Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have a MySpace page?

• Total voters

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
My mum has just found out that my 14 year old sister has a MySpace page, and she's not impressed, to say the least.

It seems to me that almost everyone has a myspace page, and i was interested to see if the MR community was any different.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Oh God, no!

I hate MySpace, ever since someone pretended to be me and put up a fake MySpace profile. It was like pulling teeth trying to get MySpace to pull the profile. Too much abuse, plus the site is ugly.

I have a Facebook account, though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Oh God, no!

I hate MySpace, ever since someone pretended to be me and put up a fake MySpace profile. It was like pulling teeth trying to get MySpace to pull the profile. Too much abuse, plus the site is ugly.

I have a Facebook account, though.

The number of fakers is extreme on MySpace but I understand from a Facebook user that it's looking a bit more abused lately. It's sad that people aren't satisfied with being themselves.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I have 2!
One Music page and one personal page.

Both of which will be deleted this week.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
i have one, good for remembering b'days lol, and bulletins to friends etc but i hate the fact it doesnt play nice with safari, its the only reason i have firefox installed

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Yes, and you can call me Uncle when I meet with you somewhere nice and secluded.

Actually no. I just don't 'get' Myspace. I spew all my rubbish on forums instead.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Heck no. I'm all elitist and ****, so I'm Facebook-only. Now that FB is open to the public, I guess it's more prone to weirdos, but because Facebook is designed around the idea of "networks" (either regions, colleges, high schools, or companies), it's much easier to control who sees what about you. It has a lot more privacy controls built-in, so I feel the underlying system is much better at preventing people from seeing stuff you don't want them to.

For instance, I can restrict my profile to be seen only by people who go to my college (since I joined in college, I'm an Alumni in that network), or people in the Los Angeles regional network who ALSO have a college network (i.e. people who joined JUST as a LA regional person will see me if they search me, but not be able to see my profile).

I think this is a much better system than the MySpace free-for-all. It also helps that Facebook's page designs don't make me want to stab my eyes out with a rusty spork.

L

Lau

I do, because it seems to be the way that all my college friends stay in touch after we all left uni. I keep in contact using email with some really close friends, but there's a lot of stuff going on through that. However, going on there to try and reply to comments always crashes my browser, which pisses me right off, and so I don't go on there very often, no doubt pissing all my friends off by not replying to them. :p

I've met some new design/art folk through it too, which has been nice, but if it wasn't for the college stuff I don't think I'd bother with it. I might be more inclined to if it didn't bugger up my browser all the time.

L

Lau

Wouldn't Facebook be better for that? :confused:

Dunno — I thought Facebook was just for the US? Maybe not, but we've all left uni now, and they're all on Myspace, and I doubt everyone would change over now. I'm just following the crowd anyway. :p .

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Dunno — I thought Facebook was just for the US? Maybe not, but we've all left uni now, and they're all on Myspace, and I doubt everyone would change over now. I'm just following the crowd anyway. :p .

You crazy people in other countries that aren't my country. What's up with that malarky? :p

Facebook is WORLDWIDE now, or so I hear.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm more elitist than some on here and I don't have a myspace or a facebook.

They're both a complete waste of time. Why do you need to have a webpage that really is just a total waste of space on a server? There's no real reason to have one.

Plus, they're just for skanks and white boys with their ****** Hondas. I like knowing that I don't need to deal with that.

And if someone really wanted to tell me something, they can call or IM me.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Never felt the need or urge, and to be honest I think I'm a bit too old (44) for all that 'young people's stuff' :eek:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Eh, Facebook was useful in college, like if you forgot to get the homework assignment and needed to ask someone in your class or other stuff like that. Now it's just an easy way to keep up with my college friends now that we're scattered about the country.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Eh, Facebook was useful in college, like if you forgot to get the homework assignment and needed to ask someone in your class or other stuff like that. Now it's just an easy way to keep up with my college friends now that we're scattered about the country.

It's been totally killed since almost everyone can get one with an invite code. Quite lame.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
The first time I heard about MySpace was on a news broadcast about pedophiles using it tp lure 12 year old kids into their basements.

I figured it ws just for kids.

Then a musician buddy of mine sent me a link to 'his' MySpace page.

Looked like something Ray Charles would have made with Frontpage version 1.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The first time I heard about MySpace was on a news broadcast about pedophiles using it tp lure 12 year old kids into their basements.

I figured it ws just for kids.

Then a musician buddy of mine sent me a link to 'his' MySpace page.

Looked like something Ray Charles would have made with Frontpage version 1.

Yeh most myspace pages look rubbish. I'm quite proud of mine :)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
MySpace is the root of all evil.

I am proud to say I have not once been to any single person's MySpace page, nor have I ever looked at a MySpace page intentionally. I was tricked in to looking at a co-worker's page because she had it up when she asked me a question. I felt like a part of my soul was sucked out through my mouth.

Absolutely Awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.