Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Does anyone own this bag, if so how is it. I really like the way the bag looks,also it looks big enough for me to put my stuff inside when I am travelling and it can fit a Laptop too. the only thing I am not sure is that is it a good idea to carry my MB in this bag. I am also planning to buy a sleeve for my MB, with the sleeve on, is this a good choice. Its called the ICON™ BACKPACK 2.0.
Here is the link,I hope this link works.
http://www.oakley.com/o/o1258d

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Get a sleeve for your 'book. Once you have a sleeve, any bag is a good choice. Just make sure to keep your book as firmly positioned as possible so it doesn't bounce around in a big empty bag.

Even if you're not a fan of messenger bags, this is why they are the norm for laptop carrying. They're sized and oriented in such a way that even when empty, your notebook slides in and doesn't have too much room to flop around. Obviously the less bouncing the better.

But the sleeve is the main thing - that will take care of most of the protection you need.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
yes definitely take clintob's advice. i dont like how any laptop bags look (as they give away the laptop) but rather just get a protective sleeve like Booq Bags or STM or Tom Bihn and choose your own bag.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I was considering the BOOQ sleeve but its expensive. The next alternative I liked was the Glove followed by Rebound. A lot of people have said that the Rebound is big and does not fit the MB with a snug. So I guess I will go with the Glove unless there is a better one which I am not aware of.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They didn't provide much information but, with the sleeve, it should be enough.

I currently use a Crumpler photographer's backpack with room for a computer and the slot is just right with a photo portfolio, but it's obviously made big enough for a Windows machine and my PowerBook would move back and forth.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Any suggestions which sleeve should I get. BOOQ, GLOVE or REBOUND for my MB. Consedering the price of BOOQ sleeves to be higher. Which would protect the MB the most for shock and bumps if any.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I have this backpack in black. It does have a compartment where you can slide a laptop or something. I use it for notebooks(not the computer one), and it's got a pretty nice cushion, but it's right next to your back when you put it on. It's a HUGE backpack in general, with multiple compartments and stuff, but it can be a nuisance most of the time.

I can put up pictures if you really want.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
First off, if you have a $1300+ computer ($2000+ if it's an MBP), please don't be cheap with the sleeve! The Booq sleeves are only like $50 - it's silly not to pay that to protect your investment.

That said, if you want options, the InCase sleeves they sell right through the Apple Store are pretty good, and a bit cheaper. I had one of these and it was perfectly acceptable:
Apple Store (U.S.) - Notebook Cases

I've heard good things about the Shinza sleeves here:
Shinza :: Notebook Cases

Or you can try any of the ones on this page - they've been reviewed so you have some idea what you're getting beforehand:
TUAW.com | A quick glance at MacBook sleeve cases

bibbyjai

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Does anyone own this bag, if so how is it. I really like the way the bag looks,also it looks big enough for me to put my stuff inside when I am travelling and it can fit a Laptop too. the only thing I am not sure is that is it a good idea to carry my MB in this bag. I am also planning to buy a sleeve for my MB, with the sleeve on, is this a good choice. Its called the ICON™ BACKPACK 2.0.
Here is the link,I hope this link works.
http://www.oakley.com/o/o1258d

I have this bag, it's damn pricy I would say. But I've taken it on a trip with the laptop to Asia and I think everything worked great. However, I would suggest that you buy a sleeve with it before you put it in the bag. I think it'll fit a MacBook (13'), but it won't fit a 15' with sleeves.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks clintob for those links. and thanks bibbyjai for your comments also. bibbyjai since the Oakley website does not show detailed pictures of the bag could you please post some pictures of the bag I just need to see how does it look from inside.

Also since you mentioned that you took it for your Asia trip, does it hold a lot of stuff inside including the laptop. I one bag to carry around all my stuff when I am travelling. Also I think I will get the Booq Sleeves as I think it will protect the MB well. But I hope the Oakley bag will be able to fit the MB with the sleeve inside the Bag.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
BOOQ Sleeve

Where to buy the Booq Sleeve for the MB. The booq website, has a pricey shipping rate of $9.95 for regular ground shipping. Does anyone know where else can the Booq sleeve be bought from a relaible reseller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.