a car but ended up hitting a truck coming head on in the opposite lane. He lived, but was in a comma for monthes, forgot every basic skill like writing, opening a door, etc, and had to have part of his leg aputated.
  13. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    I gave up riding a bike when I took mine to be serviced and noticed that every single mechanic at the garage was limping....
  14. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Am I the only one who feels this is a bad advert?

Its a fiction. Thousands of hours of accident footage is available for such a program. The 'red asphalt' series in the US has much more impact than any rigged impact IMO.

The bike is not visable in the first take. Why?

Why is targeting a driver who shows rather good driving saftey (no cells {now illegal in the UK?}, food, loud music, or lack of attention to driving a good idea?

How many accidents are the result of such actions? Wouldn't making a PSA about not using your cell/read a newspaper/do your makup be a better use of funds?

Argh. I never understand why these things come out. Why spend time and money on something like this while ignoring all the much larger risks on the road. :mad:

Its like the 'speed kills' bull***** we keep hearing. Right, and abstonance is the best way to protect yoruself from std's.

/me steps off his soap box.

Sorry, been a long day inside wishing I was out on the grass people watching.
  15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I agree. The problem isn't that someone is on a bike, the problem is that the car driver it totally blind. If he couldn't see that bike coming, then he'd probably miss a large semi coming too. The only thing this ad tells me is that they need to re-evaluate who the give driving licenses to. The car driver should be forced to ride the bus.
  16. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    UK does have ads about using mobile phones. One of a series of ads that includes the bike one, the two that raggedjimmi mentioned, among others.
  17. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    CRICKEY!!! That scared the bejEsus out of me:eek:

Too many times this happens in so many cities. What pisses me off the most is this isnt just limited to motorcycles .... everyday I walk my kids home from school on Wed/Thur/Frid when for the past month ..... there is a lighted crosswalk. You know those double XX pasted on the road ... how many times do drivers stop then when they can clearly see the lights blinking or even see kids - not just mine - crossing the street??!!:mad: Any of you that drives a car for several years ... .I promise you that if you nearly braked into my legs or even stick the front of your car out in the sidewalk area of an intersection (mostly side roads) when you can clearly see cars in traffic before pulling out ... I'd walk on the hood of your car and jump just for fun.

And if you think your tuff enough to come out of your car to get me ... rest assured you'd end up like the guy that had the same idea, weighed over 300 lbs of SOLID muscle trying to get a slim 16yr old that can run 100meters in 10.9 flat ... well he ended up with a broken nose ... a black eye and $thousands of vandalism damage to his car! He never got the chance to lay a finger on me .... because everytime he reached for me he got a 10.5 foot in his face! Deservedly so. When he called the cops ... witnesses that saw the whole thing ... said that I jumped on the car in fear of getting hit ... and the damage physical, car, and emotional pride was due to protecting myself. What a fool.

Just remember when coming to an intersection or coming onto a major road from a side road the other cars do NOT have to see you, you need to see them ... and sticking your car way into the lane doesnt assure the other cars will avoid you when an imminent accident will occur.

sorry for off topic but it just pisses me off!

I hope this commercial comes to North America ... Canada & the USA.
  18. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Yes, which is why I think this advert is good for those who take heed of it.

As for the driver missing other traffic, probably not true. There is a principle called 'motion camouflage' which can make bikes blend into the background and vanish to a driver directly up ahead. A related optical effect called 'looming' makes them visible again at the last minute - but this makes the driver momentarily freeze in his tracks.

Looming works on the part of the brain's cortex that uses 'edge detection' to alert it to the presence of movement. If the edge of an object - such as a bike moving down a street - cannot be detected, then no alert is trigged. Dragonflies use the trick to sneak up on their prey and missile engineers are adopting it to make their ballistics harder to dodge. Go figure :rolleyes:

When dragonflies hunt, they keep on a line between a fixed point in the landscape and its prey. If the prey moves, the dragonfly moves with it, keeping the fixed point directly behind it at all times - effectively hiding from the prey. This works because the outline of the dragonfly remains in the same place against its background, making it hard for the prey to detect its movement. At some point close to the prey, the dragonfly 'looms' into view. But it's too late for the prey.

To prevent "motion camouflage" as you approach a junction with a driver pulling out, a smooth, gentle, single, zig-zag motion creates a rapid edge movement against the background and destroys the motion camouflage. The other drivers eye snaps towards the biker and he/she (should) hold their actions. I don't do this because it causes me to ... err ... fall off. :p

Slow & seen to be safe :cool: And in balance.
  19. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Australia (particularly in the state of New South Wales) has a tradition of running similarly confronting driver safety adverts that would never be able to be aired in the USA.

Some of the more assertive ones:

Father Commercial

Heaven & Hell

Microsleep (I have not been able to find the 1996 "Nightshift" advert that shows a volkswagen van being crush in a head on with a truck.)
  20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Not to mention the three metre tall billboards on highways of people with their heads flying through windscreens. It's verging on disconcerting. :eek:
  21. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    They've started doing that? I haven't been home since 2002 so I'm not familiar with the recent tactics. Though I am disappointed in not finding the infamous kombi totaling commercial online.
  22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, they're telling us to stay awake. It works. I haven't seen the Kombi one though.
  23. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    i don't think so. there's no way that guy on the bike had time to react. (he should have been looking more carefully but still, he couldn't have avoided a wreck one way or the other)

motorcycle physics: apply brakes too rapidly - you will usually nose-wheelie (and or lose control) and crash. try to swerve too quickly - you will crash. a persons actions on a motorcycle need to be very smooth and deliberate.

that said, i ride motorcycles and i am an extremely cautious rider. people are so incredibly stupid and you really have to be on the watch for them... because someone has to be looking out for you. ;) i mostly ride dirtbikes - i.e., OFF road and away from all the jackasses on the streets. i wreck off road and i have myself to blame almost always. that is precisely the way i llike it. worrying about others worries me. :D
  24. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    It was originally run in 1996 but tends to get recycled.

This is a frame from the middle of it: [​IMG]
  25. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    After stepping out into the road without looking.

Road safety isn't the soul preserve of a car driver (even though it's easy to think it was judging by how these campaigns are made) motorbikes, cyclists, pedestrians all need to actively take a role in making public highways safer.

Unfortunately, the target always seems to be the driver, even in flawed P.S.A.'s such as the mobile phone ad, and the previous motor bike one (not the above link, but from a couple of years ago) where the driver of a car pretty much carried out a turning manoeuvre correctly, when he was hit in the side by a motorcyclist who would've been on the wrong side of the road at the time and obviously paying no attention to the signals of other road users.

I will say one thing though... for every bike on the road, the proportion of them been ridden dangerously with less consideration for other road users is far greater than that of car drivers.