Do you hate telemarketers?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacBandit, Jul 7, 2003.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If you hate those annoying calls as much as I do then don't forget to register at the National Do Not Call List. It's free.

http://donotcall.gov/

2. pEZ macrumors 6502

Done, the day it started. Lets just hope it works well enough to make a difference, come October.

3. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think it will. There are already tele-marketers that are losing there jobs because of this. Seems like it's having an impact before it has even started.

4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I've been on a state-wide no call list for a few months now. I think there were quite a few states that had them.

5. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I hope this works.

I hope there is not an exception for companies that I have a "relationship" with. It seems that most of the spam phone calls I get are from subsidiaries of subsidiaries of second cousins of companies I do business with, e.g., newspaper, bank, insurance company.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Prepare to be disappointed because there are a lot of exceptions. Ones that I can think of off the top of my head:

charities
    surveys
    companies you already have business with
    political advertising

But at least the registery kills some calls.

P-Worm

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can see other companies paying Citibank's telemarking operation to run a campaign for them instead of the company buying the list and doing it themselves.

If that's the case I can see quite a few companies that need the cash saying they'll stop selling your name to third-parties and sell you the other companies product themselves.

But expect more garbage to be included with "official" correnspondence from companies you already deal with.

Call up Citibank and end up hearing advertisements for other companies while you are on hold.

Open up a Citibank e-mail and see the included third-party spam embedded in the e-mail.

Open up a pony express billing and watch the garbage advertisements fall out.

etc.

8. Steradian macrumors 6502

I don't hate them they are only doing there Jobs, I really don't think that they enjoy calling in the middle of peoples dinners and being subjected to pestering from there callers. It is just sad that people Have to do such a job for a living. Although I have Signed up for this don't call :D

9. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

I honestly don't like those people. They annoy the heck out of me. Always calling and waking me up in the morning on my summer break. Makes me mad. I already signed up for the National Do Not Call list. Hopefully this doesn't mean more spam or regular junk mail.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't hate them, they are just doing their job. The only calls that I usually get is from charities. I signed up for the "Do Not Call List" about a week ago. Just hoping that the loop hole they find isn't worse.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Done. Thanks for the link.

There are other ways to make money, I don't feel sorry for telemarketers at all. Especially after being scamed by one. Selling is one thing, but telemarketing is worse than spam.

-

Seinfeld (to telemarketer): I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number, and I'll call you back later.

Telemarketer: I'm afraid we can't do that.

Seinfeld: Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you and bugging you at home.

Telemarketer: Right.

Seinfeld: Well now you know how I feel.

12. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I haven't had a telemarketer call in almost two years now, I kinda miss messing with them :)

My secret, I just got rid of my landline.
    I didn't need it, I've got my cell phone and a cable modem thats it! One phone number where ever you are in the country, long distance included (no stupid charges if you opt out of it too, FU Quest), and not one single telemarketer. I've got enough minutes to cover all my needs (I've never been over), you get so many that unless your a 14yo girl you shouldn't have to worry.

13. Das macrumors regular

Yah, I don't hate them, much like I don't hate gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe, but I don't exactly love to hear their beckoning call as I stumble out of the shower. We get on average 4 calls an hour from telemarketers and it's annoying as heck. I envy those who only get junk mail or spam.

Really though, I feel no pain for telemarketing companies. They can't seem to get the fact that if a person hates being called on so much that they actually willingly go out and fill out a government form, they probably aren't going to want to buy aluminum siding for their tomb stone for a low, low price.

14. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I don't necessarily hate the actual people doing the telemarketing calls, as long as they're not the hard-sell types who don't take no for an answer. Otherwise, I just tell them politely to remove me from the calling list. Most of them are just low-skill people trying to earn a living, and I take no issue with where they managed to find work in this economy.

As an industry, though, telemarketing is a vile abberation. Bad enough that I am exposed to a barrage of advertising and branding the second I step outside my house, or invite the world into my home through radio or television. But to have those ads intruded into my home through my mail, my phone, or my email as the inevitable price of giving the world a way to contact me is NOT acceptable. It's the equivalent of the guy knocking on your door who wants to sell you vacuums or whatever. There's a reason that kind of soliciting is outlawed in many parts of the country. It's an intrusion. It's rude. It doesn't respect my space. And why should I buy anything at all from a person or company who so disrespects me?

And HOW can the marketing people not like the national opt-out list? A way to narrow down your target audience is every marketer's dream! Maybe it's because they've KNOWN all these years that no one really wants them to do what they do!

It's about bloody time we were given some kind of way to say unto such people: I am NEVER going to buy anything from you. Stop wasting my time and yours. Go Away!!

*pant pant pant*

I know I'm ranting to the choir, here, but thanks for reading. I feel better now.... :D

15. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i signed up for it when it first started. there will be plent of people to find loop-holes:D

16. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i have always asked for that when i got a new number.

i get zero phone spam! :)

17. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I've never understood the rabid hatred of these types of calls, nor the apparent psychological compulsion to answer the phone whenever it rings.

What the heck compels me to pick up the phone while I'm eating dinner? Not a damn thing. I just let the answering machine pick it up. In fact, I do that for the vast majority of calls I get, at home and on the cell...at work, I'll almost always answer. It's my time and I'll utilize it as I see fit. When I play back the machine or voicemail and it's an unwanted call, I delete it before it's even done. Big deal.

If on the rare ocasion that I *do* pick up the phone when it rings and its an unwanted call, I simply hang up. Why have a conversation when you don't want one?

All of my friends and associates realize this habit of mine, so the system works. So I dont' feel compelled to hand over my phone number to some giant data base in the sky to claim that I don't want certain calls...it just isn't that big of an issue, and, being somewhat skeptical of the whole process anyway, I don't trust the system that was put in place 100%. Anything that can be exploited, will be exploited.