Do you have a MySpace page?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Scarlet Fever, Oct 30, 2006.

?

Do you have a MySpace page?

1. Yes, and i check on it reguarly

20.9%
  2. Yes, but i hardly check on it/not that interested in it

20.9%
  3. No, because i can't be stuffed/ don't feel the need to

17.4%
  4. No, MySpace sucks

40.7%
  1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

My mum has just found out that my 14 year old sister has a MySpace page, and she's not impressed, to say the least.

It seems to me that almost everyone has a myspace page, and i was interested to see if the MR community was any different.

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Oh God, no!

I hate MySpace, ever since someone pretended to be me and put up a fake MySpace profile. It was like pulling teeth trying to get MySpace to pull the profile. Too much abuse, plus the site is ugly.

I have a Facebook account, though.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The number of fakers is extreme on MySpace but I understand from a Facebook user that it's looking a bit more abused lately. It's sad that people aren't satisfied with being themselves.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As with so many other things, I can't be stuffed.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I have 2!
    One Music page and one personal page.

Both of which will be deleted this week.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i have one, good for remembering b'days lol, and bulletins to friends etc but i hate the fact it doesnt play nice with safari, its the only reason i have firefox installed

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes, and you can call me Uncle when I meet with you somewhere nice and secluded.

Actually no. I just don't 'get' Myspace. I spew all my rubbish on forums instead.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Heck no. I'm all elitist and ****, so I'm Facebook-only. Now that FB is open to the public, I guess it's more prone to weirdos, but because Facebook is designed around the idea of "networks" (either regions, colleges, high schools, or companies), it's much easier to control who sees what about you. It has a lot more privacy controls built-in, so I feel the underlying system is much better at preventing people from seeing stuff you don't want them to.

For instance, I can restrict my profile to be seen only by people who go to my college (since I joined in college, I'm an Alumni in that network), or people in the Los Angeles regional network who ALSO have a college network (i.e. people who joined JUST as a LA regional person will see me if they search me, but not be able to see my profile).

I think this is a much better system than the MySpace free-for-all. It also helps that Facebook's page designs don't make me want to stab my eyes out with a rusty spork.

9. Lau Guest

I do, because it seems to be the way that all my college friends stay in touch after we all left uni. I keep in contact using email with some really close friends, but there's a lot of stuff going on through that. However, going on there to try and reply to comments always crashes my browser, which pisses me right off, and so I don't go on there very often, no doubt pissing all my friends off by not replying to them. :p

I've met some new design/art folk through it too, which has been nice, but if it wasn't for the college stuff I don't think I'd bother with it. I might be more inclined to if it didn't bugger up my browser all the time.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Wouldn't Facebook be better for that? :confused:

11. Lau Guest

Dunno — I thought Facebook was just for the US? Maybe not, but we've all left uni now, and they're all on Myspace, and I doubt everyone would change over now. I'm just following the crowd anyway. :p .

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You crazy people in other countries that aren't my country. What's up with that malarky? :p

Facebook is WORLDWIDE now, or so I hear.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm more elitist than some on here and I don't have a myspace or a facebook.

They're both a complete waste of time. Why do you need to have a webpage that really is just a total waste of space on a server? There's no real reason to have one.

Plus, they're just for skanks and white boys with their ****** Hondas. I like knowing that I don't need to deal with that.

And if someone really wanted to tell me something, they can call or IM me.

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Never felt the need or urge, and to be honest I think I'm a bit too old (44) for all that 'young people's stuff' :eek:

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Eh, Facebook was useful in college, like if you forgot to get the homework assignment and needed to ask someone in your class or other stuff like that. Now it's just an easy way to keep up with my college friends now that we're scattered about the country.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's been totally killed since almost everyone can get one with an invite code. Quite lame.

17. 0010101 macrumors regular

The first time I heard about MySpace was on a news broadcast about pedophiles using it tp lure 12 year old kids into their basements.

I figured it ws just for kids.

Then a musician buddy of mine sent me a link to 'his' MySpace page.

Looked like something Ray Charles would have made with Frontpage version 1.

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh most myspace pages look rubbish. I'm quite proud of mine :)

19. rkriheli macrumors member

rkriheli

http://www.myspace.com/kriheli
    i don't know why there are so many myspace haters. its a decent promotional tool for artists. i plan to promote my novel heavily on there once i get it done. publishing houses would appreciate the effort.

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

If MySpace doesn't die soon, we're going to need a subforum for it.

21. Jinchild macrumors newbie

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't. I don't have a Facebook, either.

23. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

MySpace is the root of all evil.

I am proud to say I have not once been to any single person's MySpace page, nor have I ever looked at a MySpace page intentionally. I was tricked in to looking at a co-worker's page because she had it up when she asked me a question. I felt like a part of my soul was sucked out through my mouth.

Absolutely Awful.