Do you get used to awkward feel/shape of the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Nov 5, 2011
    I am getting sick of the slowness of my iPhone 4S but don't like the extended length of the 5
  2. macrumors 603

Apr 6, 2007
    To me, it's the shortness of the 4S that feels awkward now.
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2011
    Ha ha truth truth at first the 5 felt weird now the 4S feels fat weird how a phone the look amazing 5 months ago now feels fat :/
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2011
    Is the 4s that slow to make you sick of it? It wasn't that bad for me last year.

The iPhone 5 doesn't feel awkward at all after a couple days. If anything, the weight was the biggest change for me.
  5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Nov 5, 2011
    This is spectacular news, I can't wait to upgrade the speed of this thing. Just gotta wait for the jailbreak.
  6. macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2007

n0 doubt
  7. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Every time I grab an i4 or 4S Im like wow.
    This thing is short, heavy and thick:D
  8. macrumors 601

Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL
    A day or two and it'll seem like there's never been a 3.5" iPhone :) Plus like someone mentioned, with the size/weight reduction what little you +do+ feel of it ... feels great :D
  9. macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2011
    Buy it now. The jailbreak is out within a week or two perhaps even less.
  10. macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Sep 9, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Jailbreak is rumored to be coming this Superbowl Sunday.
  11. thread starter macrumors 68020

Nov 5, 2011
    Sweet! How much can I get it for? I want a 32 GB
  12. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2012
    If you don't like the longer iPhone 5, you will after about a month. When you go back to looking at the iPhone 4S it's almost unbelievable how small it really is.

You think, "I used to use that?"

You really do.
  13. macrumors 68000

Jan 11, 2012
    Eastern CT
    I like my iPhone 5 but I still think the original iPhone had the best feel.
    This is my original 2007 iPhone 8GB. I love it.
  14. macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2011
    Down by the river
    We have 3 iPhone 4's in our household, and my daughters boyfriend recently got himself an iPhone 5. Comparing the 2 I prefer the feel of the 5.
  15. macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    I've never found it awkward. Consider that it's a subjective matter.
  16. macrumors member

Oct 4, 2012
    If you think the iPhone 5 is awkward, go to a phone store and try out some Android phones. This is my first Apple product, and I deliberately chose it because of the size, weight, workmanship, and screen quality compared to various Android models. It fits my hand perfectly, and it's so thin and light I can carry it in my shirt pocket, which I always do. If I tried that with my wife's Samsung, I'd rip the pocket in no time.

Give it a try. I think you'll not only find it not awkward after you use it a bit, but will agree with me that it's a beautiful piece of design and engineering.
  17. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2008
    After about a week, I was used to the larger screen size of my iPhone 5. I also have a 4th gen iPod Touch and I adjust pretty quickly to the smaller screen size whenever I use it.
  18. macrumors 68040

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    It felt a little awkward the first few days but I've gotten used to it now. I was playing with my girlfriend's iPhone 4 the other day and it felt short and stubby. Surprisingly I've even gotten used to the headphone jack being on the bottom.
  19. macrumors 68030

Nov 10, 2010
    I did exactly that a couple weeks ago and came away feeling that the iPhone was the one I would want least of the bunch if I was buying new. There are some very nice high-end Android/Windows 8 phones out there.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend carrying any $700 phone in your shirt pocket. :eek:
  20. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    I loved my iPhone 3.

Then after a week with an iPhone 4 my old 3 felt like a bar of soap.

I loved my iPhone 4.

Then after a week with an iPhone 5 my old 4 feels short and heavy.

I'm anticipating the day when my iPhone 5 will feel weird. I can tell you when it will happen: 1 week after getting my next iPhone.
  21. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Sep 16, 2010
    Ky Close to CinCinnati
    Shirt pocket is where I carry mine. You will love the 5, really is not that much bigger then the 4 but you will love the extra screen room
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2008
    I never felt it was awkward, they shortened the black areas on the top and bottom, so the size change was not extremely noticeable. I had the Droid X and thought that was a bit awkward at first.

The big reason I upgraded from the 4S was I wanted that LTE and I got what I wanted, that was where the true speed difference has been felt. When I mess with my wife's iPhone 4 I don't really find myself noticing the screen size being much smaller, but when I am on the web in landscape on my 5 I definitely appreciate the 5.
  23. macrumors member

Oct 4, 2012
    Don't worry, it's in a rubberized sleeve that keeps it from falling out even if I'm completely bent over picking up pennies off the sidewalk. :)
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2012
    Boston, MA
    It doesn't feel awkward anymore after using it for a few weeks.
  25. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Never felt that the iPhone 5 felt awkward at all.