Do you have a Sleep Number Bed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yellow, Mar 25, 2006.

?

Do you have a Sleep Number Bed?

1. Yes, I have one and I love it! Thumbs Up! :)

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Yes, I have one and wouldn't waste the money on another one. Thumbs Down! :mad:

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. No, but I want one!

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  4. Obligatory "Other" catch-all selection.

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My wife and I are thinking about plunking down the cash on a Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort. Well, there's precious little info out there from unbiased sources (Select Comfort Internet Ninjas??). I was hoping on polling the MacRumors crowd on users, abusers, playas, and haters.

So, do you have one and would you recommend it? Or is it a waste of disposable income better served on a riding lawnmower?

Thanks!

EDIT: If you do have one (Like or Dislike, doesn't matter), will you please specify WHICH model you have?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

We used to have one.

Through the night, my mom would sink further and further into the mattress.

Yeah, it's a really cool idea, but.. eh. Not worth the $$$ in our opinion.

They had #3000

3. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, the poll came up after. Thanks for posting KT!

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You know you want one. :D

No, but really, if I was going to plunk down a lot of money on a mattress, I'd get a tempur-pedic. Seriously good stuff, a few of my friends have them, and while they're weird to be on for the first few minutes, the 'form fitting' aspect actually works.

5. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

No, I don't have a Sleep Number Bed. I've seen commercials though and it looks incredibly comfortable. However, as said before, probably not worth the money.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would love one but i don't have one....i would sleep better i think.

Bless

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

My parents had one, but disposed of it in favor of a Tempur-Pedic. They like the TP much better. From what I've heard from others as well as the parents, you'd be better off with a TP. Dash expensive though.

8. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

My wife is so smart!!

Since the Radisson has Sleep Number beds on a deal through Select Comfort, she has the idea, why don't we go spend the night in a Radisson?

So, Saturday night, we got an exec room with a king size Sleep Number.

Bottom line: We didn't like it at all. It was kinda like a water bed at lower settings, every time you moved, it was kinda "sloshy". Higher settings caused our hips/knees/shoulders to hurt. Changing to higher settings caused the partner's air bladder to change as well, slightly, but enough to feel. And finally the motor was really quite loud.

I didn't sleep pretty much all night long. Very restless and uncomfortable sleep. I know it's hard to get a good idea about it after only one night, but sleeplessness is not a problem I typically have in a hotel.

If you are considering it, I suggest a trip to a Radisson to check it out for yourself.

So, there's no chance in hell we'll be plunking down $3k on one of these mattress systems. We're going to go with a new "cheapish" queen mattress, a new memory foam covering, and a riding lawnmower (thank goodness, I don't want to push a mower over more than an acre of grass in the 100+ degree heat of summer).

Thanks for everyone's input!

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yellow: you should this only try in store and you'll fall in love with the mattress and it has 20 yr warranty on it too:eek: compared to 10 yr on spring mattress .. The price is controlled by Tempur-Pedic company so any Mattress store you go to it'll be the same price

10. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would, but we both want a king, but are willing to wait a couple years before we get one, so I don't want to plunk down a load of cash on a queen TP matress when we will be changing in less than 2 years.

And there's the issue of the TP absorbing "odors".. I don't know how to adequately clean these things!

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Some mattress stores offer a 60 night exchange period .. Just use a Mattress cover then regular sheet set .. there's thin cover over the mattress that's washable .. but if you get any stain on the mattress it covered by the 20yr warranty.. IIRC part is: $1,499.00 Queen mattress/box then goes like $1800 or $2K for the king original .. Don't even try the Celebrity Model of Tempur Pedic unless you wanna spend a down payment for car on a bed :eek: :eek:

Edit: there's a smell from the mattress for the first couple days but the smell is from making of the bed .. walk on the bed barefoot for an hr to break it in or it'll be 14 nights of sleep 'til its broken -in

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Where is the "What is a sleep number bed?" option?

13. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Other.

And Google. :)

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Where's the "No, and I don't want one" option?

15. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Well, the wife an I are in limbo right now. We just ordered one (thanks to the tuition tax credit), and are waiting for it to ship. We bought a factory closeout, so we saved 500 on a 1500 mattress (the 5000 - "Our most popular bed!":)).

The responses here make me nervous, but her parents have two (the old one is in the guest room) and they like it and she likes it. Can't never say nothing like no to the wife.I guess that means we love it

I do have a question for people that frown on expensive mattresses (be it a TP or SC) - you spend 6-8 hours a night on your bed. Why wouldn't you be willing to spend a bit more for a place where you spend a full workday? I mean, I would rather spend my workday at a mac rather than the pc I have to use...

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Do you actually own a TP bed? Cause I thought they were cool at first too, but after sleeping on one, my reaction was similar to Yellow's and Sleep number bed.

18. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The TP bed is my parents,it'll be like week since they bought it and it's not broken - in yet .. the beds @ the store there beds have 9 months of use on them so over time the bed will get like that ..

Salesman said: Celebrity Model is sleeping in a cup of pudding with cool whip topping on top .. :eek: :D :eek: .. and the price of Queen in that model is like $2,600+ :eek: :eek:

that includes bed mattress/box..

19. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

I found that 6"+ of memory foam from eBay worked just as well and is significantly cheaper than a full matress of memory foam. It takes a while to get used to sleeping on "wet sand". The main problem I have is no matter what, I sweat at night and those smells get into the foam matress, no matter what you do, no matter how many matress pads and covers, etc. I don't want to spend $3500 on a TP bed just to have it start stinking in 5 years.

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

nbs2: The TP bed won't sag more than 1.25" inches over the 20 yrs .. the Spring mattress beds will not sag more than 1.5" inches over the 10 years .. Once you get the TP bed home setup on Good bed frame and walk barefoot on top of it for @least an hour to soften the bed and get air in

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

We recently had to remodel our guest room to turn it into a guest room/office, and as a result needed to deep six our old queen guest bed. However, we still need something for our occasional visitors to sleep on, so we thought a sleeper sofa would be the way to go.

However, the typical 4" crappy mattress on those things was a sure guarantee that our now infrequent visitors would quickly become non-existent visitors. Enter the Select Comfort sleeper sofa. We looked into them, but quickly found them to be, well, too expensive for us to buy for our guests, to be honest.

So we went to a local Marshall Field's Home Store and picked up a sleeper sofa with a built-in air mattress for about $1000. Still a little pricey, but it was nice and fairly comfortable (at least for the 3 minutes I spent on it in the showroom). It comes with a nice pump to inflate the mattress, which gets reasonably firm, in about 60 seconds.

It will be delivered on Thursday, so we'll check it out in more detail, but it seems to be a good deal. If necessary we can always add one of those foam pads on top, but I hope that won't be necessary.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

We have a waterproof mattress pad for our daughter that we purchased when she first was learning to sleep without diapers. It kept pee off the mattress, and I would assume it would keep sweat off as well. It's plastic on the bottom, and comfortable cotton on the top - so it doesn't feel like you're sleeping on Saran Wrap or something.

23. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

THen you need a waterproof cotton Mattress cover to stop the sweat soaking into the TP ..

here's info on mattress covers but they got all sizes for beds:

Item Number H83570

Waterproof Cotton Terry King Mattress Protector

QVC Price $58.00
    Shipping and Handling $5.72
    Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H. Click here for details.

thats from www.qvc.com :eek:

24. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm didn't know they made waterproof cotton ones. Most I'd tried in the past reflected so much heat back at me it made me sweat more.

I'll give that a peek, thanks.

25. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

the waterproof toppers used feel plastic but the one i posted feels like a plain cotton topper .. I don't own it yet.. :eek: