Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
plinden said:
Hmm, when I first got my iPod, I couldn't work out how to disconnect it from the cable. It just seemed to be stuck. The first couple of times I had to twist and wiggle the cable to force it off, and I was cursing Apple for such bad design.

Then, I took a closer look at the connector on the cable and saw the two little hooks that move in and out when you press the two tabs on the side.

It was a slap-forehead "doh!" moment.

I'm surprised the cable still works.

I did the same thing, don't worry.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
mad jew said:
That's classic clayj. Having spent enough time with Windows to know that any problem, no matter it's insignificant size, is to be overcome with a reformat and reinstall, I have full empathy for you. :eek:
Welllllll... that's not entirely true. I know Windows well enough to know that you can almost always avoid having to do a reinstall... the kicker is that I tried EVERYTHING short of that before doing that. Of course, nothing was going to work as long as the speaker cable was unplugged.

The lesson here is that no matter the OS, you MUST check the things that are vital (power, connectivity, etc.) from a hardware perspective BEFORE you go digging into the software. Bad hardware will ALWAYS overcome software.

P.S.: I didn't get to go to my senior prom... the girl who I asked accepted, but then she called me back to say she couldn't go, so I didn't go either. I think I'm a little old to be going to proms now. ;)

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
today i was taking a math exam in my college level math class and blanked out at an interest problem.. thing is.. i was just studying one the hour before and practicing at it!!!!!!!! after i leave the class, i look at my notes and im like.. omg, so that's what i had to do.... i felt like a moron, still kinda do.. there goes 16 test points...... :(

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
EGT said:
The other day I spent at least 30 minutes running about looking for my car keys. I looked in all my pockets, kitchen, living room, anywhere I thought I might have left them on my way in but I just couldn't find them anywhere!

They were in the ignition :eek: :( :rolleyes:

And that's the tip of the iceberg.

ha, did that too. :p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....heheheheh.....yeah, that's exactly what I am talking about....you crack me up.....oh yeah!

You won't be laughing when you see pics of 4 powerbooks all short circuiting and broken and stuff.

but you will laugh when you see that pic of me chasing after my date with a stiletto in one hand trying to stab them in the eye.

...punk.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Abstract said:
And mentioning thei names on the internet, and having their bfs or husbands possibly finding out. ;)
So you assume the names are exactly correct? ;) Plus, of course, it was decades ago.... :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
You won't be laughing when you see pics of 4 powerbooks all short circuiting and broken and stuff.

but you will laugh when you see that pic of me chasing after my date with a stiletto in one hand trying to stab them in the eye.

...punk.

so you are going to stab me? at least i know beforehand. :D

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Don't worry KT, your not alone. Everyone feels stupid at some point. Like for example, today, I was looking for some HW and it was sitting right in front of me the entire time. Or the time when I was looking for my keys when they were in my hand!!! :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
so you are going to stab me? at least i know beforehand. :D

Fine, I won't use my shoe.
I'll get one of these:
productshot16gu.jpg

and put a water gun in the holster.

I'll mess up your hair good! no longer will it be perfectly coifed! It will be slightly askew and damp!! Haaaa!

...and also destroy a few more computers in the process. :p

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Not for quite some time, and that, due to the fact that I've found my stupidity to be quite credible.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
Fine, I won't use my shoe.
I'll get one of these:
productshot16gu.jpg

and put a water gun in the holster.

I'll mess up your hair good! no longer will it be perfectly coifed! It will be slightly askew and damp!! Haaaa!

...and also destroy a few more computers in the process. :p

so you are going to have that instead of a garter? cool :D
i still get to remove it right? :p

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
clayj said:
I once spent two straight nights, about 8 hours of time, trying to figure out why I couldn't get any sound out of my PC speakers. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I reinstalled Windows, and I even reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled EVERYTHING... and THAT'S when I noticed that I'd accidentally pulled the speaker cable out of the headphone jack on the back of my PC with my foot.

These things happen. The important thing is to learn your lesson and not make the same dumb mistake a second time. ;)

Hah! I was doing the same thing today, I DID crawl on the floor to check the cables

(Rule number 1 of computer support: Check the cables. Rule number 2 of computer support: Check the cables again)

I updated iTunes to 6.0 (a mistake, by the way. Anybody want 597 purchased iTMS tracks that can't be played because the frickin' software has forgotten what authorization means and can't contact the mothership without an error?) and blammo - no sound.

Hmmm. fiddled with software, still no sound, and none from from WMP either. Contemplated deinstalling iTunes. I was just about to reinstall the sound card drivers, when I decided to check my mixer (I have a Mac/Protools and a PC/Cubase system routed to ESI powered speakers through a Tascam TM-D1000 mixer)

The mixer is showing input in the channels, but no output. Pushed the knobs, twiddled the buttons, no joy. Then it slowly dawned on me... this is a digital mixer. Just because it's on, doesn't mean it's ON.

Turned off the power switch, and turned it back on again -- all of a sudden all the sound is working. So the computer and the software and the cables are all right, but I had to REBOOT THE MIXER!

Go figure.

I think I'm just going to go back to hitting things together to make music. More better simple.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
clayj said:
What is that, a Klingon cellphone holder? :confused:

All the perks of being a Klingon without the funky forehead thing.

and Tsk, tsk, PlaceofDis.. *shakes head in dismay*

/back to PlaceofDis's IM window
//Ak'la bella doo-oo-oo-oo...
///Bella ak'la doo-oo-oo-oo...
////La suhm ... La suhm...
/////L'kahtra ...La suhm...
//////Ak'la bella doo-oo-oo-oo!

I don't know Klingon.

machobson

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Once, I opened my eMac up to clean it. I forgot to hook up the power switch before closing it up again, and I almost took it in to get fixed and I was freaking out. SO STUPID!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
clayj said:
Sure as heck sounds like you do, Morf.

Google. GoooOOoogle.

What's a morf?

*preparing to get PWNed and feel dumb because I probably know what a morf is *

/had a star trek calendar
//william shatner is NOT hot
///set your phasers to.. FUN!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
Oh man.. that'd be so sad.. taking my PB to prom. :(
Don't worry! I'm sure you'll be scooped up by a pimply hormonal boy, I mean, man in time for prom... if not, a 15" PB is definitely not a sad date-- my friend brought her AP bio book. At least she decorated it so 'Campbell' was wearing a tux and bow tie. :eek: *Campbell by the way is the primary author of the text... that's how she chose his name, original, eh?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
iAlan said:
Have you ever noticed you find what you are looking for in the last place you look?

Think about it! :p

I always keep looking after I find it; what are you talking about?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
EricNau said:
ya, I feel stupid right now! I just now figured out that there was a "quote" button, before that I was doing it all by hand

It only took you 211 posts! It could have been worse. :p :p

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
devilot76 said:
Don't worry! I'm sure you'll be scooped up by a pimply hormonal boy, I mean, man in time for prom... if not, a 15" PB is definitely not a sad date-- my friend brought her AP bio book. At least she decorated it so 'Campbell' was wearing a tux and bow tie. :eek: *Campbell by the way is the primary author of the text... that's how she chose his name, original, eh?
I have a book by him...It's big, and blue, and has a frog on the front. I'm sure he's written many books though.
I'm using for Honors High School Bio, for the record

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.