Do you have a case on your iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatGuy007, Dec 16, 2012.

?

Do you have a case

1. Yes, I want protection and no scuffs

78 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No, I like my phones nice and slim

58 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. macrumors 6502

I don't know if I should put a case on my black iPhone 5, i really like naked things, only exception is the smart cover for iPad/Mini.

2. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

My 5 with a Zagg Luxe Lean is as thin as my 4 was naked. It's already paid for itself on a drop to a wood floor that would have caved a corner. Besides it goes on or off in seconds.

3. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I had a case, the switch easy nude.... and it broke. So now I'm just going caseless.

4. macrumors member

I have a case on mine but its one of those clear super thin cases that really isn't going to protect anything more than scratches on the back.

5. macrumors 6502

Yeah, but it really only protects the back of the phone.

6. macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I think with something as expensive and fragile as an iPhone, you should at least put a bumper on it. Gives you something to grab onto and keeps it from slipping out of your hands.

7. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't like cases but went with a spigen ultra thin air.

8. macrumors 68040

djransom

Yes I surely do. I have a Belkin case and I'm waiting on a case and holster set to come in the mail as well.

9. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I use an Apple bumper on my iPhone 4S, an my wife uses a Speck Candyshell on her iPhone 5.

10. macrumors demi-god

Arelunde

I'd like to go case-less, but I'm too afraid of dropping it with disastrous results. I have a wide variety of cases from a minimal clear one to a Otterbox Defender. When I think of all the care that went into the design of the iPhone 5, it's a shame to cover it up! But, I generally use a Belkin case from the Vz store. It has a smooth surface and covers most buttons without adding much bulk.

11. macrumors regular

I'm using a thin case, but mainly just to prevent scratches on the back when I sit it down.. I don't want to have to worry about the surface it's being laid on.

12. macrumors 68000

JetBlack7

I like ladies naked. For my iPhone 5, I'm using a Switcheasy Tones.

13. macrumors regular

Cases would make my beautiful iPhone look ugly. So my answer is NO

14. macrumors member

I use the Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 5. I swear by them. I was thankful that the Otterbox Defender was available at launch of the iPhone 5.

I had my iPhone 4 for over 2 years in a Otterbox Defender and it looks as good today as it did when I first received it June of 2010. My brother now has the iPhone 4.

15. macrumors 6502

Best of both worlds.. Sena ultraslim black leather sleeve so it's without a case when I use it. The design is too good to not appreciate.

16. macrumors member

No case. Dropped it twice from about 3 feet the first time and 4 feet the second time on concrete, corner first, and it just has a couple dings. The surprising part is both times I picked it up it was laying face down on the concrete but the screen is still flawless somehow. I have AppleCare + so when it's time to sell, or if it eventually shatters one of these times, I will just pay the $50 and get it replaced. On the flip side if I hand it down to my wife or mother the good part is they will still have AppleCare + for at least a year which is a necessity as they're pretty clumsy for the most part.

17. macrumors 68000

NATO

This poll really needs an additional option of:

'No, I don't want to make an aesthetically pleasing device look like an abomination by putting some godawful case on it'

(I do actually have a linen sleeve case I use when it's in my pocket etc, but when it's actually out of my pocket it's 'naked')

18. macrumors member

I got a case because my workspace has a glass table which made me too afraid of scratching the back of my phone...

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

So would putting a front and back screen protector and a bumper be good enough?

20. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

I am actually surprised the poll is as close as it is. I use my phone naked, but was expecting it to be closer to 5 to 1 (cover:no cover). IRL, myself and one other person I know do not use a cover....everyone else has at least a bumper.

21. macrumors regular

A simple answer here:
    No case if you are careful or do not care about a few scratches or having the risk to shatter the back glass windows or the screen.
    Use a case if you know you will drop your phone frequently and if you want to keep your phone in mint condition to keep a high resale value for in the future;

Dave,

22. macrumors regular

Yes, I have a case.

Kay's Case - Smoked color, $11.99 on Amazon.com. Hardly adds anything to the phone but will keep it from breaking if dropped and only the face of the phone could possibly get any scratches, which it hasn't yet in two months of use.

23. macrumors newbie

If you like scratches then you should put a case on but if you don't which I'm sure you don't then put a case on.

24. macrumors regular

trozau

I use it naked but carry it in a suede sleeve or leather pouch. :apple:

25. macrumors regular

iKIKO

I havent used a case on the 5 since bough it, and i even drop it once very hard. Not a single mark or scratch. This thing can take it very well. I dont how i read every day clompaints about being scratched so easily and stuff. Mine is pristine