Do you have a big dock?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Koodauw, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I was just curious as to the size of you everyone's dock. I like to change my around. Sometimes I pack it full of software, (in an effort to look like I have alot of important stuff) and other times I like to clean it out, and just keep the important stuff in there. I also like to keep my dock fairly small.

How about you?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Mine's bigger, oh wait, you said dock, nm.

I generally keep mine tidy and fit. I just leave apps open since they don't really take up any CPU time in the background. So my Dock contains frequently used apps and then 15-20 running applications.

3. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I only like to keep the stuff I use multiple times everyday in the dock

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You know, I had to read this thread title 3 or 4 times just to make sure what exactly it was about...:eek: ;)

So, in answer to the question, no, not very big. 27 icons inc. finder & trash.

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have 10 items excluding the finder and the trashcan.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my dock is pretty small :rolleyes:

the size of the dock doesn't matter- its how you use it :p :D

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I had to re-read it as well, but I put it down to it being the weekend and my mind is on other things.

20 icons inc F+T.

8. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

My DOCK is BIG! Bigger than yours!

My girlfriend is always playing with it.

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

my dock is hidden most of time; usually it's very small, but when you point to what you want, it gets very very big.

[magnification sickos!]

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

29 items including the finder and trash.

thought I may as well just show it.

Attached Files:

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I like to keep my dock pretty small ( that has ABSOLUTLY no relation to the other kind of dock :eek: ;) ). Just Safari, iTunes, LimeWire, M$ Word, Appleworks, Mail, iChat, Photoshp CS, Terminal, TextEdit, Calculator, system prefs (+ F and T).

12. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

17 items in mine (including finder and trash). things are grouped from left to right by type and frequency of use (i like to have as many open apps grouped together as possible).

used to keep the size quite small, but since i started using adium i keep it bigger so i can read the text bubbles on the icon (also, the duck is just so darn cute...).

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mine generally has 18-20 icons including Finder and Trash and whatever extra program or two I may be running that isn't already a part of the dock. I also keep the size of the dock around the low-mid range and put magnification on just slightly so I get some feedback when navigating. Overall, I like keeping the desktop clean and uncluttered.

14. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

I got 13 items in the Dock, plus the application folder. I needed to reorganize my app folder so I put a number of folders in there: Accesoires/tools, Games, Media Players and a Folder called 'Dock'! Most of the apps in the Dock are in this folder. So when I right-click the App folder it really is tidy. :)

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

16. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

not bad at all. having that many would only slow things down if you had hide the dock on. even then it wouldn't make much of a difference. I myself keep the icons smaller, have magnification off and also have animate icons off. with things set like this the dock won't hinder your system at all.

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Usually 12 items, but goes up to about 16 or 18 during more active computer usage.

18. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

HAH ya thats the first thing i thouht of when i loaded this page. But here is a picture of my dock:

http://homepage.mac.com/nusuni4/screen3.jpg

It is big. look at the terminal, you got to love it!! I was chatting in charla and yahoo messenger when i took the pic, please ignore those windows!

Please note: i use half of those apps daily and the rest i use at least once a week ! :eek:

(please dont yell at me for using IE, safari for some wierd reason did not load the apple page with the new ibook and pbook updates, it showed the old cache'd page, even when i emptied cache and restarted comp and reopened safari)

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

whats that i smell...?

ah yes...

OVERCOMPENSATION

:rolleyes:

20. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

22 icons in mine. They're all apps that I use frequently and usually make new documents with (as opposed to opening saved files, which I'll go manually find and open). I have them grouped according to function/type: Internet (Mail, Safari, etc), System (System prefs, Terminal), Word Processing (Word, Text Edit), Games, Creative (Photoshop, iApps).

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My dock on a typical day:

Attached Files:

22. thecow macrumors 6502

Mine is 12 inches. :cool:

Attached Files:

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I currently have 18 icons on my desktop. I happen to have them set at the large size. With my 17" Cinema Display, I have less than an inch on either side. This is an older example, missing Tech Tool Pro.

Attached Files:

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This is rather sad, 26 icons on my dock, and that has been slimmer down from even more! Whats even sadder is that I use 3/4's of the icons every day! :eek:

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've got 22 icons regularly, but one of them is a folder with the icon below. In this folder are my 25 "second-tier applications", the ones that don't deserve their own dock icon.

Attached Files: