Do you have any pet peeves in movies?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bobdude161, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm feeling mildly irritated today so lets try to find something to bitch about.

What kind of pet peeves do you have in movies? Is it stereotypical plots? Non-uniformity of props or story lines? Over-used actors *cough* *Will Ferrell* *cough* from many other films just for the profit?

My HUGE pet peeve are movies that require a child to be babysitted the whole way, as in, has to be rescued or to not die from cancer or what have you. Generally the child has to live throughout the whole story. I don't like that. I find it very annoying. To me it seems to destroy the story and also is quite predictable (Transporter 1 was great Transporter 2 with the child saving was *myeh*). They just put the child in there for sympathetic reasons. For once! Can't the child die in a brutal and tragic way?

I want to see a babysitting movie scripted like The Departed;

The hero goes through great lengths to save the child and in the end he resuces the kid and there is a crowd cheering and celebrating his safety, but wait!! What's this? A long blonde haired lady casually approaches the kid smiling and says to him "Falconey says hi" (maybe a little Batmanish), pulls out a 12 gauge and blows the child 20 feet back.

You want to stun audiences do so in that manner.

So the moral of the story is: Don't leave me with your child

But enough about me, what about you?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

When cars explode for no reason. :mad:

And crap fictional movies. I was forced to watch Ghost Rider the other day and it is the first time I have fallen asleep in a public place. I couldnt do it if i wanted too. Even on a 7hour flight when I am absolutely shattered i cant sleep but that pile of poo did it.

Why did none of the cops question why his head was on fire? :rolleyes: :D

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I went over to my cousin's place one day, and we watched the movie Stealth. 5 minutes in, I said the black guy was going to die, the white girl was going to get into some kind of trouble, probably capture, and the white guy is going to come in and save her, and they will live happily ever after.

At the end, he said i must have seen the movie before. I said i had never heard of it before that day :D

moral; i hate stereotypes ie token black guy, heros/heroines always unscathed, happy ending, etc.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

You've never been to Liverpool then...

Me? Aside agreeing with Bobdude161 I don't like mindless violence, not like Smokin Aces kind, but the 'Saw' kind, and 'The Hostel' thatis just pointless and doesn't do it for me.

Bad films, there is nothing worse. Doesn't matter what its about, but if its bad... Beh! Troy for example... ****!

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Which brings me to my movie pet peeve: Movies that were books, but should've stayed a book. Sometimes the written word is better than a 30' silver screen, mmkay?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I hate the bits when people aren't having sex.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That reminds me. I hate stupid movies!

8. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Me and my friend went and saw it on Saturday night, it was abysmal and he fell asleep too! He is with me right now and says he's glad he's not the only one.

9. Queso macrumors G4

What I call a "Touchstone Pictures Ending", where 10 minutes before the end it all falls apart and everything looks pretty miserable for all the characters, only for them to have some big paradigm shift in their thinking, help each other out and finish the movie in a triumphant group hug.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and absolutely anything starring Nicholas Cage.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The woman / kid who stumbles over something while running away from bad guys and flails ineffectually before the hero/ine comes to get them.

I want to shout out 'Leave'em!'

11. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Got to agree there. But hate it more when they are having sex and all the good bits are covered...

But my utmost-ist pet peeve is movies are computers with black screens and green writing ...aaaarrrrgggg (we neede an 'aaaarrrrgggg' smiley)

I mean, are we still in the '80's or what

Also hate, but not to the degree above (ie no 'aaaarrrrgggg' smiley needed), it when the underdog (ie total looser) ends up coming 1st -- like that happens...have him/her/them/it coming in the top 5 or even 2nd but not 1st.

I hated both 'Sister Act' movies for many reason (was forced to watch with my then-signigicant other) and why oh why did the choir in the 2nd movie finish 1st? Oh, yeah...Hollywood! Some of the songs were good and I do like Lauren Hill, but the rest of them needed to be hit around the head with a piece of 4X2 - and twice for Whoopie...

12. Lau Guest

People who say "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed". They need to be slapped.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Raising Arizona was ok.

Or people run away in a straight line from cars chasing them!!:rolleyes:

14. Queso macrumors G4

Oh, I'm a roll now.

When characters respond to a crisis in the most idiotic stupid fashion that nobody in reality would even think was a sensible course of action even if their brain had been removed at birth.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, happy endings. Why can't the bad guy get away and everyone die?

16. bartelby macrumors Core

The old cliché:

Noises from the basement at night, lone girl goes to investigate!

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Do you know Ive always thought someone should make a film that kind finishes half way through (if you know what i mean).

The lead character should just suddenly die and the audience will be like... er... WTF?

You could advertise the film lasts for about 2 hours but plays music for the last hour after the guy dies. To confuse the audience some more. :D

18. bartelby macrumors Core

Like in Wolf Creek?

19. jeshepard macrumors member

Also, what about Leaving Lost Vegas?

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Lol, yeah, he gets killed in one of those 'big' fights they have, and thats it. The End. Quality Idea.

Never seen it. The closest ive got is The Original Italian Job.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

You won't like it.
    It fails in your Violence criteria.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You mean like Speed?

If he would have stopped the bus in the first place the movie would have ended early on.

While I enjoy the movie for the most part, the first part where he tries to stop the bus, really bugs me. He had many options available to stop the bus but didn't, and instead, ran along like an idiot screaming. Arg!

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Oh well. Prolly why ive not seen it.

It annoys me more when you think its about to happen... Thennnnnn no.

Or to quote:

24. bartelby macrumors Core

When they cast a scary looking girl who just screams all the way through the film!:rolleyes:

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think there was a Russian movie of a chair. No music. No action. Just the chair.

I forget the length, but it was very long.