Do you ever wish you were ignorant of computer specifications?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Jan 18, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don’t know why, but in between day dreaming about Keira :)p), I managed to find time to think about how in some ways I wish I didn’t care what specs a computer had, it’d be so nice just not to care, and to just get something when I actually need it, and not when I want it because of the need to feel up to date. To judge a machine on what it can actually do, rather than how “fast” it should run because of it’s specification.

Know what I mean?

2. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Oh yes! My parents are used to working on G3s in OS9 (of which we have 3), and since they don't use the latest and greatest, they don't lust after G5 processors like I do. Sometimes, for my pocketbook's sake, I wish I could evaluate a computer based on how well it works, as opposed to how it compares to Apple's latest.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lies, lies... and more specifications.

Used to bamboozle prospective purchasers and to bestow bragging rights upon people who need to get a life... especially those of you that have to put every spec of their Mac in their 8-line signature.

Of course, what you hear less of is what amazing things people are actually doing with their hot rods, their 'rigs'...

4. brandon6684 Guest

I do, that way I could be happy with me iMac G3. It does everything I need it too(although it could use a bit more RAM), but simply knowing how far behind it from the high end makes me want a faster one. Hopefully pretty soon I'll have an iMac G5 and I'll feel much better.

5. 3Memos macrumors 6502

OK this is definitely OT:

How To Stop Dreaming and Start Living: A Guide To Winning Keira's Heart by 3 Memos.
    Instead of dreaming, do it. First, you could work as an intern at a local film studio. Get to know the people, schmooze and climb up to assistant gaffer, makeup, assistant editor, etc. Keep an eye on trade papers, spec work for films involving Keira. The opportunity will arise if you keep your eyes peeled. Then one day, you may get to work with her on a film set. Approach her to block lighting on set. As you are holding a gobo over her head, look down, smile at her. Then if she smiles back, chit chat, laughing and making small talk. As the months go by on the film set, find the right opportunity to invite her to coffee. Keep positive thoughts. Once she agrees, go to coffee together. If you two click, hey dude, you don't need to dream anymore. She's yours! Good luck. Guide brought to you by 3Memos.

Microsoft got away from specs when they advertise their Xbox game consoles as most players don't care about that stuff anyway. It makes sense as computers become home media centers, the emphasis on specs and Ghz will naturally diminish to the point it is pretty much irrelevant, as long as the MC does what is expected of it.

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I know this was mentioned in a previous thread but the 'specs' of a machine is only part of the story. I've been to the London Apple Store and the G5's didn't feel 'blazing fast' to me. The g4 ibook actually felt faster (really...no BS) - the G5 hard drives were practically full and the ibook's pretty empty so maybe that explains why the G5s felt so damn slow....

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah it just makes me feel bad sometimes

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Man, this thread made my day, I know what you feel, I just was talking with my girl about that and she wonders why I do care about specs when she doesn't, she asks what's special about that what makes me happy from a computer. I could stick with my iBook 1GHz for awhile, not needing a G5 now, but come on, if steve comes with PB G5 @ WWDC :rolleyes: , I would think it twice... I know what you mean.

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If that Digitimes article is true then I'm up for a G5 ibook....though I reckon G5 ibooks this year are really unlikely. I mean, the ibooks must eat into the PB sales as it is so I doubt they'd move up the ibooks to being a G5 as well.

10. 24C macrumors 6502a

Get your point eDesignuk. Our best spec machines at home are a rammed up Cube desktop, and a beat up 667DVI PowerBook. I am not bothered what spec it is, as long as it's usuable.

What I find is this pursuit of usefulness takes up a huge amount of real estate, so a Mac mini after Tiger will be next purchase...it's not about the spec, because it's so called better than I got already, it's the all about the size and those latest apps and does it answer the really big question..."Is it so simple to use, you can just get on with it?"

The computer is just the tool to get the work done, and if it's work to use, the work gets sidelined. Less time working, more time for chasing your dreams... :D

PS OT,3Memos you "smoothie", should take up counselling ;)

11. 3Memos macrumors 6502

LOL. Wasn't it only a couple months ago, we were all screaming about how the PowerMac didn't get past 3.0Ghz? We were ready to plunder Apple HQ. Hehe.

Hmm... not quite sure what to make of your comment. Are you saying I need counselling or I can be a counsellor. :rolleyes:

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i just wish i had the cash to finance it :)

that way i could upgrade everytime a new powermac/scren/powerbook came out then give the old ones away

13. 24C macrumors 6502a

I meant the latter :D , but if you have a complex and feel you need the former, what can I say :rolleyes:

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For what I use it for, this G4 iMac I have is plenty fast. I'm with you edesignuk - I wish I wasn't so focused on specs sometimes too. At least I have 2 years to ponder before I replace this iMac...

15. 3Memos macrumors 6502

I'm done with buying PowerMacs. I am going to wait at least 3 to 4 years before I upgrade again. If HD video does take off in that time, I am resigned to buying another PowerMac in a year or so. :eek: