Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
we saw space grey going on the iPhone do you see the same happening with the ipads?

A matte black option maybe?

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
They will likely bring matte black to the iPad. Probably not Jet Black due to the manufacturing process and size of the device. There is always the possibility that they could keep space gray as I think they may do with Macs, since it is a very different color compared to black.

I think a 10.5" iPad Pro in black will be perfect for me.

Reactions: millydog and ericwn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
we saw space grey going on the iPhone do you see the same happening with the ipads?

If the offer Matte black and I really like the new iPad debut in March, then I definitely would be sold. I definitely think it's going extremely limited color if they offer Matte black.

And as much as I love space gray, I would love to see space black on an iPad.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
matte black would be good.

And while we're on the subject, Apple, how about some more colours for the 12.9 inch smart cover?
Yes, looks strange with my Jet Black iPhone and all my other devices Space Gray
Imagine a Jet Black iPad:D

Also, didn't realize 12.9 owners only have 2 options for case and cover, the battery case has more!

Last edited:
Reactions: RevTEG and Rina11

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If the offer Matte black and I really like the new iPad debut in March, then I definitely would be sold. I definitely think it's going extremely limited color if they offer Matte black.

And as much as I love space gray, I would love to see space black on an iPad.
suppose it depends if apple are keeping the matte black for the new designed iPhone 8 or if it will just be a black glass model.

sadxrad

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016
While unrealistic I'd love a Jet Black 12.9" iPad Pro to match my iPhone. Bringing myself down to earth I can see matte black being introduced.

Reactions: Rina11

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
While unrealistic I'd love a Jet Black 12.9" iPad Pro to match my iPhone. Bringing myself down to earth I can see matte black being introduced.

I don't feel that it's unrealistic, as they did add rose gold to the iPad Pro 9.7. However for the 2017 edition I see Apple adding the matte black option, while still keeping the space gray similar to the new MacBook pro with Touchbar. I am anticipating Apple's next gen Smart Keyboard with possible backlit and color options.

Reactions: RudySnow

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I don't feel that it's unrealistic, as they did add rose gold to the iPad Pro 9.7. However for the 2017 edition I see Apple adding the matte black option, while still keeping the space gray similar to the new MacBook pro with Touchbar. I am anticipating Apple's next gen Smart Keyboard with possible backlit and color options.
It is unrealistic because not even the iPhone came out in Jet black colour for every size due to production difficulties. Given iPad's size I'd say chance of it getting jet black colour is slim to none.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It is unrealistic because not even the iPhone came out in Jet black colour for every size due to production difficulties. Given iPad's size I'd say chance of it getting jet black colour is slim to none.

I'm not so sure this was not a clever strategy to upsell. Special colours are a great way to make a bit additional profit, like the first black MacBooks a decade ago. A bit more money upfront for a nicer product finish.

Reactions: boston04and07

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
It is unrealistic because not even the iPhone came out in Jet black color for every size due to production difficulties. Given iPad's size I'd say chance of it getting jet black color is slim to none.

Given the fact that jet black is only available In 128GB and 256GB is even more likely for iPad given that it also comes in those sizes. Some users wanted to be exclusive, similar to the $10K - $17K Apple Watch and rumored Ultra Lux iPhone 8 with Stainless steel sides. The unrealistic would come down to the physical size of the iPad. Whether or not Apple wants to jet black anodize a massive 12.9-inch iPad.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Given the fact that jet black is only available In 128GB and 256GB is even more likely for iPad given that it also comes in those sizes. Some users wanted to be exclusive, similar to the $10K - $17K Apple Watch and rumored Ultra Lux iPhone 8 with Stainless steel sides. The unrealistic would come down to the physical size of the iPad. Whether or not Apple wants to jet black anodize a massive 12.9-inch iPad.
I meant physical size of the iPad, not storage size
Apple offered Jet Black on only higher (storage) sized iPhones due to production difficulty and quality issues. iPad's physical size makes it very difficult to achieve high quality jet black finish.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
OP make even a POLL to this thread to vote which colour we will buy between matt black, gold, rose gold and silver...im interesting what colour will be in second place, since in the first we all know what it will be :)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If Apple expands the color choices, all that tells me is the new models are ho-hum on features.

As long is either SG or matte black are offered, that's what I'll get.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Matte black space grey. Honestly all these dull drag colors are depressing. My Rose Gold iPad Pro 9.7" gets compliments from strangers at Starbucks and iPad just look Preimium in white with the white bezels. At my dentist they don't even have paper charts anymore just white IPads. Even other places iPads are replacing cash registers.

I for one would like to see new Smart Keyboard Colors.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I would be all over a matte black iPad to match my phone. Will look awesome next to my silver MBP - love the contrast [felt odd to me against the space grey....].

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
matte black would be good.

And while we're on the subject, Apple, how about some more colours for the 12.9 inch smart cover?

I've been saying this for a long time. I've had my IPP 12.9 since launch day. I've almost convinced myself that Apple isn't very invested in the future of the 12.9. Two colors while all the others have tons more options. Even a leather option would have been so pro!

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
No chance of jet black. None. I definitely see matte black becoming a thing, but I don't know if they'd discontinue the space grey to add it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.