Do you Fold on your work computer?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by zelmo, Jul 15, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

First off, I know that the EULA stipulates you are not to install/run Folding@Home on any computer you do not own, without the express permission of the owner (or something like that). And yes, I've seen Rower's sticky in this forum. I'll still ask:

Do you use your work computer to Fold?
    If so, did you get approval to do so?

2. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I was for a while, but I thought it would be wise to cease. Getting permission really is the way to go. I work for a large company, though, so the prospect would be a) daunting and b) impossible. :eek:

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I was, but had some problems with the firewall. Folding couldn't get through, and the IT department also couldn't figure it out and didn't want to spend to much time into it because they didn't support the app. At first I emailed a finished WU to home, opened VPC to send the windoos WU to Stanford and get a new one. Emailed that back to work, but the emailserver@work always said that it was a virus! So, had to upload the new WU to a website and download it at work (don't have an usb stick, do have an iPodwith firewire, but my workpc doesn't have firewire :(). At first this worked, but later, when I did it with several WU's, I didn't get any points for them. So I stopped. Especially because that was the only reason to use my B&W for VPC, didn't had version 7 for the G5. Maybe if I have that, I might start again!

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes, I used to leave my iMac at work running, but it was mine.

No more, sold it to them. :(

5. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Yup

Heya,

My techies pretty much trust me to install whatever I want on my own machine (and gave me admin privileges). They know I don't use illegal copies of anything, and they trust me to only use shareware that has been verified through reputable services (VersionTracker, etc.)

They first noticed F@H when my computer was having trouble with something else and they noticed me running at 100% CPU. After explaining what F@H was and how "Nice" programs worked, I just had to promise them Stanford wouldn't send me any viruses.

The good news is that we have 4 macs in our training room that I've recently convinced them to upgrade to OSX. Since I'm the only one who knows anything about OSX, I pretty much have control of those machines, so they all fold for my team. I named each of them (their F@H usernames) after the tech guys to try to get them into folding. And I get by keeping them on all night using "the Unix core runs Cron utilities during the night" as my excuse. ;)

It's all good. And one of these days, I'll convince them to add their own machines (one has, but he joined a team he found for a forum he hangs out on.)

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I do but then again I work for a small company where each person is responsible for their own computer. Myself and one other employee provide most of the more advanced tech support when things go bad. I've installed the client on a few machines that have a lot of idle time, with the promise that if they ever cause any problems they will be removed.

The work computers count for more than half of my output.

The other employee folds as well but I don't believe it's the same as the Stanford folding.

7. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

Yes... (plus a rant)

I don't own the computer, BUT I am the computer tech... so I gave myself permission :D

I also do have a copy running at the local Toyota dealership which they don't know about... its my revenge of sorts. :mad: I had to get my coolant flushed and took it to a local place. They opened up my radiator and said "We don't have that color of coolant. You have to take it to the dealership." So the next week I took it there and WAITED for 3 HOURS!... how long does it take to flush the radiator?! I had an appointment! I have a busy life! So after about 2hrs I installed folding on their waiting room PC. Those hemopheliac monkies! Oh well, I don't feel bad. They deserve it! :mad: Probably weren't using it anyway... and its still running :rolleyes:
    -mcg

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you use your work computer to Fold? Yes
    If so, did you get approval to do so? No

But considering that the company I work for only has 3 employees, I'm certain that the boss wouldn't care :rolleyes:

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Time to make some problems and regain my spot @ #38! :D I'm coming for you atszyman! Watch your back (or your computers)!

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

LOL! You go MrCommunistGen!

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

no work machines -> no points for me

the main folding contributors are 32 dell dimension 4700

i also do RC5 for xlr8yourmac, i'm ranked 19th overall for the project

i prob have about 40+ macs on RC5, plus the local frys and compusa :)

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

As of today, I started folding@work again. through the above mentioned standard procedure! :D

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

14. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have it running on 3 work computers.. My employer is well aware! :cool:

15. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Being the head of the Graphics department I had to ask myself, "self, do you care if the owner knows?" "yes", I replied. So I told him and showed him the entire story. Since I was, at the time, just returning from cancer surgery he was very interested in Folding and the whole show, and was glad I could do something of this caliber. Since the company was sold the new owner informed me his wife survived breast cancer and he also was willing to allow me to continue. I now have a new 3.1 Hz DELL and 2 G4-800s at work all running 24/7 Along with my G4-500 at home I have rocketed up the chart to #231 on Team 3446. :D :rolleyes:

I have also promoted the Folding@Home on the prepressforums.com site I am a moderator on. :cool: I have recruited several new members to the ranks of Team 3446

Keep On Folding

16. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    yup, the techs know its there, dont really care though.

17. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

For some reason I don't get the points when I fold at work (see the entire story how I do this somewhere above! (post 3 and 13)). I will try it for another week and see if I get points for those WU's. Else, it's a waste of time...

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I fold on PCs at work. I am the system admin, and the entire IT department for that matter, and I have started installing FaH whenever I have to do some work on a machine and I know that the owner isn't working the machine very hard/using it for some critical process. I have considered getting approval from my boss, but as they generally ask for my approval to install things at work, I think I am in the good.

I drew the line with our server, which I will get permission to install FaH on, if I ever do. It'd be a great folder, though, dual 2ghz Xeons... The desktop machines are used almost exclusively for Word, Excel, email, etc. There really isn't anything critical even stored on most of them (and definitely not on any of the ones I have installed FaH on).

I actually only fold at work, as my mini has a fan that scales up and down with CPU use, so running FaH makes it quite loud at home. The Dells at work have a CPU fan that runs at a steady rpm regardless, so I don't have to deal with any extra noise...

I'm also in the process of trying to get some machines donated to us (I work for a non-profit company) that will become 'spares' but while hey are waiting around to be deployed they will fold. :)

20. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Do you guys know if there's any way to setup folding to run during the login screen and/or when a user's logged in but without them knowing (except, of course, for the 100-200% CPU usage)?

21. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

my answer word for word.

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

On a windows machine just run the FaH client as a service... there is an installer on the FaH site that will set this up automatically.