Do you fuel your own hatred?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kalns, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Regardless of political, religious or any other beliefs, if you're perfectly honest about it, do you purposefully fuel your own hatred? In other words, do you actively seek out things you know will upset you in order to fuel your previously held beliefs?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think to a degree everyone who has strongly-held beliefs does.

Unless you're one of those people who don't give a ****. Then you only care about the Kid Rock-Pamela Anderson breakup.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Having Bush for President is like having a never ending supply. No Fuel needed.

4. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

But you do in fact have the choice as to whether you induldge in those things or not. Given that you personally can't do anything to change the situation, why not just give up fixating on him? Wouldn't you be better off?

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

We have Tony Blair for that, but when supplies run out there, We've always got your lovely President Bush to fall back on :rolleyes:

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

No, I don't. If this is a rhetorical question, that's all the response it deserves. Feeling passionate about something or coming down on the strongly agree or disagree side of things, I would think, speaks of caring and/or having thought things through to the degree that there's principle at the core. Hatred has never been love's opposite, though at times, it can be her/his abuser. They are part of the same family. Indifference is the culprit. Do we fuel our own indifference? :)

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't believe that you can't do anything to change the situation -- as we all found out three weeks ago.

I think there are many unsung heroes of that election, from the bloggers to the political comedians to the Cafepress political shop owners to even forum participants like us. I genuinely believe that, with our constant harping on the nasty truth (as opposed to what the administration told us), we helped bring about that result. We can't take nearly full credit, of course, but I do think that we did our small part to help push the dissatisfaction in this country to critical mass.

And besides that, as long as you don't get so angry you turn yourself into a jihadist, it's cathartic. The opposite is apathy, or at least surrender to a fatalistic attitude, and that's much, much worse.

8. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

I really don't see concern though. I see nothing but raw hate. I mean every single last little slip up is a reason for celebration for people. I think it's rather disturbing really.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I agree. Its kind of a downward spiral.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you?

There's too much beauty in this world to run around seeking things to hate.

I'm sure not going to listen to rush or oreilly, their only purpose in life is to inflame deeply held religious and political beliefs. I only listened to Air America once and that was enough as they were trying to copy rush and I find that despicable. Give me NPR any day, they take an issue and really, truly explore it. I always know that when I come away from their news program, the waters will be muddied and I'll have to think some more about the issue.

I want to learn from the world, not be pushed into a corner and have to defend a narrow-minded, bigoted viewpoint.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I can see your point. Passion without compassion is not only raw, but can be cruel and malicious.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You did see concern...at the beginning of Bush's administration, when we all were suspicious of where he was going with a lot of things. But Bush has been such an extremist that concern has rapidly turned into alarm. Even hate can be a normal response when you love your country and see what you consider to be somebody trashing it, ripping it apart.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

kalns- you make a great point. For me however, there are great stakes involved.

Do I have better things to do than complain? Yes. I would like to do a lot of things:

1. Get married to the person I love.
    2. Walk down the street hand in hand with that person without getting attacked or killed for it.
    3. Have my cousin come back from Iraq.
    4. Have my cousin who fights for me come to the wedding I can't have.
    5. Be left to make my own legal decisions that I feel are best for me.

For me it's not hate, kalns. It's the desire to be autonomous. That's not hate, it's self preservation.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Kalns, do you believe that the policy dilemmas that our government faces are important?

I think you have a point. People definitely seek out thinks that outrage them. Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Olberman, to some degree all media pundits make a living off of this fact. But the flip side is that if these issues are important (and I'd argue that some of them are not--at least not in the way they are presented), then responding by just ignoring what's going on in the world and focusing on having a good time is a bit immoral.

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

When I read this question it makes me think: do I take things personally, or do I categorize to where I get upset about things I can't control? On a small scale, I sometimes let the little things bother me. I believe that's a choice you have to make. It takes age and experience. I know I'm much better than I was when I was younger. Part of that is my dealing with my depression, so I feel better about my life overall. Plus, I've made a career change for the better.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's a pretty defeatist attitude. That's kinda why we're in this mess in the first place. I see a lot of ill informed people who either don't care, or worse, take side in something they know nothing about. I used to be like that, I didn't used to care at all, but I'm tired of watching things that do affect me and those I care about go so badly. I try to educate the people I speak with, or at least discuss things to get them out there. It's not much, but it's something. If people are aware, if we are discussing them, maybe we'll both learn something and be better for it. Look at all of those who once defended the right, and now are so pissed at them. Many former followers. They fooled me briefly after 9/11, but I can't imagine how betrayed those who voted for them feel.

