iPad mini Do you even notice the iPad mini has no Retina Display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hello..., Dec 7, 2012.

?

Do you notice the iPad mini has no Retina display after using it this long?

1. Nope, I don't miss it at all.

114 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Yes, How did I ever live without it!

79 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. What's a iPad Mini

20 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. macrumors 6502a

Hello...

This is for the people who bought the iPad mini at Launch.
    For me it's no longer a issue.

2. macrumors G3

Noticing and whether it matters are separate things. I have an older car, I notice that it isn't a new one every day, but it doesn't matter to me.

3. macrumors 6502a

Good way of putting it. Same here. I notice, particularly because I have retina devices but it just doesn't matter. The display is fine for me. And the interesting thing is that I didn't really think this until after I used it for some time.

4. macrumors 6502a

I do. I miss it but the other advantages of the mini are compelling enough to ignore it.

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors regular

Only on Safari, the fuzziness of web text is far more noticeable than any other apps.

The size and weight makes up for everything it doesn't have, i really do love my mini i use it 100% more than i ever used my ipad 3.

7. macrumors 68040

Yep, I returned it and kept the 4 for which I got at BF price from Best Buy. Totally worth the extra money to me personally.

8. macrumors member

Just as others have said- I notice but it doesn't matter since its such a great device in terms of usability. Yeah I'd love a retina screen, but I'd almost rather the screen not have the hollowness it has over that. Almost.

9. macrumors member

I've never had anything with Retina myself but have played on my cousins ipad 3 and I think that looking at pdfs, going on the web for a bit and using the piano app (garage band possibly? ) was fine.

I don't know if you would consider my view or not, but I did spend an hour playing and comparing with ipad 4 in the apple store.

But I think in the back of my mind, I'll always going to go for the mini because of the weight.

10. macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm _very_ happy with mine.

And that's from someone that owns a 13" & 15" MBP retina, as well as iPad 4.

Price issues aside, Apple has done a fine job with the mini.

11. macrumors newbie

I notice it (but doesn't bother me).

I also notice that, if apple comes out with this same form factor and weight + a6/a7 processor and a retina display this will be best portable device ever.

12. macrumors 6502

same as some others here: notice. yes. care, no.

13. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

The poll answers are kind of confusing and don't really correspond to the poll question.

14. macrumors 68000

I find it incredibly noticeable, yet still absolutely love the Mini.

15. macrumors 6502

yes, and it bothered me.. I have to wonder though, how many of the people answering No have even owned an ipad with retina? maybe a few who like the protability that much more to let the display slide but I bet alot of those either jumped from an ipad 1,2 or the mini is their first ipad....

16. macrumors 68000

azentropy

Going back and forth I notice it a lot. It isn't a deal breaker, but I do miss it and will upgrade when it goes Retina.

17. macrumors 601

18. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Notice - Yes,
    Willing to live without the Retina screen - Yes

19. macrumors 6502

This.

Haven't used my iPad 3 in over a week since I got my mini. I'm even thinking of selling it on as I can't envisage using it over the mini often enough to justify keeping it.

20. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

im in the middle... i want it but i really don't care

21. macrumors 6502

supertomtom

Notice it all the time but so far the form factor of the mini outweighs the lack of retina for me. If a retina version comes out I'll upgrade in an instant.

22. macrumors 68000

pooleman

I came from an iPad 2 so no big deal. I'm much happier with the slimmer, smaller iPad mini.

23. macrumors regular

I have both the Mini and the iPad 4 and while o do notice the lack of retina on the Mini it doesn't bother me.

24. macrumors regular

Didn't notice the day I had it (I've owned every iPad version and iPhone) and weeks later, still doesn't bother me.

I watch 1080p videos on McTube which look great, Stream videos online which are HD and they look great and Netflix looks superb. Games also look very good.

It's simply not even on my radar, don't even think about a lack of retina

25. macrumors regular

iPad mini screen was terrible when I bought it, and is still terrible. Lucky I not have to use, it..