Do you feel cluttered when your desktop is cluttered?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Dec 30, 2006.

?

Does a cluttered desktop make your life feel cluttered?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I know I do. Whenever my Mac desktop is cluttered with so many apps on the dock and so many icons on the screen I feel that my life is so cluttered with it. The only time I feel truly organized is when everything on my mac is organized and I know it will stay that way.

I wish could have a second dock on my extra screen.

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

same here, that's why I clean about once a week. I keep most stuff in a folder on the desktop, so I'll only have the HD (internal and external) and the folder :)

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

No, I love using the desktop for keeping stuff on.

I just did some cleaning and have 32 items on my desktop, and 47 Apps on my dock.

:)

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

dock icons not so much, but when there a files all over the desktop, I go mad! :p

5. imacintel macrumors 68000

How do you think I feel on a 12 inch PowerBook? I can only afford to have MSN Messenger, iLife, Mail, iChat, Sys Prefs, and Photoshop in my dock! WHILE hiding it! I often get overwhelmed with icons on my desktop. I really need screen real estate.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yes, but you should see my real office. It be a mess!

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Yes, that's why I take a minimalist approach to what I keep on my work desk. My other desk is slightly more cluttered, but still try to keep that one organized.

8. Quboid macrumors 6502

I for one don't like my desktop clustered, in don't really feel it that much. But presentation is a big thing for me and a clustered desktop os not what i would like to call presentable.:)

9. irain macrumors regular

irain

I, for one, can't even properly function as a human being if anything in my life is cluttered. I can't concentrate.

Are Mac users just generally organized people?

[edit: that's strange that both I and the user above me posted a reply with the same openings (I, for one) at the same exact time... creepy]

10. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I feel this way too. I give presentations at school a lot and I'm always worried about how my desktop looks in case something were to happen and it was suddenly in front of everyone. It annoys me when teachers have crumby backgrounds and cluttered desktops.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'm not obsessive about it, but I don't let files sit on it long, and will end the day with a clean desktop.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I voted no but if it gets near filled I throw everything in a folder and say I'll organize it later, but never do. :rolleyes:

15. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Yep, it annoys me alot. Aswell as having a tidy desktop and dock I also have a thing about removing programs and files that I don't use, even if I have heaps of disk space...
    I don't like having "busy" wallpapers, I like it to be simple and clean.

When using windows I have to switch it to classic view, but then the default classic view is so BROWN (You can't see it untill you compare it to my custom desktop) so I lighten all the colours. I don't know how people can feel productive with dark themes.

Look how brown the image in firefox is, ekk ekk ekk

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It annoys me to have a messy desktop, but the clutter around my physical computer makes me feel even more annoyed than if my computer's desktop had some extra junk! Curse small desks and needs for many books and other crap to surround it! :eek:

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My only icon is the Macintosh HD. I don't know why, I can put all of my stuff there but I love to be able to hit F11 and see it all nice and organized (even though there is nothing to organize :)

18. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Can I ask?

Whats the point of not using your desktop at all? Why only the HD icon? Don't you think its a waste of perfectly good space? Specially with those of you with huge screens :confused: :confused:

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Not really. I like to keep it clean (10 on dock, 4 on desktop) But it really doesn't bother me. I guess I can go one way or the other.

20. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

One weird quirk is that desktop icons use as much in the way of resources as open Finder windows. Things can get bogged down if the clutter gets out of hand.

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Really? :eek: Never noticed that even when I had many icons on the desktop!

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There's many and there's many :) The real amount of trouble will depend on how fast a Mac you have, free memory, and all that, but in severe cases it can be a killer.

23. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I see a blank desktop (well... with a wallpaper!) as an empty canvas. Having icons all over my desktop reminds me that I have other crap going on. Sometimes I want to sit down at my Mac, open up a blank word document and just roll with it.

While my physical top of my desk is cluttered with pill bottles, contact solution, and other things, the digital one is completely clean.

24. Alex Urchin macrumors member

I'm a complete neat freak with my life and my system. Everything has it's place on my desktop and dock.