I used to laugh at the jokes made about Clinton, many of them often true, and yet we are supposed to have some sort of respect for Bush, despite all of his failings. Not saying I'm perfect, or that everything he does is evil, but I get tired of seeing people defend everything he and his ilk do while attacking the other side and calling us all names for pointing out the obvious. While we criticize the do nothing Dems, the corrupted failings of some of their own (read the William Jefferson thread and see if we defend the undefendable just because they have a [D] after their names... hint, we don't), or the valid criticisms of Kerry and his douchebagery. If the next Congress is as bad as this one, I will remain pissed. If the next President makes as many mistakes, Dem or Rep, I will remain pissed.

I'm only fixated on it because this is my country and I hate watching what it's becoming. My eyes only recently opening to the long decline. I have a right, and a responsibility, to be informed of what's going on and at least talk about it, getting it out there, if not actively attempting to change it. Because if we ignore it, it will happen, and worse, no one will be aware or even care if they are. And frankly I'm getting a little tired of the Mommy state and the lazy media telling me not to worry about it. I am worried about it, as well I should be. If you aren't pissed off a little, you aren't paying attention, and are taking for granted the freedoms we are supposed to be afforded. If they stop screwing things up, I'll stop complaining. Until then, complain I shall.

And no, none of us will be better off if we just ignore it and pretend it'll all go away by itself.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The ebb and flow of this sort of reminds me of a Billy Joel song:

You used to call me paranoid
    Pressure
    But even you cannot avoid
    Pressure
    You turned the tap dance into your crusade
    Now here you are with your faith
    And your Peter Pan advice
    You have no scars on your face
    And you cannot handle
    Pressure

All grown up and no place to go
    Psych 1, Psych 2
    What do you know?
    All your life is channel 13
    Sesame Street
    What does it mean?

18. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

See the thing for me is I'm really not that concerned about what's going on. I do keep informed about the news, but I refuse to indulge in the rhetoric of the mudslingers on both sides which I know will plant seeds of hate towards the group I disagree with if I were to do so. For instance, when people compare Bush to Hitler I can't help but roll my eyes. Hitler was actively engaged in a war to conquer and destroy. Bush on the other hand was doing what he thought would make the country safer. Sure, it turned into a mess, but whats passed is passed so let's focus on what we're going to do with the situation we have rather than griping about how we got here. That's what I'm trying to say. We need to have constructive discussions rather than DEstructive ones.

Division harms the country. When idealogues dig in and take their pot shots at the other side, there will be no dialogue. Only rhetoric. I think I'm fairly objective when looking at these things, and I'm telling you, of all that I've seen of the President, I still don't see the evil power hungry dictator some of you do. I see a man with strong convictions whose failing comes primarily from being stubborn when it comes to policies that aren't working and also a man who in certain and specific instances did not adequatley weigh the consequences of his decisions. We need to be a country of ideas and solutions, not demonizing rhetoric.

Each of us has a certain amount of people within our sphere of influence. If our primary objective was to do good to these people in whatever ways we could, the country and the world would be far better than it is. Right now, you all are within my sphere of influence and I am in yours. I do not wish to squander that by stubbornly adhereing to polarizing ideas that would get us nowhere.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait- what? Polarizing ideas? Demonizing rhetoric? Can you honestly mention all those things and still have a positive attitude toward George Bush? He is the king of divisive rhetoric. And no, I don't think he has deeply held convictions, nor does he care about this country.

His actions speak so much louder than his words. This is a man who cares about one thing and one thing only- winning. And he'll do it at any cost, whether it be through lying, cheating or stealing.

Kalns, I get what you're saying. I understand. But to sit by and say nothing about what this awful man has done to this country would be a crime. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

20. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

No politicians hands are clean.

What in your view are the things that he's done to harm the country?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i liked it better when my government didn't spy on me or torture its prisoners.

22. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

I would venture to guess that that's almost never been the case in this country. The difference is you didn't KNOW about it before.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, just in time, we have this wash post op/ed piece:

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's always existed, yes, but never to this extent and never so central to the core of policy. the differences are found in the degress of excess, and the degrees these days are off the charts.

25. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

See but that Op Ed piece is exactly the kind of rhetoric I'm talking about. Is there some truth to it? Naturally, but the opinion and biases of the writer are being used to fuel hate and division. It's propoganda.