Do you eat organic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macgeek2005, Aug 24, 2006.

?

Do you eat Organic?

1. I eat only Organic food.

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. I try to eat mostly organic, but I make exceptions.

27 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I sometimes eat organic, if it's not too expensive.

38 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. I don't eat Organic food.

18 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

This was a random idea I got, but since I was raised on all organic food, I was wondering what kind of poll results i'd get on this.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I started looking into it recently. I'm done with processed foods, and this is just a step beyond that.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm going to stop eating organic food now, and my kids (if/when) will never touch the stuff.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Is this part of the Secret™?

And I would wager that you've eaten plenty of non-organic food.

6. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

When possible I try to buy organic food, but I'll still eat non-organic food, of course.

7. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course everyone eats some non-organic food sometimes. To vote "I eat Organic food" doesn't mean you've never taken a bite of anything that isn't organic. It just means that basically, when you buy food, you buy organic.

8. Lau Guest

Organic food is great, but I'm not sure it's as simple as yes or no. Is is slightly more expensive, but my main issue is with the way it's sold. Here in the UK at least, there's a lot less greengrocers than there used to be, and so supermarkets are where most people get their fruit and veg. I find the thing that makes organic food expensive is the way it's sold — wrapped in tons of plastic and portioned, so you have to buy a punnet of tomatoes rather than the few you need, or five wrapped large mushrooms rather than two. This makes it much more expensive for me, because I would be forced to buy more than I need, which over a usual shop adds up to a lot. I imagine they do this because if they have both organic and non-organic fruit loose, they get mixed up at the till. Waitrose is one of the few major supermarkets that does have a few loose organic bits.

Fortunately, after having sorely missed good greengrocers when I lived in Bath, I've moved back to a city (and an area) teeming with all sorts of greengrocers, and am loving it. They may not necessarily be organic, but they're great value for great veg.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

:)

10. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Personally, I think the price of organic is ridiculous most of the time, and the supposed added benefits are minimal. It seems like every other day there are news reports going one way or the other about the actual benefits of organic.

We just try to eat less processed foods and cook things from scratch where possible and not too inconvenient. We try to avoid hydrogenated items and ones with high amounts of high fructose corn syrup. As far as fruits and veggies go we just make sure we wash them thoroughly before eating.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't care really.....once it doesn't have meat or anything in that circle then I'm cool.

Bless

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I eat organic when possible, especially milk, eggs, and meats (I only eat organic ground beef), but I'll eat non-orgainc food if they don't have the organic version or if I am eating at a resteraunt.

It is nice but not necissary, although I do prefer the taste of organic milk and eggs...

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think that marketers and sales people all over the world rejoice over finding this word "organic" and adding it to their items as it allows them to sell it for 5-20x the more than what they could if it wasnt labeled organic. Yay for sheep and lemmings!

ed

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Your statement was:

Does "all" not mean "all?"

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

That's funny. I just read something about how Horizon organic milk may not necessarily be organic--and in some cases has been known to be contaminated. I guess that happens with both organic and non-organic. Caveat emptor.

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I try to eat organic, my mom buys a lot of organic but it's in the end about the price. If organic is too costly, we won't die (hopefully :p ) by eating non organic foods.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i try to eat "real" food. since i run around 50 miles a week, i need all the calories i can get

18. _Matt macrumors 6502

ORGANIC RULES!

Whole Foods baby. Whole Foods.

Love that store. :D

My whole family has been eating mostly organic for the past two years.

19. sobolobo macrumors member

No. It's overpriced, and labels saying "organic" sometimes are just not.
    I like to ENJOY food, so I eat healthy but the organic **** is a load of nonsense. Unless of course, you are a very good chef and can make organic meals tasty.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've tried some organic products. (Strangely, I thought that all food grown was organic. It was alive. ;) )

I love miso soup, but omg, the organic version was bad. I didn't go back for tofu. The chocolate bar was better and the drinks were great.

After the miso soup, and noticing the people who frequented the health food store where I bought these things, I wonder if people who but chemical-free products are willing to ignore taste.

21. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

I buy organic meat 99% of the time. Costco has started selling flash-frozen Sommers Organic steaks and prime-ribs, so I get better meat for less money than supermarket fare. Now I just need to find a better source for organic chicken/turkey/fish than Whole Foods.

I actually found a ranch that sells grass-fed beef about 90 minutes away, but their stated prices are a little more than I can afford right now.

re: the benefits of 'organic' - some of the claims are extravagant, but in meat it's generally true. Little risk of Mad Cow (or similar contamination), better taste, not as fatty, chickens raised without being pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.

Fruits and veggies I try to buy from a local farmers' market most of the time - they aren't necessarily organic, but they're not Big Ag-produced and not processed.

22. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I grow my own oranges, mangoes, lemons, figs, limes, and avocado. Other than that, my opinion is some pollutants are good to bolster the immune system for if/when things really get bad on this planet! I'll be hanging in there like a hostess twinkie.:)

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I try to as much organic food as I can, but everything in moderation. And as healthy as I try to be, I enjoy treating myself as well - you gotta enjoy life after all! :cool:

24. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I read somewhere that if all of the world's farming was organic a huge number of people would starve.

I see it as massively inefficient and expensive.