do you Get Things Done™?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shecky, Oct 9, 2006.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i am curious if any of you use the Getting Things Done methodology of organization and task management. i know its very hip right now and while i have the book, i have not Gotten Done reading it just yet (ironic, i know) so i am just curious how/if you implement any of the GTD ideas in your day-to-day.

i find at the moment i have a lot of habits for organization, but no system, i am wondering if it might be time to reconsider how i do things, especially as i have gotten a ton of work lately.

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes, I started implementing GTD around the beginning of 2005 and I think it has made a difference for me. As I've gotten older and assumed more and more responsibilities and obligations, I just have a lot of stuff to keep up with -- and I was having trouble doing that. Using GTD, I've learned to think about projects in terms of the next action(s) required to move the project forward, and the "contexts" in which I can actually perform this next actions.

I keep up with my various lists (projects and next actions) on my Palm T|X handheld, but there are more low-tech solutions that you can get started with. As you already know, 43Folders is a great productivity-related site with a lot of good info about GTD and other tricks.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I used to get things done, but then I discovered MacRumors. Now I just keep hitting the "New Posts" link. ;)

Seriously, though, I haven't read the book, but from what I understand the ideas behind it seem to be primarily common-sense. Just recently we've started really organizing things in our house; it used to seem that throwing stuff wherever there was room was easier than finding the correct way, but we're finally realizing that then you can never find anything when you need it.

We've reorganized our laundry room to be more efficient and utilize storage space more effectively, we've put better organizers in closets to keep small things in check and allow for more hanging clothes, we've restructured our office, etc.

Of course, with 3 young kids, it gets difficult to continually be organized because sometimes you have to do things just to get through the day with the kids.

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I'm currently trying to get everything done. School work, things that I was ment to do but didnt, stuff like that. I need to tidy my room, get a desk, etc. The "I really need a rest so I'll do everything and enjoy myself" kindathing.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Nnope. I have my own way of increassing productivity and that is fine and works.