Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
spicyapple said:
I've never dated someone I met in a supermarket or anything like that. Way too scary.....

....Most turn out to have one thing on their mind and expect you to put out.

But men aren't usually so concerned if the girl has sex in mind. ;)

How old are you?

Anyway, I met my ex-gf on an airplane. I "saved her" from some other creepy guy that was trying to get with her on that same flight. I guess she appreciated the heroics. ;) Extremely attractive model as well. I wonder how far I would have gotten if I met her in another situation (probably nowhere :p ).

Funny thing is that we didn't even speak the same language and had to communicate via an interpreter (a lady she was sitting beside on the airplane). Strange, yet fun times.

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't actually help her because of her appearance. I didn't even really know what she looked like until after I got off the airplane, which may have helped. I was also dizzy and had a fever, which probably didn't help. This crazy guy was sitting in the seat directly behind me, and my ex-gf was sitting 3 rows in front and on the other side of the aisle (she was at a window seat, and I set on the aisle seat in the centre column of seats (if that makes sense)).

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I use to date compulsively -- and serial dater they called me -- new girl almost every week -- or i would go out meet new people for 2 weeks --- then i would have 2 weeks work of dates (count 14 days, 14 dates)
now i just have multiple relationships --- all the girls i'm with know that i have other girls in my life -- i don't hide that --- but i keep how many to my self --- i feel that the degree of importance each girl has to me, the connection i share wouldn't be honest if i gave it a number.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
revenuee said:
now i just have multiple relationships --- all the girls i'm with know that i have other girls in my life -- i don't hide that --- but i keep how many to my self --- i feel that the degree of importance each girl has to me, the connection i share wouldn't be honest if i gave it a number.

I hear Utah sounds about nice this time of year. :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I think that we put too much pressure on the concept of "dating."

One thing that seems to hold true for most long lasting relationships/marriage is that the two individuals are best friends and lovers second.

To me, pursuit of friendships is the way to go. And if one of those friendships evolves into something more than that, you already have the foundation for a wonderful relationship. Plus, as friends, you will know all about your partner before getting intimately involved.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
sushi said:
I think that we put too much pressure on the concept of "dating."

One thing that seems to hold true for most long lasting relationships/marriage is that the two individuals are best friends and lovers second.

To me, pursuit of friendships is the way to go. And if one of those friendships evolves into something more than that, you already have the foundation for a wonderful relationship. Plus, as friends, you will know all about your partner before getting intimately involved.

Though with friendship many times you don't enter relationships because you don't want to mess up the friendship. Mistakeningly did that, and I knew it wasn't going to work, but still went for it. 3 months later I flat out refuse to be in the same room as her. She became totally crazy at the end (telling me it's over, changing her mind, and then she changed her mind again but didn't tell me - I had to learn from my best friend that she was other guying around). If I just only listened to my instincts and not my "omfg this feels good" then the little friend circle would still be intact. SIGH

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
7on said:
Though with friendship many times you don't enter relationships because you don't want to mess up the friendship.
Good point. There is risk in everything we do.

In my case, I have found that not rushing is the key. That may take years to happen. It may be days or weeks. It all depends. I've found that it just kind of happens. There is no plan for it to happen.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
the girl who i was after, hooked up with someone else at homecoming admitedly, i didnt go with her (not my fault someone else asked her first) so i brought another girl...still it hurt ridiculously bad so i've kinda gone into the whole, screw love idea and just get as many girls as possible thing.

I know sounds cold but for whatever reason (i honestly cant figure it out) this was incredibly painful and i'm in no mood to do it again.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I went on a date tonight with a lovely girl and encountered the same thing as in many dates. I love the overall dating experience, but there is just so much anxiety on that first date, especially if it is someone you don't know in depthly. In my case of high school dating, there is that whole thing of "should i hold her hand now? What will she think?" type of mentality.

Enjoying the date in my opinion depends on the ability to read the person you are with. I couldn't so well, i wouldn't have even known it was a "date" unless her friends kept pointing out little things beforehand. In fact, i brushed up against her hand and she my name like she was shocked and i didn't pursue it further. She then got closer and we held hands like 15 minutes later!

