Do you enjoy dating?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Oct 21, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Sorry for the blunt subject. But, I'm interested in hearing the opinions on this. Dating is not for everyone.

Some people would rather be alone and enjoy life by himself/herself. Some prefer engaging with other people day in day out and dating regularly. Some people engage with people at work but disengage altogether outside the work. Some people date because of the social pressure (to find a good mate to marry). Some people are compulsive sex addict to get laid by dating people regularly. And, some people are........

Note: this is about dating "people," not Macs (I know some of you are dating your Macs; just kidding) nor pets.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Erm... do you actually know anyone who, um... dates pets? :eek:

3. Silentwave macrumors 68000

you must not get out into the internet very much ;)

I'm kind of torn. I like it when it works, otherwise when it isn't working or isn't happening it becomes an emotional drag, a real obstacle to enjoying life at all. :(

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I like it when you can skip past the dating part and straight to making out in the back of a taxicab or on the girl's parents' living room sofa. :cool:

But yeah, dating's fun. I'd like to do it more, but not so much with the first dates and more with the later dates.

5. Silentwave macrumors 68000

hehe nowadays us young folk generally have all that preliminary stuff out of the way before they start dating ;)
    well, I did at least.

even after a breakup it sometimes keeps on going. you'd be surprised the unusual places you can start doing stuff. :D

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There is a guy who we see out walking with his dog occasionally – we have a suspicion that their relationship is unnaturally close.

That's all I'm saying on the matter...

7. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I've never had a date so I wouldn't exactly know :( .. but I think I would like them.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here, Skippy! :p

(Some of you will get this. Some of you will not. I will not explain why. ;) )

9. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Honest advice: don't even bother if you don't want to get hurt beyond your worst nightmares at least once.

10. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Based on personal values, I think this screws up the whole idea of real romance and getting attracted to the person rather than the benefits.

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I like dating. The pain that can come with it is just a minor cost when you find the happiness that comes with someone special. And plus, dating is the one time when you can actually have more fun than you've ever had before doing nothing at all.

12. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Beentheredonethat. Not a real problem.

13. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Creamy or crunchy?

14. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

So, how do you qualify your dating partner if you skip the preliminary stuffs (which is basically screening process for both parties)? Skipping the get-to-know-you process could be a very unsafe way to start dating.

I think dating can be a commitment to some extent as you would need to spend your time and money toward dating.

15. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Why did your original post say you have never dated?

16. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Since I am posting here, I thought I would cover a few grounds beforehand. There are some unique people on this forum (their uniqueness can be their identity on the web only or how they are in actual life on the ground).

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Why does every generation think they invented the concept of fooling around in "non-standard" locations? :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, I always hated "dating". I always like the early stages of a relationship, which I qualify as the point where you no longer need to wonder if someone will go out with you. The middle stages became increasingly comfortable and boring, and the end stages were almost always painful for at least one of us.

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Seeing women makes me want to put a bullet in my head. It's a good thing I don't own a gun. And I'm not attracted to men whatsoever, so I'm kinda screwed.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love dating. The tension makes me foam at the mouth. This can sometimes be attractive to the opposite sex and Onizuka. If I didn't have a girlfriend, I'd try to date people as often as possible.

20. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Dating can be fun but only if the person is a referral. I've never dated someone I met in a supermarket or anything like that. Way too scary. I would first need to know their name and do a Google search before considering taking it further.

Most turn out to have one thing on their mind and expect you to put out.

21. Silentwave macrumors 68000

a lot of people don't care about that (why do you think it is so fast-paced and generally bad for most people involved with today's youth)

other times they already did all that stuff well before formalizing the relationship.

personally I go through it all.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like the first date. I'm always the one doing most of the talking though, since the girl rarely talks as much as me. We're both nervous, but it's not like I want to sit there nervously, twiddling my.....erm.....thumbs. :eek:

But during the 2nd half of the date, the girl will usually loosen up (place sexual comment here) and start talking a lot more if things are going well.

Anyway, I like dating. I actually don't like dating so much, but I like the idea of finding someone to enjoy my life with. :eek: The dating itself is the screening process, so I don't need to know the girl very well before we go out together. "Roll with the punches", I say.

23. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Because some of us KNOW that the places we did things in weren't invented yet when y'all were young whippersnappers likeus :rolleyes:

24. cait-sith macrumors regular

Everyone has that on their mind!

Dating is fun, and chasing is fun too. I agree with jsw -- as time goes on, things get less fun. Such is my experience in life so far.

25. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Nah, I have this semi-phobia of people touching me that I don't like - kinda hampers the dating scene. There was only one time where I really liked this girl and I had to "force" myself to hold her hand, hug, etc. Not really good.

I'd like to enjoy dating, but unless I get drunk before every date I don't think it'd work out.

It's more that I get uncomfortable rather than it being an actual phobia. More along the lines of anxiety