That whole experience for me is not really nerve racking but certainly isn't carefree. That however is what makes dating, especially high school dating, fun. You don't really know what's going to happen and when. It just happens when it does.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Well, if I love dating, but I've been off of the dating scene for over two years now. Having a girlfriend will do that to you. My last date came on June 15, 2004 with this girl that I met through a mutual friend. I actually NEVER seen this girl in person, I had just been talking to her online for the past few weeks. I was soo nervous, but then when I seen her she was beautiful to me, and everything was fine. After the date, when I dropped her off...I actually kissed her, she kissed back and we began making out. That was huge because I am normally extremely shy with this kind of stuff. That night, we decided to become a couple and we've been together ever since. I don't miss the dating scene at all as I am completely happy with my girlfriend, so all is good here :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Sean7512 said:
That night, we decided to become a couple and we've been together ever since. I don't miss the dating scene at all as I am completely happy with my girlfriend, so all is good here :D

Me neither. :p Being single sucks, and so does "playing the game."

And while I had only met my ex-gf on an airplane, what I forgot to say was that things still ended up great. We got to know each other while were together, and everything was new. Things were really exciting, and she was a great girl.

Sometimes, you can't just (1) Become friends first. (2) See if it goes anywhere. It would take you too long to start dating anyone again, and I think it just lowers your odds of success. Yes, you'll meet a lot more crazies by dating randoms, but you'll be exposed to more women, and playing the odds is never a bad thing in the long term, since becoming friends with a girl beforehand takes a lot of time, doesn't necessarily turn into dating and romance, and doesn't even guarantee success. What guarantees success is finding someone right, and you're not going to find the right girl if you only date 3 women short term over a 5 year span. Having 20 short-term relationships is probably going to give you a better chance, not that I have dated this many women. It's a hyperbole really, but do date as many women as you can.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Onizuka said:
Seeing women makes me want to put a bullet in my head. It's a good thing I don't own a gun. And I'm not attracted to men whatsoever, so I'm kinda screwed.

Seconded. Seriously.

Though I suppose if a girl wanted to date me (haha yeah, righttt) I'd give her a shot.

Being lonely does suck.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Silentwave said:
Because some of us KNOW that the places we did things in weren't invented yet when y'all were young whippersnappers likeus :rolleyes:

High 5 buddy, high 5. Great response. :)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I have never really had any strong views on dating, I have never gone out of my way to meet a girl.

I have been with my girlfriend for nearly 2 years now. My advice? Just sail through life at your own pace, and the right partner will find you. There is far too much hurt in going through breakups all the time (I should imagine).

My $0.02.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I never liked dating... which is why I've only spent 2 of the last 23 years unattached (neither married or engaged).

Commitment is the height of romance for me. :D

I, personally, don't like being "tried out"... I'm not a car to be test driven. And I can't imagine how some people use other people for momentary gratification. I've seen people treat their dates like clothes..."don't take the tags off or you can return them!"

No, dating isn't for me. I'd rather find the person I want to be with and get started sharing our lives. Dating is (and should be) a short term necessary evil that is done to find the person for you. People who do it for years, decades or their whole lives are just using the availability of people who are honestly looking for love as disposable items.

Other people aren't disposable. :mad:

:rolleyes:

So yeah, I'm not much for the whole dating thing... and don't plan on ever having to do it again. :D

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I dislike formal, structured dating. I just will not do it. In my teens and early 20's, I was vain, shallow and totally self-indulgent. Then I did a complete about-face. Not sure why. Maybe I foresaw karma coming for me. Regardless, I started paying attention to relationships. I discovered how much more enjoyable it was to share experiences with others.

I am fortunate to have many and diverse interests. I am involved with outdoor activities (professional whitewater guide), environmental activism, social issues, film making, youth sports, etc). So, I meet many interesting ladies who I already know share similar interests. And I can interact and get to know them before we ever see each other socially. It eliminates all of the apprehension, awkwardness, or hidden agendas.

jogo23

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
Germany, Europe, World
I just started my freshman year in law school and I gotta say that I had the chance to date 2 girls within 2 days but I didn't do it because of...
1. my really hot girlfriend, so why going through the whole process again when I can already harvest the crops I once sowed.
2. Don't let the girls notice that you are easy to date, not an attractive attitude for a guy
3. In most cases it's more fun to go drinking w/ your buddies than dating a girl.
C'est la vie!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
clayj said:
I like it when you can skip past the dating part and straight to making out in the back of a taxicab or on the girl's parents' living room sofa. :cool:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What are you doing making out with schoolgirls?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.